Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

I have a wee question.

The last time Down were drawn for a first round home championship match in Newry was 1999 against Antrim. But we did play Cavan three times in Casement 2001, 2004, 2006 and Monaghan in 2003 there too. Does anyone remember why we played these matches at Casement not home in Newry?

Curse my memory!

umpire

Quote from: PAULD123 on March 25, 2011, 03:27:28 PM
I have a wee question.

The last time Down were drawn for a first round home championship match in Newry was 1999 against Antrim. But we did play Cavan three times in Casement 2001, 2004, 2006 and Monaghan in 2003 there too. Does anyone remember why we played these matches at Casement not home in Newry?

Curse my memory!

Was the Marshes not available because of Health and Safely issues? if some of those games above were in quarter fiianls then nuetral ground is the answer.

western exile

Quote from: umpire on March 25, 2011, 04:19:23 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on March 25, 2011, 03:27:28 PM
I have a wee question.

Curse my memory!

Was the Marshes not available because of Health and Safely issues? if some of those games above were in quarter fiianls then nuetral ground is the answer.
While Páirc Esler was under redevelopment there was no venue in the county with the minimum requirements for a Ulster Championship match.  e.g. 18,000 H&S capacity

Mourne Rover

At the risk of appearing pedantic, PAULD123, the last time Down were drawn at home for a first round USC tie was not 1999 but  2007. That was the year we beat Cavan after a replay in the preliminary round and lost to Monaghan at Newry in the first round proper. It was also the match in which our starting half-back line was Ronan Murtagh, Kevin McGuigan and John Clarke, decent players who were hopelessly out of position on the day. Hopefully, James has a little more cop-on in these matters.

PAULD123

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 25, 2011, 09:34:01 PM
At the risk of appearing pedantic, PAULD123, the last time Down were drawn at home for a first round USC tie was not 1999 but  2007. That was the year we beat Cavan after a replay in the preliminary round and lost to Monaghan at Newry in the first round proper. It was also the match in which our starting half-back line was Ronan Murtagh, Kevin McGuigan and John Clarke, decent players who were hopelessly out of position on the day. Hopefully, James has a little more cop-on in these matters.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure we were drawn away in 2007. We only played in Newry because of a replay but initially the draw was a home game for Cavan which finished level 2-11 to 3-08. So the last time we actually came out the draw first was 2006 against Monaghan.

If that's right then its a bit unfair, surely if you are drawn away one year your next year should entitle you to a home match. This year we are in Armagh, Last year Donegal, 2009 away to Fermanagh, 2008 away to Tyrone, and 2006 away to Cavan. Its not right that its 5 years since we had a first round home game. But not important, just was wondering why we'd been playing home games in casement. Thanks for the answers

This was because Elser under construction at the time

redandblack4ever

Does anyone know if there will be any internet iradio coverage of the St. Colman's game tomorrow afternoon? I'm hoping Five FM will have it.  If someone knows,  I'd reallly appreciate it. C'mon the College!!!
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Mourne Rover

PAULD123, if you are drawn away in the preliminary round of the USC and win, you still automatically get a home draw in the first round proper, which is what happened to us in 2007. In the past, the overall USC draw was on a two-year cycle, which was much fairer and meant that an away draw in one season had to be followed by a home draw against the same opposition twelve months later or vice versa.  This system was abandoned in 2002 in favour of a new draw every year.

Prior to the change, in our opening USC draws, we got Antrim away in 2000 and at home the previous year, away to Tyrone in 98 (Ornagh) but a home draw (switched to Clones) in 97, Donegal in 96 and 95 (both at Clones), Derry away in 94 and at home in 93, Armagh away in 92 and at home in 91 and so on.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on March 25, 2011, 02:59:52 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 25, 2011, 01:08:44 PM
MDG i see you's have a big night tonight with the official opening, seen it about a month ago from the road when i was driving past, any photos of it up close do you?

Yeah big night planned for this evening, hope all goes well. Credit must go to the 3 senior players who organised this event. There will be a host of past and current stars taking part in the game as well a a half time game featuring Kilcoo and Dundrum under 8's. A great night fot these kids from both clubs as well. I dont have any photos handy but will have a few in next few days. Nice one in this weeks Mourne Observer taken from the main road.

Was a fantastic experience for our Under 8 Boys team in Kilcoo tonight. For young fellas of this age to play infront of a near 1000 strong crowd on an occasion like this is something that they will always remember.

