17. Gavin McParland Ballymacnab

18. Colm Watters Cullaville

19. Conor Clarke Pearse Og

20. John Murtagh Crossmaglen

21. Brian Mallon Tir na nOg

22. Gareth O'Neill Dromintee

23. Declan McKenna Armagh Harps

24. James Lavery Maghery

No offence PAULD123 but post that shite on the Armagh page, keep this Red and Black please  ;)

SHEEDY

no offence but maybe some of us are interested in who we are playing against. keep them coming PAULD123.
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

I think most Down fans would want to know who we play against. I like to consider the man for man match ups and I think so do a lot of people. Thanks Sheedy for your comment.

fitzroyalty

Night and day between the two sub benches. Down have plenty of talent to call upon, Armagh haven't one established player in reserve other than Brian Mallon.

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 25, 2011, 03:48:07 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on February 25, 2011, 02:54:44 PM
Armagh Team:

1. Philip Mc Evoy Dromintee

2. Andy Mallon Pearse Og

3. Brendan Donaghy Clonmore

4. Finnian Moriarty Wolfe Tones

5. Kevin Dyas Dromintee

6. Ciaran Mc Keever St. Patrick's

7. Paul Duffy Pearse Og

8. Kieran Toner Granemore

9. Charlie Vernon Armagh Harps

10 Rory Grugan Ballymacnab

11 Micheal O'Rourke Dromintee

12. Malachy Mackin St. Patrick's

13. Billy Joe Padden Carrickcruppin

14. Gareth Swift Armagh Harps

15. Steven McDonnell Killeavy

16. John Mc Cullagh Carrickcruppin

17. Gavin McParland Ballymacnab

18. Colm Watters Cullaville

19. Conor Clarke Pearse Og

20. John Murtagh Crossmaglen

21. Brian Mallon Tir na nOg

22. Gareth O'Neill Dromintee

23. Declan McKenna Armagh Harps

24. James Lavery Maghery

No offence PAULD123 but post that shite on the Armagh page, keep this Red and Black please  ;)

Think thats a bit uncalled for Redblack, man only posting a team. Good work Paud!!

Mourne Rover

Most Down fans believe that tomorrow is a very big game, both in terns of the points - which would come very close to guarenteeing us division one football next year - and the result, which could give us a considerable boost for the rest of the season. It's possible James has a different view, and feels it is too early in the year to show his full hand, as he has not picked his strongest available team.

If he was really going for it, Garvey would probably have come in either for Howard, who has been unlucky with injuries, or possiblly Gerard McCartan, who has growing potential rather than experience on his side. Brannigan had a decent first half last week, but Colgan looked a much better bet when he came on in the last quarter. While Laverty had a fine display against Galway, McComiskey is stronger and a much better finisher. Benny also prefers to attack from the wing, so either John Clarke or Murtagh at full forward might have given us a better balance.

Having said that, James know what his is doing and the line-up named, if it actually starts the match, should be well capable of giving a good account of itself. We also have the major advantage of a bench full of talent and hunger.

There is still a concern that Armagh have mostly had our measure for nearly twenty years now. We blew them away in the early stages in the corresponding fixture last season, and then let them back into it only for the red card to swing it back decisively in our favour. They then beat us in the division two final and this year's McKenna Cup, and they have won every other league and championship derby going back to the early 1990s.

It is likely to be tight and hard tomorrow, but there is a reasonable prospect that the momentum we have built up so far and the use of impact subs could just about get us over the line. If not, then James may be less worried than the supporters.

SHEEDY

well done to 'the college'. hopefully make it 2 in a row on 'paddys day'.
nil satis nisi optimum

centre 3/4s

injury looks bad for mc veigh. surely there is a more experienced option out there than u21 keeper?

supersub

Who's u21 keeper... Did Murdock not go on  ;)

general

Whats wrong with murdock centre 3/4s??
excellent gk, county champion with burren, a lot of other medals from burren not to mention mccrory and hogan medals... He is there on merit and because he deserves it.

Also imagine how hard it is for a gk to come on in a game, the lad made a tremendous save, helped the team get the victory!

On another not, thanks to the useless bunch of pricks psni, traffic control sh#te!!!!

AnDun

Let's hope Brendan McVeigh's injury is not as bed as feared.  Murdock done well when he came on.  One super save.  Maybe a bit of work to be done on his kickouts but for a debut he can be well pleased.

However I've been a bit surprised that Declan Alder is not the sub keeper.  Is he still part of the panel?  Going back to his U21 days, and since, I've always been impressed with him.  Who knows, there could be a right battle for the No.1 jersey now.

