Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

Who is niall donnelly?
Was at tullylish game today - what number did he play

banker

Quote from: goldenyears on November 21, 2010, 05:42:47 PM
Who is niall donnelly?
tullylish number 3 that went off injured.
he partnered mcparland with the minors this year in midfield
won a macrory and hogan with st colmans last year at full back
captain of st colmans team this year.
plauged with injuries though.

T O Hare

Who is niall donnelly?

He plays full back for St Colmans McRory team this year and was instrumental in their victory last year. He played midfield for last years minor team !!!

Micheal Lively and Seamus Grant have been our best defenders this season and i am surprised they have not got a trial !!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T O Hare

Quote from: downjim on November 21, 2010, 05:06:24 PM
I have not left the country. It was only the league. Burren are a championship team and were down from last weeks defeat. We dominated for large parts of the game and Benny should get a game at winger for Declan Kidneys side after that dive for the penalty

Wise up you clown. We could have hammered Burren if we had taken our shooting boots!!! Yesterday was much more than a league title ;D ;D ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on November 21, 2010, 05:48:02 PM
Who is niall donnelly?

He plays full back for St Colmans McRory team this year and was instrumental in their victory last year. He played midfield for last years minor team !!!

Micheal Lively and Seamus Grant have been our best defenders this season and i am surprised they have not got a trial !!

Nial Donnelly is too young and not at the standard of a county senior player yet but has great potential for the future.
Seamus Grant is a great defender, really think he is under rated. He never gave Murdock a kick from play last night.

On the trial list there are players who where poor and inconcistent all year at club football while players like Grant and Lively as well as two or 3 from my own club that where consistent and caught the eye throughout the league failed to get a trial.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 21, 2010, 06:19:32 PM
Who is niall donnelly?

Nial Donnelly is too young and not at the standard of a county senior player yet but has great potential for the future.
Seamus Grant is a great defender, really think he is under rated. He never gave Murdock a kick from play last night.

On the trial list there are players who where poor and inconcistent all year at club football while players like Grant and Lively as well as two or 3 from my own club that where consistent and caught the eye throughout the league failed to get a trial.

Who from Kilcoo?

Dubh driocht

Glasdrumman were unlucky to lose to Drumgath at a cold Moygannon today. It was a tough, low scoring game, well refereed and it was always going to be a tight affair. Packie Downey missed two sitters in the first half and overall was well marshalled by Art Mc Cartan although his raw strength made the difference in the last ten minutes. Pat Mallon had a fine game for the losers but the three best players on show all have county trials tomorrow night. The Drumgath fullback Parsons had his hands full with the excellent Conaire Harrison but did follow his man out the field to score an inspirational point when it looked like Glasdrumman were going to pull away.I think that was Declan Sheerin at 9 - his fielding was outstanding- that pulled the strings for the winners although, as has been pointed out - last year after their early season Celebrity Bainisteoir exploits Glasdrumman finished well ahead of Shamrocks in Division 2 but the Newry men stayed up ( again).This year the team that wins the league ( and Lucan it's a league , not a championship) doesn't go up - cruel on the team with the smallest catchment area in County Down.

Will be interesting to see if veterans like Mallon, Cormac Murphy and Raymie Clarke can lift themselves for another slog in Division 3. Also, saw that Barry Hynes still playing for Drumgath- I remember he was the first ( and possibly the only ) footballer in Down to copy Robbie Fowler with the plaster on the bridge of his nose to take in more oxygen.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dundrumite on November 21, 2010, 06:47:27 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 21, 2010, 06:19:32 PM
Who is niall donnelly?

Who from Kilcoo?

Nial Brannigan.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: goldenyears on November 20, 2010, 01:11:07 PM
The following players are invited to attend a Down senior Football
Trial on Monday 22nd November in Pairc Esler at 6.15pm. Club are asked
to notify their players and to ensure that they are in attendance.
Players are asked to confirm their attendance before 5.00pm on Monday
by contacting me on either of the numbers below.

