Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Down where very impressive in the first half tonight where the direct ball in caused the saffron defence many problems. Danny Hughes was at his brilliant best while Conor Laverty proved again how effective he can be inside. He won every ball that was directed to him in the first half, showing well all the time and playing with great intelligence in creating chances for others. His pass to put Fitzpatrick through for a goal chance was sublime.
Downs second half performance was very disjointed and Colgan was missed as the organiser and leader of our defence. It seemed very harsh on him and Tomas McCann to be shown straight reds.
Antrim lead our defence on a merry dance in the second half with Kevin Niblock directing procedings and Paddy Cunningham showing uneering accuracy.
Both teams went for it at the last with play breaking down on 4 occassions before referee Higgins blew for a 0-12 apiece draw.

Down: G Joyce, P McPolin, G McArdle, K Duffin, K Anderson, J Colgan, K McKernan 0-1, P Fitzpatrick 0-1, M Magee 0-1, D Hughes 0-2, A Carr 0-1, C Maginn, C Laverty 0-1, R Murtagh 0-1, M Clarke 0-4.
Subs used: J Clarke, B Coulter, M Doran, D McCartan, D Gordan.

whitegoodman

Thought down were decent ( no better than that) in the first half and abject in the second.

Lavery and Murtagh won every ball in the first half with Lavery particular impressive and then they get taken off in the second half when they were starved of posession.  Marty Clarke is an unbelievable player but he isnt that good that he doesnt have to follow his man up the field.  They seemed to be coming in 3's and 4's in the second half.  Carr wasnt as near impressive as last saturday.  Hughes very good in first half but quiet in second, maginn flatters to deceive again.

Could badly do with garvey, rooney and rafferty back for 2 wks saturday as we do not seem to have any backup.  Has anybody any updates on any of their injuries.

DownFanatic

Proposed ACMFL 2011
Division 1                                                 Division 2
An Riocht                                                  Ballymartin
Bredagh                                                     Bryansford
Burren                                                        Carryduff
Castlewellan                                               Cill Dharach
Downpatrick                                               Clonduff
Kilcoo                                                         Longstone
Rostrevor                                                    Loughinisland
Saul                                                             Mayobridge
Shamrocks                                                   Saval
Warrenpoint                                                 St Marys

Division 3                                                   Division 4
Ardglass                                                      Annaderg
Ballyholland                                                Atticall
St John Bosco                                              Cill Breachtain
Clann na Banna                                            Drumgath
Drumaness                                                    Glasdrumman
St Johns                                                         Glenn
St Pauls                                                          Mitchels
Tullylish                                                        St Josephs

Minor Football Probable Dates:
League & Championship
April    19   26
May     03    10   17
June     21    28
July      05   13    19     26
Aug     02    09    16    23    30

Minor Championship
Division 1 & 2 play in A Championship
Division 3 & 4 play in B Championship

Delighted to see an All County structure at Minor level. Ive argued on this board on numerous occasions in the past that our county needs to go all county at u-14, U-16 and Minor level.
This is a massive step in the right direction and with the Strategic Review aiming at dissolving a lot of the Divisional Board structures then it might not be too long before the 14's and the 16's will be run by the CCC.

5 Sams

Quote from: John Martin on January 19, 2011, 01:19:16 PM
Does anyone know the date which the leagues will start on this year?

It is usually around Easter but that is a couple of weeks later than usual this year.

Friday 15th April according to the Assistant Sec.
The Aristocrat Years

John Martin

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 21, 2011, 10:29:07 AM
Quote from: John Martin on January 19, 2011, 01:19:16 PM
Does anyone know the date which the leagues will start on this year?

It is usually around Easter but that is a couple of weeks later than usual this year.

Friday 15th April according to the Assistant Sec.

Brilliant, I should be getting home for the first few games of the season then. Cheers for the info.

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 20, 2011, 08:23:56 PM
Proposed ACMFL 2011
Division 1                                                 Division 2
An Riocht                                                  Ballymartin
Bredagh                                                     Bryansford
Burren                                                        Carryduff
Castlewellan                                               Cill Dharach
Downpatrick                                               Clonduff
Kilcoo                                                         Longstone
Rostrevor                                                    Loughinisland
Saul                                                             Mayobridge
Shamrocks                                                   Saval
Warrenpoint                                                 St Marys

Division 3                                                   Division 4
Ardglass                                                      Annaderg
Ballyholland                                                Atticall
St John Bosco                                              Cill Breachtain
Clann na Banna                                            Drumgath
Drumaness                                                    Glasdrumman
St Johns                                                         Glenn
St Pauls                                                          Mitchels
Tullylish                                                        St Josephs

Minor Football Probable Dates:
League & Championship
April    19   26
May     03    10   17
June     21    28
July      05   13    19     26
Aug     02    09    16    23    30

Minor Championship
Division 1 & 2 play in A Championship
Division 3 & 4 play in B Championship

Delighted to see an All County structure at Minor level. Ive argued on this board on numerous occasions in the past that our county needs to go all county at u-14, U-16 and Minor level.
This is a massive step in the right direction and with the Strategic Review aiming at dissolving a lot of the Divisional Board structures then it might not be too long before the 14's and the 16's will be run by the CCC.
Looking forward to this, mind you we have a hell of a lot of travelling to do. 
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mid Down Gael

Down v St. Marys scheduled for tonight in Newry has been cancelled and will now be played tomorrow at 2pm.

