Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on April 23, 2011, 08:47:41 PM
Quote from: NP 76 on April 23, 2011, 08:38:31 PM
Ballyholland hammered the Stone 1-14 to 0-07 Paul Murphy outstanding as the poster before said of Kearney cant see how he is not on county set up i dont know . In peak fitness still think he could do a job at that level

The Stone are gonna struggle big time. Thats two hammerings, they just dont have the numbers or have quality strength in depth to cope without their missing players.

I can see the stone and rostrevor joining saval and ballyholland in the bottom 4 this year.  There could be a bit of a gap develop between the top 4 and the rest as well

NP 76

Sorry Whitegoodman didnt make it clearer it was Murphy i was on about didnt see Kearney so cant comment

goldenyears

Unlike v Kilcoo, the Stone had everyone playing apart from Ryan Kelly + Ambrose. Harps were without Rony Murtagh.

5 Sams

Quote from: NP 76 on April 23, 2011, 08:38:31 PM
Ballyholland hammered the Stone 1-14 to 0-07 Paul Murphy outstanding as the poster before said of Kearney cant see how he is not on county set up i dont know . In peak fitness still think he could do a job at that level
I know its only two games in but if Murph keeps playing like that James can't ignore him....it would be good for the lad if he did get another chance but it would be devastating for us...
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

That is some win and scoring for harps without rony.  Id say privately the ballyholland lads would like to keep murphy to themselves. 

Incidently were do ya reckon murphy could come back in to the county side, i cant see him getting back in in the half back line, is he too small for intercounty midfield?  Could possibly be used as an impact sub if they are in trouble to bomb on from defence or midfield.  Thought he got too big over the last year or too, lost a bit of the mobility and dynamism which he had a few years back when he given dooher a bit of a chasing but if he got that back then he certainly would be a viable option for the county.

redandblackareback

Didnt see any football today but I seen ballyholland play the ford last week and I said on here they would take points off teams, they are extremely physical and strong around the middle! I do feel a bit for the stone and all the mourne clubs in general, I hear reports that atticall, an riocht, ballymartin have all lost a serious amount of players due to lack of work which is extremely worrying for those sides. Division 1 will be competitive this year outside of kilcoo, bridge and the champions burren. The rest are on a level playing field.

Anyone know if there are any games on tomoro in the top 2 divisions??

NP 76

Although Murphy is not that overly big he can catch a ball and has the power to break the tackle . Had abit of extra weight on last year that has gone and looks really fit . The one thing he has going for him is that he has a great engine . To be honest he never let the county down no matter what job he was asked to do . I know the defence is going to be hard to get into but he would be another option . I always thought he could of done a job at full back and with james system would of been protected not like when Ross and DJ tried him there and left him hung out to dry

whitegoodman

Point beat liatrom by 6 points the day, gonna be a tight league outside of castlewellen by the looks of it

alba2

[are you for real, i was at that game myself. You're either mixing him up with somebody else or your a huge fan of his. Best players on the park were Savals no 7 & 6, says it all about Burrens dissapointing half forward line really. Dan MCartan was good for Burren and Gerard McCartan totally snuffed out any potential threat Falloon posed. Burren in truth were far superior but did their best to hand it back to Saval a few times. Early doors.
[/quote]

Yes i am for real - what game were you at?? if you didnt see Kearney outcatching both burren midfielders at times - both of which were on county panel last year - and setting up 2 points for Daren Cunningham and one for Liam Turley - all in second half - then you had your eyes closed. He gave a great display. surely he is an option at this level - im not saying he should start - but could be an option. G Mc Cartan is a class act and will surely pick up Jaimie Clarke when we play Armagh - has pace, power, positional sense and a good passer of the ball. D Mc Cartan is a good club player but could be hard pushed to make the county team for the championship this year. Burren have serious strength in depth and can afford to keep players on the line that were regulars last season - other teams are struggling to keep consistent teams for different reasons...

supersub

Rostrevor 2-11 Mayobridge 0-10

goldenyears

Ford beat Clonduff by 8 I hear

EagleLord

Quote from: supersub on April 25, 2011, 05:40:37 PM

Bit of a shock result that. What sort of game was it SS?

supersub

Quote from: EagleLord on April 25, 2011, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: supersub on April 25, 2011, 05:40:37 PM

Bit of a shock result that. What sort of game was it SS?

I think the scoreline rather than the result is the most shocking from a neutral/bridge point of view.

Bridge totally dominated the opening 15 mins but only had one point to show for all their work. Rostrevor got a penalty shortly after to go in front and that really kick started their game. Began to get a bit more impression and tagged on a few points, I think it was 1-3 0-4 at half time something along those lines. 2nd half was going the same way as latter part of first with reds leading 1-5 0-7 but then the bridge seemed to take control of proceedings and went 2 points ahead and looked like they were going to steamroll rostrevor for the rest of the game. But the reds came back with a couple of points and then another goal to go in front and the bridge failed to score again before a free and another point sealed it for rostrevor.

Really a good work rate and positive attitude won it for the boys. Bridge looked short up front and only when their subs came on at the start of the second half did they work any real scoring chances.

sabhallphadraig

ACL4: Drumaness 2-12 Saul 4-8

Really got out of jail on this one. Ahead once in the game with a last minute goal. Drumaness have some excellent talent and will go far this year and felt for them at the end even though delighted with the 2 pts that I didn"t see coming halfway thru the 2nd half when 7pts down. Add in Stratts fantastic save with 4 mins left to avoid going 4 behind and its a game I'd watch again if it was filmed - full of action. 

sebastion

Drumgath  2-7   Banbridge  1-9