Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Quote from: Square Ball on November 13, 2010, 08:29:48 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 13, 2010, 08:09:59 PM
Best of luck to Burren tomorrow. They are a good all-round team and the only area where they're short is in craft ;Cross have it in spades. The referee will need to be strong but they are good enough towin. Eoin Mc Cartan may have to play through the pain barrier to to get them over the line .
The Division 3 play-off will be interesting. Both Bosco and Bredagh have had good under-age teams in recent years but the potential has not yet been fulfilled at senior level. Bosco were favourites for the JFC final but didn't really turn up - Bredagh started the season like a rocket but lost several games to late scores.One point that has already been referred to is the extra-time between Saul and Bosco. If the play-offs are on a league basis, as I understood they were, that should have been one point each- however the referee played extra time and Saul went down. If it is a draw after 60 minutes tomorrow, Bredagh could claim they have 3 out of 4 points and therefore stay up as Bosco would have 2- however, as ET was played it is death or glory tomorrow and a draw will mean extra-time or a replay.

It was always going to be extra time, as far as I am aware all the teams involved in the play offs were informed of extra time in the event of a draw, well we were anyway. Lets hope we are still in div 3 when the ref blows the final whistle tomorrow afternoon

I think Bredagh beat Saul after extra time? It shows how tight Div 3 is. Best of luck to our lads today.

13aside

good luck to burren today,if they keep their cool and concentrate on football they might just do it

SHEEDY

Quote from: 13aside on November 14, 2010, 09:10:38 AM
good luck to burren today,if they keep their cool and concentrate on football they might just do it
would like to wish burren good luck as well. hope they can do down football proud. in eamonn toner at full forward they have a real player, someone who can win his own ball and score with both feet. worth a chance in mckenna cup imo.
nil satis nisi optimum

In the Onion Bag

Althought I think they will be really up against it against Cross I still would like to see Burren do the business. 
Best of luck to them and Bredagh today.

Lecale2

Bosco won the Div 3 relegation play-off by 4pts. Something like 4-7 to 1-12. Div 4 football for Bredagh next year.  >:(

andunabu

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 14, 2010, 02:29:06 PM
Bosco won the Div 3 relegation play-off by 4pts. Something like 4-7 to 1-12. Div 4 football for Bredagh next year.  >:(
Division 3 relegation play-off Newry Bosco 4 - 9 Bredagh 1 - 13.  A very exiting game in a very foggy and cold Tullylish. Hard luck to Bredagh.  It wasn't a 5 point game. A late penalty put the distance between the 2 teams.

Dubh driocht

Yes, the Bredagh Bosco game was all about goals- a fine ,hard sporting encounter between two teams who really should not be in this position but , as the saying goes, league tables don't lie.The first Bosco goal was sored with their first attack, catching Bredagh cold.The second was a controversial 'Pat Donnan' over the line call by the umpire .The third was an excellent solo effort by the Bosco number 9 who took advantage of slack defending, and a blood sub who had not had the chance to warm up, to waltz through Bredagh while the fourth was an injury-time penalty when the City boys were in disarray .Brian Rice, who must have scored 1-6, also bagged an excellent goal to leave Bredagh 2 up going into the last 5 minutes. A pity that someone had to lose this one and cruel on Bredagh.
As for Burren, a disastrous opening 20 minutes, when they needed a good start, was ultimately their undoing.You can't beat the old dog for the hard road and we can only reflect on what a fit Eoin Mc Cartan could have brought Burren ( and Down). You have to admire Cross!

Square Ball

Gutted, but as I have previously posted, and what Dd has alluded to the tables dont lie. We diddnt get relegated today, its a season long contest and its div 4 next year for us, we will be back, mark my words
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dundrumite

Quote from: Square Ball on November 14, 2010, 08:43:56 PM

Gutted, but as I have previously posted, and what Dd has alluded to the tables dont lie. We diddnt get relegated today, its a season long contest and its div 4 next year for us, we will be back, mark my words

Would never have predicted this at the start of year.
Drumaness, Teconnaught, Saul and Bredagh in Division 4 next year with only one getting promoted, be the most competitive 4 in recent memory. I suppose that is the whole point of the restructuring.

dundrumite

DownFanatic

Lineups for 2011 Championships

SFC

Burren 
Mayobridge   
Clonduff 
Kilcoo 
Bryansford 
Rostrevor 
An Riocht   
Longstone 
Liatroim 
Castlewellan 
Ballyholland   
Saval   
Downpatrick   
Loughinisland   
Warrenpoint
Tullylish

IFC

Clann na Banna   
Ballymartin   
Annaclone 
Shamrocks   
Kilclief 
Atticall 
Glasdrumman
Drumgath 
Darragh Cross   
Dundrum 
Ardglass   
Glenn 
Carryduff   
St Johns   
Bosco
Drumaness 

JFC

Bredagh
Saul
Teconnaught 
Mitchels 
St Michaels 
St Pauls   
Dromara   
Aughlisnafin 
Bright   
Aghaderg 
Ballykinlar 

Banana Man

Jeysus lads Division 4 is going to be a minefield next year and only 1 going up i think???

Nearly all the teams have played in Division 3 in the last 5 years or so, going to be like quicksand I would think, this restructuring might just work.

On another note 8 out of the 11 are from east down i.e. derbies galore which will make it even harder

knockitdown

Any word on the div 1 & 3 league finals?

maldini

whats going on at Bredagh? with all the supposedly great underage teams theyve had over the years how can they be in division 4 now???

banker