Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Harps V Saval game switched to 2 30pm on SATURDAY in Burren now because of the GPA awards on Friday night. Clonduff & the Bridge game switched to Newcastle 3pm Saturday
The Aristocrat Years

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 02, 2010, 10:51:20 AM
Harps V Saval game switched to 2 30pm on SATURDAY in Burren now because of the GPA awards on Friday night. Clonduff & the Bridge game switched to Newcastle 3pm Saturday

So people cant go and watch both games 5 sams...??? Seriously who devises these fixtures?? Mickey Mouse?? Complete and utter joke never ever ceases to amaze me  >:(

Newcastle like what the fxxk??? Why not saval??

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: redandblackareback on November 02, 2010, 12:20:47 PM

So people cant go and watch both games 5 sams...??? Seriously who devises these fixtures?? Mickey Mouse?? Complete and utter joke never ever ceases to amaze me  >:(

Yeah its utter madness. I for one would love to see both games. Would it not make sence to play one at 1pm and the other at 3pm at venues in close proximity, eg. Bridge v Clonduff in Saval,  Burren or Ballyholland and Saval v Harps in Mayobridge or Burren.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 02, 2010, 06:03:39 AM
Quote from: Oglach on November 01, 2010, 11:31:42 PM
Commiseration to our neighbours Leitrim who fell at the weekend, I write this sincrerly because as a member of a small parish and a small  catchment area i know too well of the struggle to find the numbers within our area to feed the demands of a division 1 football team. We're not blessed with 50 U-8s turning up for training on a Saturday morning, indeed we rely on a good fall of snow and an elecrity black out to make the bare 15 lols. Leitim also support a hurley team which they deserve cedit for. They came up along with ourselves in 98 and beat us in two finals that year. We will miss the derbys and the craic and i personaly hope to see them back in 2012.

I didnt think ye's would have it in ye's!
Fair play lad

Totally agree. Will miss the rivalry of the local derby and both clubs will suffer financially in the gate reciepts as the fixture always attracted a big crowd. Saying that Liatriom hung on in recent years by the skin of their teeth and it was only a matter of time especially with Liam Doyle and Collie McCrickard suffering long term injuries.
I think they will not be far away in division 2 next year along with the town, Loughinisland and Downpatrick at the top. 

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 02, 2010, 03:03:05 PM

Yeah its utter madness. I for one would love to see both games. Would it not make sence to play one at 1pm and the other at 3pm at venues in close proximity, eg. Bridge v Clonduff in Saval,  Burren or Ballyholland and Saval v Harps in Mayobridge or Burren.

1. No pitch in the County would take 2 games one after another with the rain over the past 48 hrs.

2. Saval could not host the Div 1 Semi, as there would be no one from the Saval club there to steward the crowd, do the gate etc. There club members would be at the Div 2 Final.

3. Sunday is out as I'm sure everyone will want to go to Páirc Esler to watch the Burren game.

A hard one to get right I'm sure for anyone to organise!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on November 02, 2010, 03:19:36 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 02, 2010, 03:03:05 PM

1. No pitch in the County would take 2 games one after another with the rain over the past 48 hrs.

2. Saval could not host the Div 1 Semi, as there would be no one from the Saval club there to steward the crowd, do the gate etc. There club members would be at the Div 2 Final.

3. Sunday is out as I'm sure everyone will want to go to Páirc Esler to watch the Burren game.

A hard one to get right I'm sure for anyone to organise!

I didnt suggest one pitch hosting 2 games one game after another. it could have been arranged so both fixtures could have been attended. Even play the div 1 simi in Newcastle at 3 or 3.15 as its fixed for but play the the div 2 final at 1pm in Burren. What difference would an hour and a half earlier make.

6th sam

Organisation of fixtures in Down is a mammoth and thankless task,handled with fairness and respect for all clubs by a voluntary administrator.The overall system(which has been agreed by the clubs) isn't perfect but is probably the best in Ireland ,has been gradually improved over recent years,and hopefully will be further improved in the forthcoming seasons.I will not go into all the factors which have to be taken into consideration by the fixtures secretary,suffice to say that it is absolutely impossible to keep everybody happy all of the time.My own club have at times been forced to play matches at awkward dates, times and venues,but when we sought an explanation ,we understood that it was inevitably the best or only option available.And before you ask I am not a member of the county board,nor related to Sean Rooney,I just have enormous respect for the efficiency,intelligence and time he gives to this task.Many thanks Seán.

redandblackareback

Quote from: 6th sam on November 02, 2010, 09:14:22 PM

Organisation of fixtures in Down is a mammoth and thankless task,handled with fairness and respect for all clubs by a voluntary administrator.The overall system(which has been agreed by the clubs) isn't perfect but is probably the best in Ireland ,has been gradually improved over recent years,and hopefully will be further improved in the forthcoming seasons.I will not go into all the factors which have to be taken into consideration by the fixtures secretary,suffice to say that it is absolutely impossible to keep everybody happy all of the time.My own club have at times been forced to play matches at awkward dates, times and venues,but when we sought an explanation ,we understood that it was inevitably the best or only option available.And before you ask I am not a member of the county board,nor related to Sean Rooney,I just have enormous respect for the efficiency,intelligence and time he gives to this task.Many thanks Seán.

