Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotwocharlie

check out www.winonehundredthousand.ie    great value for £20

potential income for clubs etc.

TheClutch

Anybody know when kilcoo's ulster minor campaign starts? Bryansford U16s got off to a great start in the u16 ulster tournament, hopefully burren can get a good run in ulster as well
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: TheClutch on October 27, 2010, 06:57:17 PM
Anybody know when kilcoo's ulster minor campaign starts? Bryansford U16s got off to a great start in the u16 ulster tournament, hopefully burren can get a good run in ulster as well

Quarter Finals:

5/12/10 Clontibret O'Neills(Monaghan) v Kilcoo Owen Roes(Down)

dundrumite

Whats the feeling among posters on Play offs?
Think Darragh will go up from three.
Over the course off the two games against us, I would have to say Bosco were the best team out of the teams in the bottom three. Though having witnessed them in the Junior final, that opinion wouldn't be so convincing. Really tight one to call but there will be a few decent teams in the bottom division next year, as opposed to as the norm with one team dominating.
Any other posters have opinions on these or other divisional play offs? As without first hand knowledge of others divisons, can't really comment

thewobbler

Saval have better individuals than Downpatrick. But Hoops are very well organised, are physically strong and tackle very well. I'd think saval will win by the minimum in a low scoring encounter with a dozen yellow cards.

DownFanatic

This new league system has really shook up a lot of teams. Castlewellan will be playing second grade football for the first time in my memory while one of the other household names (Liatroim/Longstone) in Division 1 will be plying their trade down there next year as well.

Atticall's 12/13 year stint in the top two Divisions is now over while the likelihood that Kilclief will be making the drop is also a possibility. Yet again, another team who must have been playing in the second division for at least the past 12 years. It also must be unthinkable for some in the Shamrocks setup that they could be playing in the third tier next year.

Two big city teams with potent underage structures in the form of Bredagh and Bosco are also in grave danger of dropping to Division 4.

Bearly on loose

Now that the dust has settled on the Down championship I'd just like till congratulate Umpire on successfully organising the prediction league especially considering it was within such a short period of time....just wish I'd placed a bet on any of my 34 correct answers!!

On the play-off issue, I'm looking forward to the meeting of Liatroim and Longstone this Saturday.  Both teams are formidable on their day with the stone in particular able to play fast flowing and high scoring football.  The vast surface of Saval should suit them, however Ambrose will be a major loss and they will need the Poland's, Doran's and Ryan Kelly to produce big games.  Liatroim have been in this position many times over the last few years and have survived on every occasion.  The wet ball will suit them and in Aidan O'Prey have one of the best target men/score getters in down football. Miceal McCartan has been very impressive for them and they are generally tight at the back.  It really is a very tough one to call and they have played each other on many occasions over the last three years with neither team assuming any real superiority. I wouldn't be surprised if extra time was required, although lets hope that unlike in Clonduff park last year after Liatroim and Saval that the ref does play it this year!

In division 2 Downpatrick and Saval should also be tight.  They always seem to produce low scoring encounters with little to separate them. Both teams are physically very big though Downpatrick could have the slight edge.  The midfield battle will be key as both teams have forwards capable of scoring heavily with a plentiful supply of ball.  like the wobbler I feel this could be a game littered with fouls and would not be surprised if either team finished the game with less than the full compliment of players. 

Shamrocks and Kilcleif have found themselves at the wrong end of the league table for the last couple of years.  Both teams have quality players but I just think Kilclief have the ability to win this game as they may deal with the pressure better.  Although having said that Shamrocks put in a great run to stay up in this division last year against the odds.  Also I think it would be a shame if no team from the city of Newry were in either of the top two divisions of down club football.

Darragh cross should beat Drumgath in division three as I think they have the better all round team.  However Drumgath have some great individual talents and on their day can beat anyone in this division!

meatsy86

Quote from: Bearly on loose on October 29, 2010, 01:03:15 PM
Now that the dust has settled on the Down championship I'd just like till congratulate Umpire on successfully organising the prediction league especially considering it was within such a short period of time....just wish I'd placed a bet on any of my 34 correct answers!!

On the play-off issue, I'm looking forward to the meeting of Liatroim and Longstone this Saturday.  Both teams are formidable on their day with the stone in particular able to play fast flowing and high scoring football.  The vast surface of Saval should suit them, however Ambrose will be a major loss and they will need the Poland's, Doran's and Ryan Kelly to produce big games.  Liatroim have been in this position many times over the last few years and have survived on every occasion.  The wet ball will suit them and in Aidan O'Prey have one of the best target men/score getters in down football. Miceal McCartan has been very impressive for them and they are generally tight at the back.  It really is a very tough one to call and they have played each other on many occasions over the last three years with neither team assuming any real superiority. I wouldn't be surprised if extra time was required, although lets hope that unlike in Clonduff park last year after Liatroim and Saval that the ref does play it this year!

