Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Does anyone on this forum have any insight into the odd socks Down players wear? I thought it might be that Marty wears the hoop socks to be easily picked out for passes. Similar things are done in other sports. I did consider superstitious reasons but An Riocht play with green/yellow socks and the minors in 2005 played with plain black socks.

As for the yellow kit it is awful. Nice to be wearing it to represent Ulster, but seriously, black with red arms or white with red/black trim would be far nicer

Class of 99

Jesus lads I hope stripped docks are all we have to worry about for the year!!! The away jersey isn't too bad IMHO, shows our class!!!!

No1

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on February 22, 2011, 05:44:37 PM
Anyone fancy a nice flat 10k this Sunday...........

http://www.kilcliefgac.com/news/index.php#news_item1199

Fcukit I thought you had a tip for a horse :D
The Aristocrat Years

supersub

Always think about this myself when I watch the boys play. I think the newer socks for the county are the hopped ones but some choose just to wear the old ones! Sometimes even their shorts are different designs etc! Didn't think anyone else took any notice of minor details like that! Ha

Leo

Quote from: snoopdog on February 22, 2011, 09:39:39 AM
just a general query lads. Do Down have a kit man?
they must be the only county team in the country that dont all wear the same Kit.
Even for the All Ireland final they looked like they all brought their own kit.
I know it makes no difference on the scoreboard and is a bit petty. But can they not get matching shorts and Socks.
I see Clarke prefers the hooped socks.
Like is it too much to ask to wear a matching kit, they arent a junior club with no money.
also when will the county board get rid of that horrible yellow thing they had to wear in the All Ireland final. I know its the ulster colours but really how many counties bother with that anymore.
Its disgusting. Bring out an all black strip for such occasions.
fcuk me it aint rocket science.

Snoopdog I'm with you. It's 2011, we are paying £11 to stand in the wind and rain on the terrace in February, we are payinmg club membership fees, some of which go to the county set up, we are paying supporters club fees or for trips, some of us pay club down or support raceday or golf or whatever,  we are entitled to expect to be able to hear the PA system, we are entitled to expect the team in the programme is the one that plays (late injuries excepted - btw it usually is since James took charge), we are entilted to expect that our supportes club money, club down money, raceday money and everything else helps turn out these teams properly.
Some players wearing white cycling shorts under the red & black, somebody else with white sleeves,  at one recent match our manager wearing a Queens tracksuit top instead of a Down one - and we think we are acting like professional way! The "Down Way"!! How long before the players turn out wearing  9what is it?0 snoods under their jersies, gloves to keep warm and hoodies and ipod earphones on the long trip from the bus to the dressingrooms?
Is anyone in charge?
Fierce tame altogether

No1

QuoteFcukit I thought you had a tip for a horse  :D

:)

Sorry buddy, if it's any consolation there will be plenty of donkeys on the course!  Your clubmate is the man with the excellent tipping record....................................

dundrumite

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 22, 2011, 01:38:18 PM
Does anyone on this forum have any insight into the odd socks Down players wear? I thought it might be that Marty wears the hoop socks to be easily picked out for passes. Similar things are done in other sports. I did consider superstitious reasons but An Riocht play with green/yellow socks and the minors in 2005 played with plain black socks.

As for the yellow kit it is awful. Nice to be wearing it to represent Ulster, but seriously, black with red arms or white with red/black trim would be far nicer

Thats actually an interesting point.

Brick Tamlin

Boys, no harm to ye but i couldnt give a flyin f**k what they be wearing out on the field, as long as they put in the required effort whether it be training or playing field, and they represent Down in a positive light on and off the field.
Seriously, some of you boys would want to give over whinging. Ye have little to be worried about if that sort of stuff is annoying ye.
Its 2011 and if amateur athletes cant have personnel preferences when it comes to their choice of undergarment or training-wear for their own reasons be it vanity, comfort, superstition or placebo then i for one give up. Nobody is de-facing or de-valuing the county colours or crest in any way.

whitegoodman

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on February 23, 2011, 08:46:42 AM
Boys, no harm to ye but i couldnt give a flyin f**k what they be wearing out on the field, as long as they put in the required effort whether it be training or playing field, and they represent Down in a positive light on and off the field.
Seriously, some of you boys would want to give over whinging. Ye have little to be worried about if that sort of stuff is annoying ye.
Its 2011 and if amateur athletes cant have personnel preferences when it comes to their choice of undergarment or training-wear for their own reasons be it vanity, comfort, superstition or placebo then i for one give up. Nobody is de-facing or de-valuing the county colours or crest in any way.

Finally, and i thought i was the only one!!!

5 Sams

Lads can anyone give me the definitive arrangements for season ticket holders for the stand in Newry on Saturday night...I have a few members in my ear panicking and wanting to know...I know its only Wed but some people are v impatient!!
The Aristocrat Years

redandblackareback

5 sams as far as Im aware, season ticket holders will be accomondated in the stand. Thats what the email said from the county secretary to the clubs, it also said tickets should be ready for distribution tonight but Id say thats probably going to be tomorrow night.

Ring the county office in castlewellan. 4,500 seats shouldnt be a major problem but then again we ll have all sorts coming out for this one  >:(

PAULD123

Firstly I want to be clear I don't care what the boys wear at all. The performance is all that matters to me (though I do hate the yellow jersey). But it is hard not to notice Marty ears different socks and I just pondered if there was a tactical reason for it.

But as far as uniformity goes, I may not care, nor you WhiteGM, or many other posters here but I was under the impression some people do care very much. I thought that the GAA insisted some time back that teams all have the same kit. I know its a petty thing but then the boys at Croke Park regularly excel themselves with petty rules. I'm surprised some bureaucrat in headquarters hasn't complained by now. 

snoopdog

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on February 23, 2011, 08:46:42 AM

I dont think anyone is worrying about it. I was just making a point and wondering was i the only one that noticed. It is a bit strange though that a uniform kit isnt wore.
But that yella yoke is minging

Brick Tamlin

How is a uniform kit not worn, do they not all strip out in the same jersies and togs with red n black socks?