Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana Man

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 28, 2011, 10:06:19 AM
Quote from: Banana Man on January 28, 2011, 09:27:53 AM
boys on a serious note, how f**king good of a club team must crossmaglen be!!!! Just reading this and they beat a county team without 3 of their (Cross') big name players, albeit Down were missing a few but Down being all ireland finalists should be strong enough - that is a crazy scenario in my opinion!

How do you build up a club team to be that good that you actually challenge county teams to a friendly - unreal and fair f**king dues to them, mayb armagh should just let Cross represen them  ;)

Not the first time either Banana man, we beat a few county teams over the year and drew with Kildare when Micko was the manager.  A lot of factors need to be brought in though, Down in the middle of pre season, we should be at our peak of fitness.  Cross have been playing as a unit for the last 4-5 months and have an understanding that Down will only be rebuilding in the new season.  Also the Cross fringe players who were on would have a point to prove.  Still a good result given the team that Down had out.

it's an unreal result in fairness regardless of what factors are at play the fact is it's 15 lads from one parish against 15 lads from an entire county, I know i have heard of cross playing county teams before, even Down in Newry when Carr was manager but it's only just dawned on me how good that result is

redandblackareback

Totally agree B Man their unreal, how many county men do cross currently have??, would there be any club side in Down able to run Armagh close for talks sake?? Probably not... Maybe Burren or the Bridge.. Although I think couple of years ago Kilcoo played the Ulster Railway cup team after they won the Down championship didnt they and only lost by 8/9points?? Would I be right Mid Down Gael?? Maybe it was more not sure

EagleLord

Agreed Bannanaman. Ok there are factors like the point in the season each team is, Championship peaking as apposed to still finding a team, trying new players, alot of new players etc, but still comes down to the best a County has to offer vs a parish. That is incredible. I have often wondered what would happen if Cross played in Armaghs place..

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: redandblackareback on January 28, 2011, 10:37:20 AM
Totally agree B Man their unreal, how many county men do cross currently have??, would there be any club side in Down able to run Armagh close for talks sake?? Probably not... Maybe Burren or the Bridge.. Although I think couple of years ago Kilcoo played the Ulster Railway cup team after they won the Down championship didnt they and only lost by 8/9points?? Would I be right Mid Down Gael?? Maybe it was more not sure

Yeah your correct on that, Kilcoo played Ulster prior to our ulster club simi final in 2009 and lost by that margin.

EagleLord

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 28, 2011, 07:02:03 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on January 28, 2011, 10:37:20 AM

Yeah your correct on that, Kilcoo played Ulster prior to our ulster club simi final in 2009 and lost by that margin.
8/9?

goldenyears

Just to be pedantic lads, Down definitely won 1-14 to 1-13

Mid Down Gael

2011 Setanta National League coverage

Sat Feb 5th
Armagh v Dublin
Mayo v Down

Sat Feb 12th
Tipperary v Kilkenny (Hurling)

Sat Feb 19th
Dublin v Cork
Tyrone v Donegal

Sat Feb 26th
Dublin v Kerry
Down v Armagh

Sat March 5th
Tipperary V Waterford (Hurling)

Sat March 12th
Tyrone v Antrim
Cork v Down

Sat March 19th
Down v Monaghan
Derry v Donegal

Sat April 2nd
Dublin v Down

5 of Downs National league games being broadast live on Saturday evenings.  :)

whitegoodman

Fair play to cross for putting up a great performance against down but i think some of ya may be going a bit overboard. Dont forget this cross team only beat a young and inexperienced burren team by a point.  IMO this cross team wouldnt put a patch on the cross team of old and although they are young i dont think they ever will.

As BC earlier stated there was factors which influenced the final score and at the end of the day it was a friendly match.  Again well done for producing such a result, winning or losing by a point against a county team, but lets get a bit of perspective.  Words like unreal and crazy are a bit overboard IMO.

supersub

Think someone was askin about the challenge match v QUB today? Well it is definitely on, not sure of venue or time though. Garvey came on in 2nd half v Cross, can only be a good thing for Mayo!

supersub

Down v Queens 6pm at the Abbey

bridge fan

supersub

Was abbey earlier on never had a chance to come on and change it! Sorry.

whitegoodman

Anybody at that match this evening? team? please no more injuries!!

supersub

Apparently:

Murdock
Doran mcardle Howard
Maginn M McCartan C Poland
       Fitzpatrick Sheeran
Hughes.   Boyle.   S Murdock
Downey.   Magee.  M Clarke

alba2

With all these trials and games being played - does James know his best 15 for the league game on sat night????  There must be 40 odd players have played in Mc Kenna cup and challenge games lately - it a tough job to pick 15 outta that to play against Mayo..... Any suggestions for the first team of 2011 league???