Murdock for Carr
McCartan for Daniel
McConville for Magee

goldenyears

Daniel suspected broken hand
Duffin suspected broken arm
Turns out a disastrous friendly!

whitegoodman

That is an absolute disaster, both of those boys would likely to be starting next wk, really down to the bare bones in defence now.  I really cant see down winning down in mayo with so many defenders out no matter how good the forward line is.

Didnt even no that match was on tonight or i would have headed to it.  Thanks for the update goldenyears, keep us updated if there is another friendly at the wkend.

goldenyears

Both defences got cleaned out by the forwards on show.
Down still needs lads back or need to go deeper into the well!
No M Clarke, otherwise Down v strong.
Cross didn't play Oisin, John Mac or Francie
J Clarke is a joy to watch, and Kyle Carragher was excellent!

whitegoodman

id expect mckernan, hughes, fitzpatrick and m clarke to come into the team for next wk but thats about it barring some of the injured players coming back.  Any updates on mccardle, rafferty, rooney or garvey.

will he play murtagh or john clarke next wk, cant see both starting

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 27, 2011, 09:34:04 PM
That is an absolute disaster, both of those boys would likely to be starting next wk, really down to the bare bones in defence now.  I really cant see down winning down in mayo with so many defenders out no matter how good the forward line is.

Didnt even no that match was on tonight or i would have headed to it.  Thanks for the update goldenyears, keep us updated if there is another friendly at the wkend.

Jesus our defensive cover is down to the bare bones now. We could be in trouble in Castlebar. Talk of a friendly against QUB on saturday but with these injuries tonight another friendly might now be a dodgy idea.
That leaves us with Dan Gordan (a midfielder) and Kevin McKernan (An attacking half back and not our best man marker) the only fit members of our all ireland back 6 available for Mayo game while James Colgan and Benny McArdle, two of our best defenders in last years league and early championship games, also unavailable.

goldenyears

Garvey did full session on back pitch with Tally + 12 others

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: goldenyears on January 27, 2011, 09:54:27 PM
Garvey did full session on back pitch with Tally + 12 others

I meant to head over but the missus was late home. Hiw did Cross look?

whitegoodman

Thats one bit of good news and he might have to be thrown straight in next wk given the current crisis at the back.  May call for bringing carr back into half back line as well although dont think james fancies him as a defender.

If u hear any confirmation of that friendly MDG lets us no cheers

Mid Down Gael

Cross ended up winning by a point i hear. In my opinion this is a poor result considering we had a strong enough team out. Preparations for the start of the league have not been great and injuries are mounting. No new players have done enough to suggest they can improve the team from last year.This time last year prior to the Kildare game the team was in a much better position and a settled squad had been established.

goldenyears

Well BC!
Hearty was excellent, saved four 1 on 1s.
Full back line got cleaned in my opinion esp Skinny
Half back line just ok
Midfield did well
Franny came good in 2nd half
Jamie + Kyle top top quality
Stephen K kicked 2 or 3 excellent points

I fancy Cross for whole thing - have done since St Galls game but that defence needs tightened, Down got in behind way too easily.

brokencrossbar1

Thanks GY. Burger reckons I could still do a job, I'm not sure I would have Jamie's finesse!!!

goldenyears

You were never the finesse man my friend, but those talents of yours would be very handy I'd say!

Banana Man

boys on a serious note, how fu*king good of a club team must crossmaglen be!!!! Just reading this and they beat a county team without 3 of their (Cross') big name players, albeit Down were missing a few but Down being all ireland finalists should be strong enough - that is a crazy scenario in my opinion!

How do you build up a club team to be that good that you actually challenge county teams to a friendly - unreal and fair f**king dues to them, mayb armagh should just let Cross represen them  ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Banana Man on January 28, 2011, 09:27:53 AM
boys on a serious note, how f**king good of a club team must crossmaglen be!!!! Just reading this and they beat a county team without 3 of their (Cross') big name players, albeit Down were missing a few but Down being all ireland finalists should be strong enough - that is a crazy scenario in my opinion!

How do you build up a club team to be that good that you actually challenge county teams to a friendly - unreal and fair f**king dues to them, mayb armagh should just let Cross represen them  ;)

Not the first time either Banana man, we beat a few county teams over the year and drew with Kildare when Micko was the manager.  A lot of factors need to be brought in though, Down in the middle of pre season, we should be at our peak of fitness.  Cross have been playing as a unit for the last 4-5 months and have an understanding that Down will only be rebuilding in the new season.  Also the Cross fringe players who were on would have a point to prove.  Still a good result given the team that Down had out.