Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knockitdown

What time is the bridge v burren game tomorrow?

ardtole

Il go with

Div1  Burren
Div2  Castlewellan
Div3  Tullylish
Div4   Saul

bridge fan

dundrumite

Quote from: supersub on April 16, 2011, 07:14:10 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on April 16, 2011, 03:08:34 AM
Quote from: supersub on April 15, 2011, 10:00:20 PM
I am not one normally for condeming individuals but how Leo Smyth is given senior league games to referee defeats me! He was terrible from start to finish tonight for both sides. It was a poor game in fairness and we didn't deserve to win but that doesn't take away from the bewildering decisions he made during play. Saval were winning the whole game until we got a goal in injury time (which was dodgy), only for them to draw level even deeper in injury time (which was twice as long as he indicated but no matter). I don't blame him for rostrevor playing badly obviously as Saval were far better especially in first half, but I can't understand how referees can get away with making such shocking errors in 'judgment'. To add to this it was ridiculous that danny Hughes didn't get sent off, he clearly punched one of our lads twice in the face in front of Leo but somehow our man got booked. Dont know whether this was protection (blind eye) for county men but it was just another decision he got terribly wrong. Both sides agreed at the end that he was very poor.

I was not at the game but i don't like the attack on a clubmate!! I was talking to three Bridge men tonight who were at the game  and who i would  classify as over  critical fans. They said that Leo refereed the game well and let the game go!

I would say either set of players/management would have a very different view. A blatant punch in the face going unpunished is just one example. I think that is letting the game go taken to the extreme no harm to him. Also our goal was very dodgy. One example from each side, of Which there were plenty.

As for giving out about people on here, I see it nearly every week with criticism of individuals, (mainly county players) here and other threads. Nothing is ever said. Just because it is more localised and more people know him personally doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticised.

Too be fair I am in Tom's camp on this and would be against naming individual refs who are deemed to have bad performances. Did all the Rostrevor players play well? I doubt it, yet they don't receive criticism (am not advocating that either). Just gets on my goat that people can come on here behind a pseudonym and criticise individual referees. As you pointed out it happens every week and I suppose that is the nature of this board but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

Pangurban

While general comment on refereeing standards and decisions is acceptable, the over the top comments amounting to personal abuse of individual refs. is certainly not. There is not too much competition for refereeing posts, and we should be grateful and encouraging to all the people who take up the whistle. Yes they make mistakes, sometimes big ones, they are only human, but i will warrant that they are more often right than their usually partisan critics

supersub

No they certainly did not and they will receive a lot more personal criticism behind their backs in more public domains than this board that is for sure. But that is the nature of the game, people talk about it and criticise all the time. It is nothing to do with being behind a name in the format of this site, as I would more than happily say it to the mans face. I said it on here because it was a comment I wanted to make after the match which I felt very strongly about. I would never normally do something like that, look through my posts for assurance,  but that shows the extent of how I felt about it. Sorry if I upset anyone through his issue.

But on another note Pangurban who the hell are you to come on here and tell me what is acceptable to write and what is not, wind your neck in. I will write what I want and it is usually positive and not bogged down in the critical analysis of inidviduals but when I say something I mean it. Don't try and degrade me by getting on your high horse and throwing out unwritten rules of the board.

Pangurban

You expressed an opinion, in terms which amounted to personal abuse of a named referee. I expressed my opinion,as did others, that this was unfair and unacceptable on a public forum. Whats your problem with that. Could it be that having cooled down, and reflected a little, you know you were wrong. As for dictating what you write, far be it from me to want too do that, but please allow me to disagree without being accused of riding high horses. It is after all a discussion board

dundrumite

Quote from: supersub on April 17, 2011, 02:47:22 AM
No they certainly did not and they will receive a lot more personal criticism behind their backs in more public domains than this board that is for sure. But that is the nature of the game, people talk about it and criticise all the time. It is nothing to do with being behind a name in the format of this site, as I would more than happily say it to the mans face. I said it on here because it was a comment I wanted to make after the match which I felt very strongly about. I would never normally do something like that, look through my posts for assurance,  but that shows the extent of how I felt about it. Sorry if I upset anyone through his issue.

But on another note Pangurban who the hell are you to come on here and tell me what is acceptable to write and what is not, wind your neck in. I will write what I want and it is usually positive and not bogged down in the critical analysis of inidviduals but when I say something I mean it. Don't try and degrade me by getting on your high horse and throwing out unwritten rules of the board.

100% right it is the nature of the game, not one I agree with as I have stated here.  I do agree the standard of referring in Down is poor, I'd be off the midset of trying to come up with ideas to improve it as opposed to naming and shaming. Supersub I just noticed your side caption there, gave me a chuckle on the topic we are on.
I do fail to see how club referees will ever receive more public criticism than through the World wide web. On a sidenote, 2.47 and 4.52 am posts thats commitment to the board  ;D

Leo

Quote from: dundrumite on April 17, 2011, 09:36:09 AM

On a sidenote, 2.47 and 4.52 am posts thats commitment to the board  ;D

... no, that's a few on board.
Fierce tame altogether

Shortso79

Full Time

Mayobridge 1-10 Burren 2-5

At half tine it was 2 points each

blueannavy

13aside

Heard Packie Downey gave Benny McCardle a torrid time the other night in the league match over   in Annaclone against Drumgath,any views?

Mid Down Gael

The Bridge again showed they are the best team in the county with their latest victory over Burren, who where without Benny Coulter for most of the game.

whitegoodman

Was a really disappointing game, bridge were bad and burren were worse. Twice burren went 3 ahead and still couldn't put them away. I would say if bridge play benny midfield for the rest of the year the rest if the county would be happy enough, such a waste.  The only players that looked county material imo were Dan mccartan and Ryan brady who gave gerrard mccartan a host of trouble.

MDG think it might be a bit ott to say bridge were still best team in the county, it was the first league game of the season ffs.  Id say the happiest team to come out of today was kilcoo as both teams looked very beatable going by today performance .

knockitdown