Leo

Quote from: general on February 26, 2011, 09:23:05 PM

On another not, thanks to the useless bunch of pricks psni, traffic control sh#te!!!!

What a crass comment. Since PSNI co-operation with our voluntary stewards  has come in for these Saturday night games, traffic flows better, pedestrains crossing the dual carriageway are safer and proper standards and arrangements are clear for all to see. Maybe an inconvenience to the double-parkers and the latecomers who expect to park at the front gate, but get a grip. Match set up at Pairc Esler now among the best in the land.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: AnDun on February 27, 2011, 12:09:02 AM
Let's hope Brendan McVeigh's injury is not as bed as feared.  Murdock done well when he came on.  One super save.  Maybe a bit of work to be done on his kickouts but for a debut he can be well pleased.

However I've been a bit surprised that Declan Alder is not the sub keeper.  Is he still part of the panel?  Going back to his U21 days, and since, I've always been impressed with him.  Who knows, there could be a right battle for the No.1 jersey now.

I'm told McVeigh might be out 6-8 weeks. Murdock has doen well but always rated Alder as on a par with Brendy. Where is he?
Fierce tame altogether

whitegoodman

Frustrating enough performance last night mixing the brilliance with the awful.  My ratings for what its worth

McVeigh 7 - kickouts alot better before his unfortunate injury, hope he not out for long
McCartan 8.5 - great game and didnt give grugan a kick of it, has pace and height which are great attributes for a defender
Gordon 8 - thought he did great job on a super player.  Want him there long term
Howard 7 - Was quiet himself but so was mallon which is all u want from a corner back
Rooney 6 - Not as good as last week, loves a yellow card
McKernan 8.5 - Alot better than previous, did his defensive duties very well as well as contributing going forward
Brannigan 6 - Struggled to get into game and will find it difficult to keep Garvey out for next time
King 6 - Again better than previous but still struggling for fitness which will hopefully come.
Fitzpatrick 6 - All the potential in the world but very frustrating, him and vernon gave each other all the time in the world
Hughes 7.5 - Full of pace and energy just going for the wrong option at times
Poland 5.5 - Couple of great free kicks but struggled with the physicallity at times.  Could come under pressure from Carr
McGinn 5 - For me very quiet up until last 10 mins, lacks pace and strength at the very highest level but james loves him
Laverty 7 - Started brightly but faded there after, just too light for me unfortunatley, if only he was a bit bigger
Murtagh 8.5 - Provides a threat that J Clarke doesnt, an outlet every time and 2 crackers to round it off
Clarke 7 - Influential and some wonderful passes as usual but struggled for long periods IMO

Subs - Murdock pulled off a great save but needs to work on his kickouts, Colgen put in a great shift when he came and is pushing for a start but not in half back line, mccumisky did well and should start, Garvey sold as a rock and sexton was sexton, hard and busy.

John Martin

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 27, 2011, 12:25:25 PM
Frustrating enough performance last night mixing the brilliance with the awful.  My ratings for what its worth

McVeigh 7 - kickouts alot better before his unfortunate injury, hope he not out for long
McCartan 8.5 - great game and didnt give grugan a kick of it, has pace and height which are great attributes for a defender
Gordon 8 - thought he did great job on a super player.  Want him there long term
Howard 7 - Was quiet himself but so was mallon which is all u want from a corner back
Rooney 6 - Not as good as last week, loves a yellow card
McKernan 8.5 - Alot better than previous, did his defensive duties very well as well as contributing going forward
Brannigan 6 - Struggled to get into game and will find it difficult to keep Garvey out for next time
King 6 - Again better than previous but still struggling for fitness which will hopefully come.
Fitzpatrick 6 - All the potential in the world but very frustrating, him and vernon gave each other all the time in the world
Hughes 7.5 - Full of pace and energy just going for the wrong option at times
Poland 5.5 - Couple of great free kicks but struggled with the physicallity at times.  Could come under pressure from Carr
McGinn 5 - For me very quiet up until last 10 mins, lacks pace and strength at the very highest level but james loves him
Laverty 7 - Started brightly but faded there after, just too light for me unfortunatley, if only he was a bit bigger
Murtagh 8.5 - Provides a threat that J Clarke doesnt, an outlet every time and 2 crackers to round it off
Clarke 7 - Influential and some wonderful passes as usual but struggled for long periods IMO

Subs - Murdock pulled off a great save but needs to work on his kickouts, Colgen put in a great shift when he came and is pushing for a start but not in half back line, mccumisky did well and should start, Garvey sold as a rock and sexton was sexton, hard and busy.

Interesting ratings, I thought Maginn was excellent when we needed him most and would rate him higher for that alone.
Overall though your ratings seem fair enough.