Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Johnnie99

I see EDRFL fixtures have been put on the down website today for games on sunday at 7pm, what a joke!

DownFanatic

Tullylish beat Glenn by 6 points in Division 3 on Monday Night

SuperHans

Here lads what ever happened to Simon Poland? Does he still play or is he passed it?
Paudie Matthews was a decent player, is he not county standard?

Cloc Mor

Both still playing with their clubs.  Paudie was in County panel earlier in the year but was dropped.  Both could still be playing with Down if they had been given more of a chance by Pete Mc Grath, instead of him playing all his 'greats' - probably one of the reasons Down football is in the state it is today.

Whitehair

ACHL Div1

Ballela 1.5 Ballygalget 1.12

Broke even around the middle but ballygalget have more than 1 scoring forward which made the difference. We hit about 12 wides to their 2, possibly 3!

Lecale2

Quote from: Whitehair on May 15, 2007, 09:00:58 PM
ACHL Div1

Ballela 1.5 Ballygalget 1.12

Broke even around the middle but ballygalget have more than 1 scoring forward which made the difference. We hit about 12 wides to their 2, possibly 3!
And your umpire gave a goal that wasn't even close to the line from where I was standing! Plus a couple of dodgy 65s  ;) Anyway good to see Ballela fielding a good young team - there's hope for the future for ye. You had a good game yourself whiteface (wasn't that you at No 5?).

Colonel Cool

Most of the rest of the games were called off because of county matches at weekend. Why were you in Ballela Lecale?  ;) If the ball didn't cross the line why was it given?
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on May 15, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
Most of the rest of the games were called off because of county matches at weekend. Why were you in Ballela Lecale?  ;) If the ball didn't cross the line why was it given?

A bit of hometown umpiring is the answer to that.
The decision to award the penalty in itself was a bit ropey in the first place. The fullforward and fullback were going for a ball dropping wide, the fullforward ended up in the ballscreen after a bit of pushing, one was as bad as the other in my partisan view. How Paul ended up giving a penalty for that is beyond me. He certainly didn't give his former fellow parishoners any benefits of the doubt tonight.
Poor game in all with Ballygalget still struggling to get enough scores on the board that their possession upfield merits, same story last week against Newry

johnneycool

Lecale,
     what happened when your game against our thirds was cancelled?

Lecale2

Even if it was a penalty it should have been cancelled when big Joe kicked out at the full back.

Quote from: johnneycool on May 15, 2007, 10:33:15 PM
Lecale,
     what happened when your game against our thirds was cancelled?
With a load of cry-offs due to work & injury we couldn't field both tonight and tomorrow in the Antrim league. Ballygalget were happy to oblige.

Quote from: Colonel Cool on May 15, 2007, 09:47:16 PM
Why were you in Ballela Lecale?  ;)
I was supposed to be in Newry for the Ballycran game. When that was cancelled decided to go to Ballygalget and when that was cancelled there was only Ballela left!

Bacon

Good to see Ballela back after their problems of the past few weeks. I hear the manager wee Mal resigned. Is that anything to do with the improved turn outs?
Any other results from last night?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Whitehair

Aye we were saying last nite that the lad who was doing umpire scores more for us when he's off the pitch than when he's on it! :D The turnouts have improved a bit over the last few weeks, although Mal seniors depearture hasnt had a bearing on it, just been the case of a fews more lads showing a bit of commitment. Was that a full strength galgets 2nd team? What team are spike and paudi mc manus playing for this year?

johnneycool

Quote from: Whitehair on May 16, 2007, 10:10:55 AM
What team are spike and paudi mc manus playing for this year?

Spikes a waster and hasn't bothered his hole at all this year. Wee Paudie has had to hang up the boots at a very young age due to a problem with one of his hips. more's the pity as he was some talent.

We were probably short two or three who would be deemed seconds players, but some of our better forwards last night are thirds players so to speak.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Cloc Mor on May 15, 2007, 08:32:58 PM
Both still playing with their clubs.  Paudie was in County panel earlier in the year but was dropped.  Both could still be playing with Down if they had been given more of a chance by Pete Mc Grath, instead of him playing all his 'greats' - probably one of the reasons Down football is in the state it is today.

You cant blame Pete for making Poland leaving Bryansford to join Castlewellan where he only played a handful of games, this caused his game to go into decline and he then returned to Bryansford in 2004, only a squad player now though at 31 years.
Poland had a grievance with Bryansford over Family issues and asked for a Transfer, Castlewellan accepted his proposal and set up a bank account in his name with a dodgy address, Bryansford declined to sign the forms but Kevin Bell (our great chairman) duly agreed to it and granted the move, this was around the time of the The McCartan Clan moving to Burren, Simon Gribben Bryansford to Castlewellan, Hanna Ballykinlar to Castlewellan, McGrady St John's to castlewellan etc etc - this was Kevin Bell at his best! - and he got back in again!!!!!!!