Dubh driocht

Down Team for Mayo

Gavin Joyce

Daniel Mc Cartan            Dan Gordon           Paul Mc Polin

Kevin Mc Kernan            Liam Doyle            Luke Howard

Pete Fitzpatrick      Michael Magee

Danny Hughes                   Aidan Carr              Mark Poland

Benny Coulter                    John Clarke             Marty Clarke

I'm assuming Brendy Mc Veigh, Declan Alder, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney, Kalum King, Paul Mc Comiskey ,Benny Mc Ardle,Ambrose Rodgers, James Colgan are all unavailable.
I would have Paul Devlin, Gary Mc Ardle, Owen Costello,Conor Laverty,Ronan Murtagh, Conor Maginn,Declan Sheeran,Kevin Anderson and Philip Bonny on the bench ( assuming it's a 24 man panel)

whitegoodman

Have u been at any of the matches thus far??

Have y heard what james has said about Liam Doyle

I would say it is highly unlikely that McPolin or Doyle will start

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 22, 2011, 05:11:25 PM
Have u been at any of the matches thus far??

Have y heard what james has said about Liam Doyle

I would say it is highly unlikely that McPolin or Doyle will start

I agree. Doyle due to start tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how he goes. McPolin is too small and rash for an intercounty defender, caused 4 or 5 of the frees that Paddy Cunningham converted on wednesday night. The lad is a forward, bit unfair playing him put of position.
We could do with Rafferty, Garvey, Rooney, McArdle, OHagan and Colgan or some of these 6 against Mayo to strengthen the defence, they are trying to get the latters red card recinded from the Antrim game.

whitegoodman

Doyle has played 7 mins of intercounty football in 3 years and some people want him to go straight into a division 1 league match away to mayo.  He is not the same player as he was as a minor and its highly unfair on him to think that he is.

Even if those mentioned that are injured arent back for mayo (lets hope they are for our sake) then id say there would be a few named ahead of Mcpolin in the defence.  Brannigan must have done something very badly wrong to go from coming on in an all ireland final to not getting on a head of a half FORWARD in his first hear of intercounty football.  Im not his biggest fan but given our current injuries he should be in there.

Id say lavery and murtagh must be very close to a start as well, john clarke would have to perform tomorrow to get a start in Mayo and still not convinced they will start Carr

Dubh driocht

Yeah- this is my team - I'm pretty sure James will pick his team and youse boys can pick yours. That's what a discussion board is for.
WGM - not sure how many games of any description that you've been to- you had never heard of Bonny ( who played for the Ford in the county final) or Magee ( who played midfield for your county in an All Ireland final) and now you are able to say that Liam Doyle played precisely 7 minutes in 3 years. He played for most of the league in 2008 , played in the draw and win over Tyrone and got injured just before Armagh scored their goal in the semi-final.
He has also played plenty of senior football since minor- maybe you missed his point against Tyrone in th 03 drawn final ( score of the game ) or maybe you weren't in Ballybofey to see POR take him off in the last minute before we got a free for a left-foot kicker( which cost POR his job).
With Colgan out we need an anchor in the HB line to allow Mc Kernan forward (or play as the spare man) and Doyle is the man with the quality and brains to do that. O'Hagan is also the real deal and if he was fit I would have him in the HB line and move Howard back to corner-back instead of Mc Polin. I think Mc Polin has potential as a defender although he wasn't the only one who didn't come out in the second half against Antrim.He is not going to get on to our attack  as in addition to the players I've mentioned, Conor Poland,Aidan or John fegan and Mark Doran could also come in.Brannigan is a good club player but he is not county standard.

supersub

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 22, 2011, 04:45:02 PM
                     Down Team for Mayo

Gavin Joyce

I'm assuming Brendy Mc Veigh, Declan Alder, Conor Garvey, Decky Rooney, Kalum King, Paul Mc Comiskey ,Benny Mc Ardle,Ambrose Rodgers, James Colgan are all unavailable.
I would have Paul Devlin, Gary Mc Ardle, Owen Costello,Conor Laverty,Ronan Murtagh, Conor Maginn,Declan Sheeran,Kevin Anderson and Philip Bonny on the bench ( assuming it's a 24 man panel)

Does anyone know how Paul McPolin has been placed at corner back? Not being funny or trying to run the lad down because I think he is an excellent player, just wondering how they found this position for him. I presume he didnt go for that position in trials being a forward!!

Also why are those players you mentioned not availabe?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 22, 2011, 04:45:02 PM
                     Down Team for Mayo

Gavin Joyce

i would have murtagh on for john clake, still not convinced that magee is a county midfielder. would like to see big dan out about the middle again. dont think that defence will line out against mayo.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Dubh u r on fire son, so i dont no a fella who broke through on the ford team last year fair enough so i must no nothing.  Then again im not the one who mentioned Aidan fagen, John Fagen, Mark Doran as possible selections, uve said enough, please stop for ur own sake

Ok 3 years may be an exageration but if u think any intercounty manager is going to start a fella who has been out of intercounty football for so long in such a key position ur off ur rocker.  The lad even said himself he cant complete full training sessions with the rest of the panel at times.  Give him some time, if he gets a few mins here and there in the league, gains fitness and confidence, plays CHB for the club in the league ( dont think he did this last year when he was fit to play) and comes through all of this unscathed, then he may be an option come championship time.  Some of u boys want him starting in mayo because he his name is Liam Doyle and then if he is getting a skinning in the first 20, yas rip him to shreds and say the man is finished!!!!!

Agree with u one point regarding O'Hagen, plenty of promise but think he would struggle to get into last yeard half back line IMO

Supersub those boys mentioned are all injured, nobody seems to have any info on whether they will be fit for 2 wks time though.  It likely James will have a challenge match somewhere next wk and will field a team which resembles his league team much more than tomorrows team.