In division 2 Downpatrick and Saval should also be tight.  They always seem to produce low scoring encounters with little to separate them. Both teams are physically very big though Downpatrick could have the slight edge.  The midfield battle will be key as both teams have forwards capable of scoring heavily with a plentiful supply of ball.  like the wobbler I feel this could be a game littered with fouls and would not be surprised if either team finished the game with less than the full compliment of players. 

Shamrocks and Kilcleif have found themselves at the wrong end of the league table for the last couple of years.  Both teams have quality players but I just think Kilclief have the ability to win this game as they may deal with the pressure better.  Although having said that Shamrocks put in a great run to stay up in this division last year against the odds.  Also I think it would be a shame if no team from the city of Newry were in either of the top two divisions of down club football.

Darragh cross should beat Drumgath in division three as I think they have the better all round team.  However Drumgath have some great individual talents and on their day can beat anyone in this division!
Well said bearly,i tend to agree with your views on the above mentioned fixtures, has the recipe for a great game of weekend football not to mention the titanic tussle in cross!! I feel though that for Downpatrick to win they will need to stop not only Daniel Hughes but also Saval's goal machine Fergal McConville who scored a Hat-trick(should've been four but for some dodgy umpiring) last friday night against Ballymartin! The man is simply on fire!!

Tomorrow is another day

Ballyholland are a Newry team and will be in Division 1! So less of this no Newry City team in the top 2!

Have to say Shane Mulholland has done a fantastic job with the team this year to be the standout team in Div 2.

They narrowly but deservedly lost a Div 2 final last year to the Kingdom who had 2 All Stars in their team (as we know now!) but to lift the team and achieve more this year is a tremendous achievement. Shane could be a future Down manager???

Bearly on loose

Quote from: Tomorrow is another day on October 29, 2010, 07:20:29 PM
Ballyholland are a Newry team and will be in Division 1! So less of this no Newry City team in the top 2!

Have to say Shane Mulholland has done a fantastic job with the team this year to be the standout team in Div 2.

They narrowly but deservedly lost a Div 2 final last year to the Kingdom who had 2 All Stars in their team (as we know now!) but to lift the team and achieve more this year is a tremendous achievement. Shane could be a future Down manager???

Sorry for any offence caused but I have never regarded Ballyholland as a Newry team.  Not sure if Ballyholland people regard themselves as a Newry team either, but would be interested in finding out.

Must agree with your second statement however, Shane has done a fantastic job and they fully merit promotion! 

5 Sams

Quote from: Bearly on loose on October 29, 2010, 08:57:20 PM

Sorry for any offence caused but I have never regarded Ballyholland as a Newry team.  Not sure if Ballyholland people regard themselves as a Newry team either, but would be interested in finding out.

Must agree with your second statement however, Shane has done a fantastic job and they fully merit promotion!

As a fellow club man I would like to put on record that what Shane has achieved this year has been simply outstanding...he was the General but he had two very capable Lieutenants in Puddy Rushe and Kieran Hartigan. I have seen at first hand the effort these lads have put in all year (as have all the players and various other club personnel like the Wobbler and Boo Murtagh). Our club are very lucky to have this level of expertise available to us....and all three are dyed in the wool Harps. As for a "Newry" team...technically we are but we consider ourselves a country team....as for a future Down Manager??? If he keeps producing the goods like this we'll get it tough to hold on to him....but....he's still a Harp.
The Aristocrat Years

Leo

Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 29, 2010, 10:07:01 PM
Quote from: Bearly on loose on October 29, 2010, 08:57:20 PM

As a fellow club man I would like to put on record that what Shane has achieved this year has been simply outstanding...he was the General but he had two very capable Lieutenants in Puddy Rushe and Kieran Hartigan. I have seen at first hand the effort these lads have put in all year (as have all the players and various other club personnel like the Wobbler and Boo Murtagh). Our club are very lucky to have this level of expertise available to us....and all three are dyed in the wool Harps. As for a "Newry" team...technically we are but we consider ourselves a country team....as for a future Down Manager??? If he keeps producing the goods like this we'll get it tough to hold on to him....but....he's still a Harp.

So much of what you say irs right and yet so much wrong.....
Ballyholland are really the counytry man's Shamrocks - massive catchment, massive under achievement
Huge talent at their disposal yet struggling to be creditable at this level
Shane has probably curtailed some of the mad cap excesses of past teams but there is so much natural football ability in the team that to think of them as anything other thean Div 1 is silly ..... yet, like Shamrocks, you have to ask just how together is this club really??
Fierce tame altogether

thewobbler

On The Side

What exactley do you know about what goes on inside with this group of Ballyholland players Leo? Sweeping statement or what? Think to get promoted out of a tight 2nd div. takes a bit of hard work and a big amount of togetherness!! ???