Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomorrow is another day

Leo's view is a valid comment and view even though I disagreement with it in every way.

Ballyholland are possibly the only club in the county that is truely a town team based on schools and catchment area but have the traditions and culture of a country team.

Have the Harps team underdelivered? I dont think so. For whatever reason there seems to be a small pick in the team / club and although there have been a few false dawns I do think that next season could be the year when the team survives Div 1 as a mid table team.

What must be recognised however is the fact that the club's own ex players are putting their time in free to manage and develop the team. Look around Div 1 and Div2 teams - very few are managed by the own people. (Shamrocks and Downpatrick to their credit have a good tradition here too). This must be the way forward for GAA in the county. The gravy train years for so called experts in training and or pyschology and or nutrition to take teams other than their own clubs has delivered nothing for those clubs or for the development of the game within Down.

I applaude all clubs that encourage their own members to manage their teams and most of all those members who show the true spirit of the GAA by giving their time freely to develop our games in their home area and the skills and character of the young men in their clubs!

Mid Down Gael

Is Liatriom v Longstone in Saval or Newry today? It was originally fixed for Newry in press but i see Down website has it listed for Saval? Anyone confirm?

Bitta-Banter

Darragh Cross v Drumgath is now in Ballymartin at 3.00 tomorrow.

Bearly on loose

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 30, 2010, 11:43:44 AM
Is Liatriom v Longstone in Saval or Newry today? It was originally fixed for Newry in press but i see Down website has it listed for Saval? Anyone confirm?

Saval at 3pm Mid Down Gael.  With the Tullylish Ulster Intermediate game fixed for Pairc Esler tomorrow they moved the game to saval after all the rain in the last few days I believe.

thewobbler

I'd say that Ballyholland are no more from Newry than Burren are from Warrenpoint. Yes, the Harps dip into the town, mostly from the High St / Church St area, but the vast majority of players come from 2 square miles of bog and the one primary school.

Tomorrow is another day

I would have thought that the players over the years from Church st / high street were minimal in comparison to Courtenay Hill, Warrenpoint Road area, Rathfriland road area, lol. I take your point though.

supersub

Does anyone know if the u21 competition is actually u21 or is it u20 again as there has been some confusion around the county re the age limit!

No hoper

Ive heard its been changed back to under 20, which is a joke as whichever team wins has to compete at under 21 level. Rostrever had to drop 13 players who had started training but are not available for the under 20 grade

13aside

longstone stay up. just back from liatroim v longstone.the mourne men just about deserved to win as liatroim hauled themselves back into the game on at least two occasions.match referee moore will hardly get any christmas cards from the fontenoy boys as a couple of iportant calls especially late on went against them.having said that the final score of the game from the 'stone  from out on the right was superb.

knockitdown

Heard tonyt that the winners of the promotion plays offs in div 2 and div 3 tomorrow definately go up along with the teams that finished top. Anyone no if this is true?

thewobbler

Knock it down, why do you think they're called promotion playoffs?

Square Ball

Quote from: knockitdown on October 30, 2010, 08:16:57 PM
Heard tonyt that the winners of the promotion plays offs in div 2 and div 3 tomorrow definately go up along with the teams that finished top. Anyone no if this is true?

thats the first I heard of that
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

knockitdown

Quote from: thewobbler on October 30, 2010, 08:19:52 PM

so are 2 teams going up?

norabeag

Quote from: knockitdown on October 30, 2010, 08:56:20 PM

so are 2 teams going up?
In Div 2 Ballyholland are already up and will be joined by the winners of Downpatrick v Saval

dundrumite

Quote from: knockitdown on October 30, 2010, 08:56:20 PM

so are 2 teams going up?
Two teams are up from Division 2. 1 each from 3 and 4