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Annaclone - Gary McArdle, Kevin Anderson
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Ballyholland - Joe Murphy
Ballymartin - Gavin Joyce
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Bryansford - Philip Bonny, Luke Howard, Joe Ireland
Burren - Cathal Murdock, Gerard McCartan, Sean Murdock, Eamonn Toner,
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Clann na Banna - Malachy Magee
Clonduff - Darren O'Hagan, Jason Brown, Paul McPolin, Arthur McConville
Downpatrick - Peter Telford
Drumgath - Jackie Lynch, Stephen Parsons, Declan Sheerin, Packie Downey
Glasdrumman - Conor Harrison
Glenn - Niall McParland
Kilcoo - Conor Laverty, Paul Devlin
Liatroim - Michéal McCartan
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mayobridge - Shane O'Hare, Ryan Brady, Cathal Magee
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Saval - Rory Digney, Fergal McConville
St John Bosco - Chris Duggan
St Johns - Gerard McAnulty
Tullylish - Gareth Johnson, Niall Donnelly, Shannon Drainey, John McAreavey
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

I believe the players above in bold are the only ones who would be up to the required standard especially considering Down are playing top flight football next year. Some of the younger players need a year or two yet with their clubs and county under 21s imo. Conor Laverty should not have to be trialled also, played in 15 of Downs games from January to September last year including friendlys. Darren OHagan likewise who featured in two championship matchs. What are they going to see in a trial that they have not seen from this duo in matchs and in training this year.

goldenyears

Some posters on here haven't a clue. This is an exercise to keep clubs happy.
There is no way some of these boys are county material; and to highlight that James keep some of last years panel involved so that the real difference in quality can be highlighted.
The young lads can see the gap they have to work to close + the dross mainly for div 3 + 4 get a day out

EagleLord

Quote from: downjim on November 21, 2010, 05:06:24 PM
I have not left the country. It was only the league. Burren are a championship team and were down from last weeks defeat. We dominated for large parts of the game and Benny should get a game at winger for Declan Kidneys side after that dive for the penalty

Would ye quit. You were shoutin your mouth off before the game, you were shown up. Just take a beating. As T O'Hare said there, your 'that was only the league' comment doesnt wash. And you know it doesnt. It was Burrens chance to really show they are the best team in the county, because although winning the championship, alot of people weren't convinced. The bridge also wanted to show that they are not finished. It was a huge game and was about much more than a trophy. Next year should be great.

Highlander3

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 21, 2010, 07:16:30 PM

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Glenn - Niall McParland
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

I believe the players above in bold are the only ones who would be up to the required standard especially considering Down are playing top flight football next year. Some of the younger players need a year or two yet with their clubs and county under 21s imo. Conor Laverty should not have to be trialled also, played in 15 of Downs games from January to September last year including friendlys. Darren OHagan likewise who featured in two championship matchs. What are they going to see in a trial that they have not seen from this duo in matchs and in training this year.

Mid Down Geal would you not also add Like Howard to that list

I think this is a good idear, we have to keep the competition up in the squad, and i think some of these players are definitely worth a look at

When We Win

Quote from: Highlander3 on November 21, 2010, 11:34:19 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 21, 2010, 07:16:30 PM

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Glenn - Niall McParland
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

Mid Down Geal would you not also add Like Howard to that list

I think this is a good idear, we have to keep the competition up in the squad, and i think some of these players are definitely worth a look at

In all the games i watched in Div 3 and Intermediate Championship this year, i never seen too many footballers capable of playing for Down probably bar Paul McC. Fair enough they need to be given a chance as someone special may be uncovered but majority of those boys just wouldnt cut the mustard.

If i was able to pick one player to throw into the mix it would be Declan SHerrin. I have seen no one compete with him in the games i have watched. Unfortunately because he is playing Div 3 we dont know how he could compete with the likes of Ambrose etc but i would go to the trials just to see if he could be useful. Probably age gets in his way.

They should have a couple of games between these boys and pick there best 18 and then play Downs strongest. Maybe 5 will be worth taking on board I would think but as another poster has said this is just an exercise to keep a few boys happy. Were these players nominated by their clubs or did James ask for them. I have seen a couple of players from Darragh Cross put in big performances this year and i am suprised they are not in the same league as Lynch, Harrison, Cooney, Dougan.

I still think the DOwn squad need another few members.

Square Ball

Just like to wish Bredagh club man Paul Blaney good luck as he runs for Chair of East Down tonight.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

BarryBreensBandage

The club held their juvenile presentation night on Saturday night past, and Brendan McVeigh was in attendance.
Just wanted to say what a great ambassador for Down Football - nothing was a hassle, his speech was great and
had time for anyone who wanted to talk to him, all in a relaxed manner. Absolute Gentleman.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".