Before the game we got to parade behind the St Malachy's Band around the pitch. We took in the 1st half of the Kilcoo Seniors v Ulster Select game before heading to the pitch at halftime to take on the Kilcoo Under 8's in a 12-a-side game under the floodlights. For the record Kilcoo were victorious on a 2-04 to 1-02 scoreline :(

Some very entertaining moments in the Senior game. Tomas McCann's headed point and Joe Brolly and Mickey Linden's cameos were highly enjoyable.

Milltown Row2

Noticed that Down are + 5 for Sundays game in Down this weekend. Laois are not bad but Down bar the last 10 minutes against Limerick were playing well.

What's the team for Sunday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 25, 2011, 11:41:10 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on March 25, 2011, 02:59:52 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 25, 2011, 01:08:44 PM
MDG i see you's have a big night tonight with the official opening, seen it about a month ago from the road when i was driving past, any photos of it up close do you?

Yeah big night planned for this evening, hope all goes well. Credit must go to the 3 senior players who organised this event. There will be a host of past and current stars taking part in the game as well a a half time game featuring Kilcoo and Dundrum under 8's. A great night fot these kids from both clubs as well. I dont have any photos handy but will have a few in next few days. Nice one in this weeks Mourne Observer taken from the main road.

Was a fantastic experience for our Under 8 Boys team in Kilcoo tonight. For young fellas of this age to play infront of a near 1000 strong crowd on an occasion like this is something that they will always remember.

Before the game we got to parade behind the St Malachy's Band around the pitch. We took in the 1st half of the Kilcoo Seniors v Ulster Select game before heading to the pitch at halftime to take on the Kilcoo Under 8's in a 12-a-side game under the floodlights. For the record Kilcoo were victorious on a 2-04 to 1-02 scoreline :(

Some very entertaining moments in the Senior game. Tomas McCann's headed point and Joe Brolly and Mickey Linden's cameos were highly enjoyable.

Very enjoyable evenings entertainment and i apologise for not mentioning the clubs of Bryansford, Burren, Castlewellan, Liatriom and Clonduff earlier as Well as Dun Droma for participating in the half time games and parade. Fair play to all the ulster lads for playing, the young fans where delighted to see their heroes in action. For the record the Ulster team consisted of Dan Gordon, Kevy McKernan, Benny C, Danny Hughes, Marty Clarke, Mickey Linden, Gregory McCartan and Decky Alder of An Dun, Tomas McCann and Kevin McGourty of Antrim, Fergal Doherty and Joe Brolly of Derry and Ciaran McKeever, Steven McDonnell, Paul McGrane, Johnny Hanratty and Jamie Clarke of Armagh. Pat McEaneaney of Monaghan refereed the game on our splendid new facility.

PAULD123

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 25, 2011, 11:35:58 PM
PAULD123, if you are drawn away in the preliminary round of the USC and win, you still automatically get a home draw in the first round proper, which is what happened to us in 2007. In the past, the overall USC draw was on a two-year cycle, which was much fairer and meant that an away draw in one season had to be followed by a home draw against the same opposition twelve months later or vice versa.  This system was abandoned in 2002 in favour of a new draw every year.

Prior to the change, in our opening USC draws, we got Antrim away in 2000 and at home the previous year, away to Tyrone in 98 (Ornagh) but a home draw (switched to Clones) in 97, Donegal in 96 and 95 (both at Clones), Derry away in 94 and at home in 93, Armagh away in 92 and at home in 91 and so on.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me. I'm a bit embarrassed as I really should have known it myself but better to be corrected than be ignorant.

Banana Man

2 great results for both the county's hurling teams yesterday, well done to both!! there's a real feel good factor in every team in the county now, great to see

PAULD123

Quote from: Banana Man on March 28, 2011, 10:39:59 AM
2 great results for both the county's hurling teams yesterday, well done to both!! there's a real feel good factor in every team in the county now, great to see

South Down Hurlers have qualified for the Division 4 league final and promotion

If Down Hurlers beat Westmeath in their last game they will probably be safe in Division 2

The College will contribute Johnston, Mooney, McCardle, Lively & Haughy to the Minor team managed by the legendary Pete McGrath

Our U21's are still alive and kicking in the championship (just!!) against a tremendous Tyrone side

The seniors are safe in the top flight

Certainly the best time in a long time to be supporting the red&black boys. It is not at all unrealistic to say that we have a serious chance of winning the Ulster senior football and Ulster minor football titles. And a decent chance at the Ulster senior hurling crown.

TheClutch

St Colmans will also have Michael Cunnigham the Castlewellan goalkeeper. He done nets for the minors last year.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)