Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

It's no wonder GAA players don't like being interviewed, when the GAA masses are sitting ready to pick holes and paint pictures in everything that's said.

There's many a GAA folk would be happier watching 15 flawless robots than a team of living, breathing humans.

Dubh driocht

Wobbler, you're right
I've said it before about MC.
F the begrudgers
(of whom there are many - everywhere)

Brick Tamlin

Wel done to St Colmans on defeating The Abbey this evening in the McCrory Quarter Final. The Abbey would have won if they had a few decent forwards, they owned the ball at times but still lost heavily. College just had to show glimpses to get over the finish line.

alba2

Abbey fans were an absolute disgrace throwing bottles at the st colmans supporters.... I know the college lads retaliated but they are only human.  One lad hurt in the crowd - a disgrace.....   

dundrumite

Quote from: alba2 on February 11, 2011, 10:15:32 PM
Abbey fans were an absolute disgrace throwing bottles at the st colmans supporters.... I know the college lads retaliated but they are only human.  One lad hurt in the crowd - a disgrace.....

Sounds unsavoury.. What was the score?

pointlad

Quote from: alba2 on February 11, 2011, 10:15:32 PM
Abbey fans were a disgrace? no-one seem to remember last years Hogan Cup final were flares were thrown on the pitch? a few arrested? and Paul Galvin was verbally abused for the whole match by the "Blue Army"  that was a disgrace not a bottle or whatever happened in the stand tonight, what ever it was the Abbey ones were cleared intimidated by them

Mid Down Gael

St Colemans 3-6 Abbey 0-5

Scoreline does not do the Abbey justice. They dominated possession for long periods but where so wasteful in attack. Shot selection was their main problem trying to end good moves shooting from impossible angles. And the less said about the two gifts to St Colemans for first half goals the better. Shea McArdle (St Colemans) and Gerard McGovern (Abbey) where the two most impressive players on view imo, two great talents who dont get the credit that some of their peers get regulary. Tony McGreevy, Ryan Johnston and Mooney also had their moments for St Colemans.
In relation to the crowd trouble, i have to say as a neutral that St Colemans fan club where a disgrace, behaviour like that is not the Gaa way. The odd Abbey fan got involved which was wrong but that college crowd would do your head in.

redandblackareback

not the first time st colmans fans have been involved in unsavoury incidents.. the staff have a responsibility here too.. the culprits must be identified and punished.. terrible behaviour at a gaa match terrible and no room for it either.

EagleLord

Sounds like its getting a bit more like a soccer match crowd. I've seen them before chanting and singin etc. Not the GAA way atall.

snoopdog

bunch of aul farts with no life giving out about young fellas singing a few songs.
obviously dont go to many college games, they have been singing and chanting since i was there in the 80's a bit of craic.
dont condone bottle throwing, but get a life ffs.
well done VHC lets go all the way again

alba2

I have no problem with bit of craic and the songs and that.. but throwing bottles by the Abbey ones was the part where it became dangerous.  some teachers did step in and relolved the scene before it got outta hand.. Abbey were good last night but didnt have the finishers up front.. so much good work went to waste and the ball came back down the pitch time and again.  goals win games is an old phrase - summed up this game though...  Dont think college are as strong as last season - but should give it a good rattle from here on in...

Leo

The fans (pupils) of both these schools have in the last few years been competing in the rush to the bottom of the behavioural pit, a sad commentary on thier parents, teachers and environment, and  more in common with the growing embrace of English soccer loutism rather than true GAA sportsmanship.
And doesn't the pompous self-regarding reference to St Colman's College as "the college" just sum up the bombasticc nature of the whole thing
Apart from spasms of incidental football it was a bad reflection on our future prospects at Pairc Esler last night.
Fierce tame altogether

13aside

i can remember games in the 1970s between the schools and there were some nasty stone- throwing incidents between a few the so-called supporters,we should not bury our heads in the sand and pretent it never happened.Both head-teachers should be called to an Ulster Colleges meeting to explain their views on what took place  and what action they plan to take,  and how it can be prevented in the future.I advocate stern action,if this had been a club game in our county{as has happened in the distant past-where stern measures were taken where players, officials and teams were banned],then these few louts can learn something valuable outside the classroom.There have been many games played between the same teams over the years and have passed off without incident-so why not now?

On The Side

having played in lots of abbey v st colmans games always remember the tightness off the games and coming off the field realising what you had knocked your s***e out for the previous few months. great occasions. been on both sides of the result. any young fella on the pitch for both sides on friday night can hold their head up. pricks in the stand making trouble are just there to fill up an evening. parents, staff, family and true mates that where there would appreciate the effort off the young fellas on show. giving up their hours on top off the pressure off exams etc. family and proper friends realising their commitment. thats the gaa way!!!

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Leo on February 13, 2011, 01:41:06 AM
And doesn't the pompous self-regarding reference to St Colman's College as "the college" just sum up the bombasticc nature of the whole thing

Are you for real Leo?
Catch yourself on man. St Colmans College Newry has always been known as The College.
Idiotic comment, and ever so dramatic