6th sam, no offence directed at sean rooney but Im sure he s not on his own carrying this can?? But seriously If there was a full round of fixtures on saturday then fair enough I could understand but we have a League final in division 2, a local derby added into the bargin and then we have another local derby in a league semi final?? all clubs in close proximity and with supporters probably wanting to see both.maybe three is the only time that suits the bridge, Eamon might be training monaghan that morning maybe.. who knows  .... :-\

DownFanatic

Anybody any views on Divisional All Star teams for the past season?

This would be my Division 3 select from what Ive seen this year.

1. Eamon King (Dundrum)

2. Ethan Toner (Bosco)
3. Stephen Deegans (Ardglass)
4. Conal McKee (Dundrum)

5. Ryan Doran (Glasdrumman)
6. Packie Downey (Drumgath)
7. Mark Trimble (Glasdrumman)

8. Cormac Murphy (Glasdrumman)
9. Declan Sheerin (Drumgath)

10. Mark Connolly (Drumgath)
11. Hugh Murray (Darragh Cross)
12. Jack Lynch (Drumgath)

13. Raymond Magorrian (Glasdrumman)
14. Paul McComiskey (Dundrum)
15. Marcus Miskelly (Darragh Cross)

dundrumite

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 03, 2010, 09:53:38 PM

1. Eamon King (Dundrum)

2. Ethan Toner (Bosco)
4. Conal McKee (Dundrum)

11. Hugh Murray (Darragh Cross)12. Jack Lynch (Drumgath)

Disagree with a couple of selections .

Firstly as lethal as Paul was for us when he hit form he probably didn't play 50% of Division 3 games with niggling injuries and starred games. The Full forward to impress me this year was Nathan Keenan from Saul and indeed Stephen Deegan who you have in full back when converted there.

I think with Jack Lynch you are putting a square peg into a round hole and I would be surprised if at anytime of the year he featured in that position. The young wing half forward from Glenn Denis Murtagh showed class when I saw him. Perhaps a place for Liam Mullan could also be argued for at number 11.

Apart form that pretty much bang on the money.

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on November 03, 2010, 10:55:31 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 03, 2010, 09:53:38 PM

1. Eamon King (Dundrum)

2. Ethan Toner (Bosco)
4. Conal McKee (Dundrum)

11. Hugh Murray (Darragh Cross)12. Jack Lynch (Drumgath)

Disagree with a couple of selections .

Firstly as lethal as Paul was for us when he hit form he probably didn't play 50% of Division 3 games with niggling injuries and starred games. The Full forward to impress me this year was Nathan Keenan from Saul and indeed Stephen Deegan who you have in full back when converted there.

I think with Jack Lynch you are putting a square peg into a round hole and I would be surprised if at anytime of the year he featured in that position. The young wing half forward from Glenn Denis Murtagh showed class when I saw him. Perhaps a place for Liam Mullan could also be argued for at number 11.

Apart form that pretty much bang on the money.

Declan Alder (Carryduff), Niall McParland (Glenn), Liam Mullan (Ardglass) and Nathan Keenan (Saul) all had very good seasons, particularly Keenan.

Dubh driocht

DF, After Mc Comiskey, the stand-out forward in this division is Conaire Harrison of Glasdrumman- I know he missed a fair few games but he's lethal. Owen Costello from Bredagh and Declan Alder should be there also whereas Ryan Doran has gone off the boil.

east down gael

My team would be

Armstrong
toner
deegans
costelloe
doran
kingo Saul
mcnulty
lynch
sheerin
mullan
slevin
Murray
magorrian
keenan
miskelly

the best player in the division,Harrison,unfortunately missed too many games to be considered.

dundrumite

Quote from: east down gael on November 03, 2010, 11:23:37 PM
My team would be

Armstrong
toner
deegans
costelloe
doran
kingo Saul
mcnulty
lynch
sheerin
mullan
slevin
Murray
magorrian
keenan
miskelly

the best player in the division,Harrison,unfortunately missed too many games to be considered.

Not so much as being a Dundrum man, but more so as having been blessed with the sense of sight, I would have to disagree with you and say Paul Mc Comiskey is the best player in Division 3.

When We Win

Quote from: dundrumite on November 04, 2010, 12:07:12 AM
Quote from: east down gael on November 03, 2010, 11:23:37 PM
My team would be

Armstrong
toner
deegans
costelloe
doran
kingo Saul
mcnulty
lynch
sheerin
mullan
slevin
Murray
magorrian
keenan
miskelly

Not so much as being a Dundrum man, but more so as having been blessed with the sense of sight, I would have to disagree with you and say Paul Mc Comiskey is the best player in Division 3.

i would not know alot of the players names as i did not buy too many programmes but from the games i watched this year following Darragh Cross I would say that Glen had maybe had two very classy players, one was half back and one half forward.

Drumgath's right half forward, ginger fella, was very good in two games. Sheerin can definately field a ball so he's a shoe in. Was Lynch not missing for part of the season? I would have to put in Padraig Mageean in there. And to be honest he is not far from being given player of the year.

In the four games against Drumgath and Glassdrumman I wouldnt think there was 10 - 11 players better than what Darragh Cross have.

St Johns had a couple of decent players. Apart from that no other team had any stand out performers.