Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NedFlanders

Lads, any word on whats going to happen with the Shamrocks - Kingdom minor match, was a few unsighly scenes, big rows and referee blew it up woth ten mins left. I know there a county board meetin tonight so if anyone can shed any light it will be greatly appriciated

5 Sams

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 04, 2011, 10:52:19 PM
Just before the shit possibly hits the fan, the county board are suggesting that next Friday's (13th May) unstarred League fixtures either become starred or alternatively are moved forward to Wednesday the 11th May were they would remain unstarred.

County board meeting tomorrow night to vote on it. The county pulled a fast one last year and made an unstarred set of games starred and got away with it.
Games go ahead on Fri night and are starred...I heard there was a few clubs not v happy :'(
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 05, 2011, 09:46:30 PM
Just before the shit possibly hits the fan, the county board are suggesting that next Friday's (13th May) unstarred League fixtures either become starred or alternatively are moved forward to Wednesday the 11th May were they would remain unstarred.

County board meeting tomorrow night to vote on it. The county pulled a fast one last year and made an unstarred set of games starred and got away with it.
Games go ahead on Fri night and are starred...I heard there was a few clubs not v happy :'(

You can say that again. The only common sense option now is that the CCC move a starred set of fixtures forward to Friday 13th from a future date and play the original unstarred fixtures at a later date in the season. Hopefully they can reason to this.

There's also a new team in the SFC this year: ASK Lecale which is an amalgamation of Ardglass, Saul and Kilclief.

Naomh Pol CLG

St Pauls 1-17 Bright 2-08....4 out of 4 ;D

dundrumite

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on May 06, 2011, 12:03:42 AM
St Pauls 1-17 Bright 2-08....4 out of 4 ;D

Ness, Saul and Bredagh provide stiffer opposition, saying that can only beat what in front of ya, fair play.

What was the point in passing that motion about the starred system couple of years ago if the county board are going to regularly star unstarred games? If the amount of injuries is the major concern, does playing two games in a a three days make sense as opposed to playing a club match 15 days before a championship match? I imagine last year we had Paul for about 40% of league games, which in the grand scheme of things is a huge detriment to us.

Banana Man

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 05, 2011, 11:01:29 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 05, 2011, 09:46:30 PM

You can say that again. The only common sense option now is that the CCC move a starred set of fixtures forward to Friday 13th from a future date and play the original unstarred fixtures at a later date in the season. Hopefully they can reason to this.

There's also a new team in the SFC this year: ASK Lecale which is an amalgamation of Ardglass, Saul and Kilclief.

Did i miss something or is this serious?

No1

QuoteThere's also a new team in the SFC this year: ASK Lecale which is an amalgamation of Ardglass, Saul and Kilclief.

:o

Sure about this?  Last I heard that was on April 1st.  Not a bad name for a new soccer team though!

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on May 06, 2011, 09:23:31 AM
QuoteThere's also a new team in the SFC this year: ASK Lecale which is an amalgamation of Ardglass, Saul and Kilclief.

:o

Sure about this?  Last I heard that was on April 1st.  Not a bad name for a new soccer team though!

Apparently it's true...our co board rep told me it was discussed last night
The Aristocrat Years

No1

Well holy good f**k!  The training sessions should be interesting.   ;D

I take it we still get to play in the IFC?

thewobbler

I really hope it's not true.

My thinking is there'd be 9-10 Kilclief men on this team, which apart from lighting the touchpaper for a spate of inter-parish politics and ructions, means they aren't going to win a Senior Championship match.

It'd also distract the respective players from their own clubs, and would make for a more confusing Championship structure.

No1

Banana Man

i think it will lead to serious rows, who will manage the team? will there be a rep from each club, if so who then has the final say on team selection etc

do they still get to play in their own championships etc

how come those clubs got to do it and none other? is it a pilot scheme etc

a lot of questions over this one....

thewobbler

:)

You know it's true though.

Even if the individual talent was there (which it might be), pride, passion, experience and understanding wouldn't be. You can't sling together a group of random players (with random levels of interest and commitment), who are used to Division 3 pace and tackling, and expect them to give teams like Mayobridge, Kilcoo, Burren or Bryansford a game.

No1

Wobbs, it's a valid point right nuff.  Sometimes the truth hurts though!!

The first question I'd ask is who from our club thought this was a good idea?  Maybe the players want a chance at playing in the SFC?  It's f**king strange and no mistake.

Anyhow, the only players from the other two clubs who would strengthen the Kilclief team are Michael Magee, Liam Mullan and Stevie Stratton.........................................

5 Sams

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 04, 2011, 08:06:40 AM
When is the draw for the championships?

24th May....streamed live on d'interweb fosta....first time ever for any county :)
The Aristocrat Years