Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

I think that regarding kit we have come on a long way under James , It's along time since I seen anyone warming up in a Liverpool jersey . I am definitely in the minority here , I actually like the Yellow jersey .

redandblackareback

Quote from: downredblack on February 23, 2011, 04:02:04 PM
I think that regarding kit we have come on a long way under James , It's along time since I seen anyone warming up in a Liverpool jersey . I am definitely in the minority here , I actually like the Yellow jersey .

;D when was that ??

charlie stubbs

Anyone looking a friendly next saturday evening 5th March 2010 please pm me.  We are a 2nd division team in armagh and looking to get a game next saturday night.  We would have to travel to you as pitch currently under construction.  Cheers Charlie

supersub

Of course you are going to get people coming on here and dismissing the talk of kit etc as a load of crap and not important etc, but it was just a passing point someone raised and no one is getting hung up about it, the question was just asked! It's not a big issue at all but just an interesting observation and question!

John Martin

Quote from: downredblack on February 23, 2011, 04:02:04 PM

I like the yellow jersey too, I just didn't wanna be the first to say it.

Dubh driocht

Glenn men would like it alright. Don't really care about it muself other than I've seen us lose two AI finals wearing it and being superstitious about this sort of thing , I think we should retire it.
If Marty and co wore no socks and played like they did last year I wouldn't mind.
Fierce tame debate on the Down V Armagh thread. Nobody around to stoke it ?

redandblackareback

Lets be honest here people, on saturday night you have one changing room with a management team who have their team playing to a structured game plan, they have possibly the best football trainer in the country, one of the most knowledgable men in the province and a very astute manager. In the other changing room you have a weight lifter and two men who are extremely limited tactically and a manager whose heart cant possibly be in winning no matter what any Armagh man thinks.

There wont be any shocks, it will simply be a straight forward win for Down by maybe 5/6 points depending on how much Armagh open out towards the end when their chasing the game against a well organised counter attacking down team. Its difficult to know where Down are right now but last weeks game will have helped Garvey and Rooney and brought a bit more stability to a defence who played very well last year, I do feel that after a win this saturday if we can take 3 or 4 points from our next 6 we could be looking at the top 2..  Ambitious but we were the 2nd best team in ireland last year!

dundrumite

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM
Glenn men would like it alright. Don't really care about it muself other than I've seen us lose two AI finals wearing it and being superstitious about this sort of thing , I think we should retire it.
If Marty and co wore no socks and played like they did last year I wouldn't mind.

superstitions in sport are one of my pet hates. The jersey has no outcome in end result of them games. I remember James had to be at back of parade, what happens if a team has two players who want to be at back of the parade. They are in short a nuisance. I was also interested if it was Marty wanting to hooped socks or it was a tactical ploy to make him more identifiable.

EagleLord

I like the yellow shirt myself, although I have always loved the idea of Down playing in all black, something about it, always liked the Sligo kit. If the county board wanted me to help out I would definatley design a nice kit if they wanted! Just have the sleeves red and keep the same shorts n socks. Boys my mouth is watering at the thought of this! I can see it already in my head! As regards this whole kit mismatch craic, I do notice that Marty wears the hooped socks, dont think theres any harm in that, as they say An Dun on them, every player was issued them during last year. He chooses to wear them during matches whereas the rest wear the standard black with red trim. Its not like hes wearing green ones!

batman

Are Clarkes socks not just taped?

5 Sams

Quote from: dundrumite on February 24, 2011, 03:00:20 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 23, 2011, 07:21:00 PM

superstitions in sport are one of my pet hates. The jersey has no outcome in end result of them games. I remember James had to be at back of parade, what happens if a team has two players who want to be at back of the parade. They are in short a nuisance. I was also interested if it was Marty wanting to hooped socks or it was a tactical ploy to make him more identifiable.

Talking about superstition...Remember in the 90's when James and Ross used to fight over who was sitting at the end of the front row of the bench for photos...what was that all about? It usually ended up with one of them with one cheek perched on the bench about to fall off!!
The Aristocrat Years

PAULD123

Down team to play Armagh, exactly the same as Galway:

1. Brendan McVeigh (An Ríocht)
2. Gerald McCartan (Boireann)
3. Dan Gordon (Loch an Oileáin)
4. Luke Howard   (Áth Bhriain)
5. Aidan Branagan (Cill Chua)
6. Kevin McKernan (Boireann)
7. Declan Rooney (Boireann)
8. Peter Fitzpatrick (Baile Mhairtín)
9. Kalum King (Áth Bhriain)
10. Daniel Hughes (Sabhaill)
11. Mark Poland (Cloch Fhada)
12. Conor Maginn (Áth Bhriain)
13. Conor Laverty (Cill Chua)
14. Brendan Coulter (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
15. Martin Clarke (An Ríocht)

16. Cathal Murdock (Boireann)
17. Conor Garvey (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
18. Liam Doyle (Liatroim)
19. Paul McPolin (Cluain Daimh)
20. Ronan Murtagh (Baile Cholmáin)
21. John Clarke (An Ríocht)
22. James Colgan (An Ríocht)
23. Ronan Sexton (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
24. Aidan Carr (Cluain Dáimh)
25. Mark Doran (Cloch Fhada)
26. Paul McComiskey (Dún Droma)