Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cokers

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 06, 2010, 10:06:20 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on December 06, 2010, 09:03:11 PM
DF, this was mentioned a while ago on the Hoganstand, Tullycarnon was a junior team from the Ards. Just outside Portaferry

I see Sean Og in his report to Convention suggests that the Ards teams enter into the Down JFC. He suggests all three teams enter as single entities or if this is not possible an amalgamated Ards team. Id say there would be a brave few handy footballers on the peninsula.

A definate understatment. Many moons ago six or seven of these lads played minors for Kilclief and were all very handy footballers.

johnneycool

Quote from: cokers on December 07, 2010, 12:13:15 AM
DF, this was mentioned a while ago on the Hoganstand, Tullycarnon was a junior team from the Ards. Just outside Portaferry

I see Sean Og in his report to Convention suggests that the Ards teams enter into the Down JFC. He suggests all three teams enter as single entities or if this is not possible an amalgamated Ards team. Id say there would be a brave few handy footballers on the peninsula.

A definate understatment. Many moons ago six or seven of these lads played minors for Kilclief and were all very handy footballers.

We entered into the junior championship back in 1984, the GAA centenary year and ended up drawing Burren thirds and duly got beat. It was a bit of craic and with a few lads having been schooled in St Pats Downpatrick and with a very pro football man in Seany McGourty teaching in St Columba's most of the lads had a bit of the rudimentary skills, sadly kicking straight wasn't one of them! Neither was tackling which leads to disciplinary issues which is always a big concern for clubs.

On the subject, what's wrong with the likes of Kilcoo, Mayobridge, Burren, Bryansford and the likes not entering hurling teams into the Betsey Grey?? What's good for the goose.

Banana Man

Quote from: johnneycool on December 07, 2010, 09:39:49 AM
Quote from: cokers on December 07, 2010, 12:13:15 AM

We entered into the junior championship back in 1984, the GAA centenary year and ended up drawing Burren thirds and duly got beat. It was a bit of craic and with a few lads having been schooled in St Pats Downpatrick and with a very pro football man in Seany McGourty teaching in St Columba's most of the lads had a bit of the rudimentary skills, sadly kicking straight wasn't one of them! Neither was tackling which leads to disciplinary issues which is always a big concern for clubs.

On the subject, what's wrong with the likes of Kilcoo, Mayobridge, Burren, Bryansford and the likes not entering hurling teams into the Betsey Grey?? What's good for the goose.

:D I know what your saying JC but I can see a load of reasons, first big one being costs. To play football all you need is a size 5, to play hurling everyone needs a stick and a few extra for breakages plus due to H&S everyone will need a helmet at the very least. The costs wouldn't be long going up.

Also having played both it is a lot easier to adapt to footy for hurlers then a footballer trying to adapt to hurling, the skills required for hurling, even at a basic level are a lot higher but i do get your point.

Although i would like to see football back on the ards, the county should be expoliting every blade of grass we can...

EagleLord

Great point indeed. I know a brave few boys in those clubs you mentioned that enjoy a bit of hurling. But because there isnt a big enough interest in their club, they could never gather a team together. It was suggested that the few lads interested in playing, could just play for the nearest hurling club, Conduff, but I wouldnt think Mayobridge or Kilcoo lads would wear a yella jersey.. And you cant really argue with that..

T O Hare

Quote from: EagleLord on December 07, 2010, 01:57:02 PM
Great point indeed. I know a brave few boys in those clubs you mentioned that enjoy a bit of hurling. But because there isnt a big enough interest in their club, they could never gather a team together. It was suggested that the few lads interested in playing, could just play for the nearest hurling club, Conduff, but I wouldnt think Mayobridge or Kilcoo lads would wear a yella jersey.. And you cant really argue with that..

I would not be seen dead in a Clonduff jersey  ;D ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

downjim

Quote from: T O Hare on December 07, 2010, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on December 07, 2010, 01:57:02 PM

I would not be seen dead in a Clonduff jersey  ;D ;)

I wonder did your father or Bennys father say the same!!!!!

umpire

Is the ex manager of Island the new manager of super red????

supersub

Have heard similar reports myself, none confirmed though!

Yeh Gerard Colgan new reds manager.

NedFlanders

Ross Carr over mayobridge year, so a few of the lads at work were saying

dundrumite

Quote from: NedFlanders on December 10, 2010, 09:45:20 AM
Ross Carr over mayobridge year, so a few of the lads at work were saying

Did a poster not state Francie Poland taking the Bridge?

ApresMatch

Pat McMahon will manage Darragh Cross next year. Eddie McToal from belfast will train the team.Any other new managers in?

Square Ball

Bredagh's new manager is Michael O'Callaghan, this is an internal appointment, good luck Mick
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

No hoper

Under 20 championship result

Clonduff 0-10  Mayobride 3-11

MagicMan

Any word on when there will be trials for the U21 set up??

alba2

Any word how the trials went the other night - who was taking part in them?