Quote from: Out in Front on January 04, 2011, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: When We Win on January 04, 2011, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on January 02, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
Louth 0-16 Down 0-11

1 Gavin Joyce

2 Eoin Costello 3 Gary McArdle 4 Colm Murray

5 J Colgan 6 K McKernan 7 Micheal McCartan

8 Declan Sheeran 9 P Fitzpatrick

10 M Clarke (1) 11 A Carr 12 B Coulter (1)

13 J Clarke 14 Joe Ireland (2) 15 M Poland (3)

16 Cathal Murdock 17 Kevin Duffin 18 Kevin Anderson
19 Liam Doyle 20 Michael Magee (1) 21 R Murtagh (3)
22 Chris Duggan 23 Paul Devlin 24 Packie Downey 25 Conor Poland

Nice to see Downey and Sheeran named on this panel. As I previously mentioned i thought they were two of the the best in Div 3 last year. Probably sway more towards Sheeran though. The big question I suppose is how did these lads play?

You couldn't judge either player really from this game.
Sheerin played just 12 minutes - he had a bit of a fitness test before the match and I think they gave him some game-time to see how he went.

Downey played the second half - he didn't have that much to do but showed for and won a few balls.

You would probably think that one thing which might go against the likes of Sheerin and Downey is county level fitness at this stage of the year. They need a few weeks hard training under their belt.

stiff breeze

Quote from: When We Win on January 07, 2011, 05:38:44 PM
Quote from: Out in Front on January 04, 2011, 05:19:50 PM
Quote from: When We Win on January 04, 2011, 10:13:06 AM
Quote from: Don Johnson on January 02, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
Louth 0-16 Down 0-11

1 Gavin Joyce

2 Eoin Costello 3 Gary McArdle 4 Colm Murray

5 J Colgan 6 K McKernan 7 Micheal McCartan

8 Declan Sheeran 9 P Fitzpatrick

10 M Clarke (1) 11 A Carr 12 B Coulter (1)

13 J Clarke 14 Joe Ireland (2) 15 M Poland (3)

16 Cathal Murdock 17 Kevin Duffin 18 Kevin Anderson
19 Liam Doyle 20 Michael Magee (1) 21 R Murtagh (3)
22 Chris Duggan 23 Paul Devlin 24 Packie Downey 25 Conor Poland

Nice to see Downey and Sheeran named on this panel. As I previously mentioned i thought they were two of the the best in Div 3 last year. Probably sway more towards Sheeran though. The big question I suppose is how did these lads play?

You couldn't judge either player really from this game.
Sheerin played just 12 minutes - he had a bit of a fitness test before the match and I think they gave him some game-time to see how he went.

Downey played the second half - he didn't have that much to do but showed for and won a few balls.

You would probably think that one thing which might go against the likes of Sheerin and Downey is county level fitness at this stage of the year. They need a few weeks hard training under their belt.

the main thing that will go against them is neither is good enough for county football. Neither man was head and shoulders above the rest of the players in div 3. nothing personal just a fact

ballela-angel

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 07, 2011, 05:11:30 PM
The Irish League game between Newry and Cliftonville scheduled for tonight has just been called off, due to a frozen pitch. What are the chances of Pairc Esler, less than 500 years away from the Showgrounds, being available tomorrow ?
If the match goes ahead tomorrow, will any of the local radio stations stream it?
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

Mid Down Gael

Down team to face St. Marys

1. C.Murdock. 2.P.Bonny. 3.G McArdle. 4.K.Duffin.5.K.Anderson. 6.J.Colgan. 7.M.McCartan. 8.M.Magee. 9.P.Fitzpatrick. 10C.Maginn.11 A.Carr. 12C.Duggan. 13P.Devlin. 14R.Murtagh. 15.C.Poland.

Has to be the weakest lineout ive seen named from the current management but should be good enough to beat an average St Marys outfit. How some of the above are starting on a Down senior team is beyond me. Only Pete Fitz from the starting all ireland final team along with subs Murtagh and Maginn, can see more of the manistays being used against Armagh and Antrim.

thewobbler

I'd be of the opinion that Mayobridge would beat that Down XV quite comfortably.

It's one thing experimenting, but this isn't experimenting, it's a waste of time.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: thewobbler on January 08, 2011, 11:48:56 AM
I'd be of the opinion that Mayobridge would beat that Down XV quite comfortably.

It's one thing experimenting, but this isn't experimenting, it's a waste of time.

+1. Totally agree, there are players starting who would struggle to get their place on the Bridge team.

superblues

alba2

are we seriously supposed to pay £9 in to see that squad in action... Think the ulster council are a disgrace chargin that into these pre season games like.  If they charged £3 they would fill the grounds. esp next weekend with armagh in town.. and dont come back saying its your county and no price is too high to see them play - its a total rip off. we are in a recession like.

superblues

Quote from: alba2 on January 08, 2011, 12:29:56 PM
are we seriously supposed to pay £9 in to see that squad in action... Think the ulster council are a disgrace chargin that into these pre season games like.  If they charged £3 they would fill the grounds. esp next weekend with armagh in town.. and dont come back saying its your county and no price is too high to see them play - its a total rip off. we are in a recession like.
+1 its a joke people need to stay away they are getting away with it far to long the country is in a mess but the gaa still insist in ripping us off

whitegoodman

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 08, 2011, 11:52:57 AM

+1. Totally agree, there are players starting who would struggle to get their place on the Bridge team.

Rediculous statement. 

Firstly I dont no much about Bonny, McCartan, Magee or Duggan and to write them off without even giving them a chance is harsh in the extreme.  It is a glorified friendly against a university side and is ideal to have a look at these boys.  Yes maybe a springling of more seasoned players would be better but given that 5 out of the starting 6 defense from last year are unavailable there wasnt much choice.  Also an extra break for the bridge and burren players who got barely a months break will not do any harm.

Secondly am i missing something are have the bridge suddenly become the harlam globetrotters.  id like to no who all of that team wouldnt get near the bridge team.  The bridge wernt beating to many club teams "comfortably " last year never mind a county select all be an experimental one.

Agree with the point on the ticket prices, absolute disgrace in the current climate especially.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 08, 2011, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 08, 2011, 11:52:57 AM

Rediculous statement. 

Firstly I dont no much about Bonny, McCartan, Magee or Duggan and to write them off without even giving them a chance is harsh in the extreme.  It is a glorified friendly against a university side and is ideal to have a look at these boys.  Yes maybe a springling of more seasoned players would be better but given that 5 out of the starting 6 defense from last year are unavailable there wasnt much choice.  Also an extra break for the bridge and burren players who got barely a months break will not do any harm.

Secondly am i missing something are have the bridge suddenly become the harlam globetrotters.  id like to no who all of that team wouldnt get near the bridge team.  The bridge wernt beating to many club teams "comfortably " last year never mind a county select all be an experimental one.

Agree with the point on the ticket prices, absolute disgrace in the current climate especially.

Bonny couldnt make the county under 21 squad in 2010 while Duggan couldnt get his place on the team. There are many many more accomplished young players in this county and its hard to understand where these lads have caught the eye. they could prove me wrong though and play well tonight and if so fair play to them. Magee, McCartan, Duffin, Anderson and McArdle have been there before and this will be their big chance to make the league squad for the year ahead.

whitegoodman

what clubs are bonny and duggan play for??  I take it they are from the lower divisions.

Has anyone seen them stand out in their respective divisions as i have never heard of them but am willing to give them a chance as james and the boys must have seen something in them or else they wouldnt be wasting their or james time!!

agree on the later ones u mentioned, if any of them are to dislodge any of last years defence then they need to make a quick and impressive start to the year.  Good chance especially for mccardle to stake a claim for the problem position.  Interesting to see if he has matured and strengthened since the last time he played for the county under ross.

IMO there are maybe only 4/5 max positions up for grabs in the championship team, corner back, full back, poss wing back, full forward and that is being extremely harsh on any of the above who played a major part in the magnificant run last year.

alba2

im not saying anything about the players - just the prices to see a makeshift team.  if everyone acted with their feet and didn go to the games the gaa would have to take action. the mc kenna cup could run the risk of becomming like the interprovincial series if people will not attend... then they will have to take action.  bonny has been good underage player for the ford in recent times and did rightly this season in their run to the championship final - needs a chance - duggan is a big lump of a lad from the bosco and i suppose deserves his chance as well - but has been playing lower division footy for while now so may need a major step up to get with the pace of those around him.. devlin and poland are two players that have been talked about for a long time - lets hope they deliver from now on in. they have the talent - just need to perform on consistent basis...  Also hope devlins da stays away from the game - the man is a slabber...

Dubh driocht

Whitegoodman you mustn't see too much football as Bonny played very well for the 'Ford in an outstanding county final. Duggan is a Bosco man AFAIK.Magee (from Ardglass) played midfield for Down in the All Ireland U21 final and played several league games under Ross.
James is right to experiment. With respect to MDG, Paul Devlin is IMO the only Kilcoo player who is fit for the senior squad so I'm glad to see him start.Colgan and Carr are class footballers but they need to get a good run to boost their confidence so again James is right.
£9 in is too much.I have a 17 year old- do the Ulster Council expect her to pay that into a glorified friendly ?

whitegoodman

I dont remember him in the county final, was he corner back??

Also dont remember Magee getting much game time in the league under Ross, u sure about that one.

With no disrespect to James Colgen, IMO last year showed he simply doesnt have the pace for county football, lovely footballer with a lovely pass but pace in the modern game is essential.

Aidan Carr also has alot to do, i thought he did better as a wing back under his da but james seems to see him as a forward.  As a playmaker he will have his work cut to get in ahead of poland and clarke and dont seem him as a working wing forward ala danny hughes