Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

^

What has Poland to do to get some credit.

Rooney is well worth his place too.

umpire

Predictions League update
Last night's games
IFC quarter-final
Carryduff 0.10 Glenn 0.8
SFC quarter-final
Burren 0.14 Ballyholland

1   24   Bearly on loose
2   22   Johnnie99
3   21   ApresMatch
4   21   behind the wire
5   21   cokers
6   21   conormac
7   21   Dubh driocht
8   21   John Martin
9   21   Maldini
10   21   Mid Down Gael
11   21   True Blue
12   20   An Cloch Scoilte
13   20   general
14   20   Green + Gold
15   20   knockitdown
16   20   razor
17   20   Square Ball
18   20   T O Hare
19   20   westdowngael
20   19   batman
21   19   BRIDGE LAD
22   19   CHB1
23   19   dodgy umpire
24   19   Niall Quinn
25   19   No hoper
26   19   No1
27   18   bredaghgael88
28   18   Brick Tamlin
29   18   DaUmpire
30   18   DownFanatic
31   18   eyeswideopen
32   18   Out In Front
33   18   souljaboy
34   18   TheClutch
35   18   umpire
36   17   5 Sams
37   17   Cloneman
38   17   down6061689194
39   17   dundrumite
40   17   Hedgehunter
41   17   Lecale2
42   17   Marsbarkid
43   17   meatsy86
44   17   Mourne Rover
45   17   supersub
46   17   western exile
47   16   amallon
48   16   Maiden1
49   16   Minus15
50   16   RGU08
51   15   Bacon
52   15   DaddyLongLegs
53   15   Idontbelieveit
54   15   sabhalphadrig
55   15   thewobbler
56   14   angermanagement
57   14   catch the high ball
58   14   mournerambler
59   14   NedFlanders
60   14   off the laces
61   14   Superstar
62   14   Trap 2
63   14   When We Win
64   13   dunroma
65   13   fitzroyalty
66   13   Long Ball
67   12   goldenyears

downjim

Ballyholland got off to a great start last start but could not maintain their momentum. I felt that Burren were excellent in the second half and they will take some stopping!! Though their county players were very poor One point though, I was over at the far side behind the goals in the coldest pitch in Ireland and it was disappointing to see some Mayobridge stalwarts openly cheering for Ballyholland :(

redandblackareback

The only down point for me last night was the venue for watching a game, great pitch, lovely lights but honestly not a great venue for supporters.  I was in newcastle tues night and I have to say the same, terrible venue for a game! There is another game in newcastle tonight and a double header on sunday in burren another terrible venue to watch a game! Does the county board have to share these games out around the various grounds? What is wrong with clonduff or even newry?

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 02, 2010, 12:21:15 AM
Having watched the tape of the AI final the following night when very few of us had calmed down, I sat through it again tonight. There's no doubt that the best team won on the day, but we have also lost plenty of championship matches we deserved to win over recent years and a little bit of cuteness might still have produced the sixth Sam. We could also have lost more decisively in the end, and we really need to thank our players and management for an outstanding season overall.

There were just a few moments on the re-run which will probably stay with us all for some time to come. The McVeigh/ McCartan/McVeigh intervention to prevent a disastrous first minute goal was from the top drawer, and was the best single piece of defending from Down since the Collins penalty save with DJ sliding in for the rebound in 1994.

Having survived that, we should have been much further in front at the break. Benny tried a couple of long-range efforts when we could have retained possession and Danny Hughes, in an otherwise excellent display, was involved in a couple of big incidents. There was one run when he took a knock to the head, clearly expected a free and went ahead with a shot which drifted wide from a fairly straightforward position. The other run, at a time when he was destroying Cork, put him through for a fisted point, when he might have found John Clarke just inside him or Benny at the far post. Taking the point was probably the right option but a goal at that stage would have left Cork with a mountain to climb. McComiskey's first point was also tremendous, but Benny had made a brilliant run inside without being spotted.

At 7-2 for us, there was a harsh free against Garvey and Rooney tapped the ball away after the whistle. The kick was brought forward by the ref from an almost impossible distance to a very promising spot, and Goulding duly converted. If we had been five or six up at half time, which was strongly on the cards, it would have been a very different match.

We were swimming against the tide after the break, and every substitution they made strengthened them while none of those on our side really worked. The McComiskey case has been much discussed and still makes very little sense, but throwing Brannigan on in and around a struggling midfield was arguably even more puzzling. Switching big Dan would have been a risk, but Colgan,while he may lack pace, had the strength and the know-how to make a difference. There were also a number of crucial slips by our players while Cork always managed to keep their feet when the rain came down.

However, Cork could probably cite plenty of bad misses and wrong options as well and their Croke Park experience gained over five or six seasons - as opposed to a matter of months with us - was crucial in the final quarter.

Anyway, we have a young squad which we can reasonably expect to improve in 2011. Ambrose must be due better luck, assuming he goes ahead with the surgery, and he might just be getting back to full fitness for the closing stages of the league. Liam Doyle is more of a long shot, but he would be a tremendous asset if he gets a change of fortune.

Paul Murphy is more than capable of getting back in the starting 15, while Darren O'Hagan is a fantastic prospect at 19. Aidan Carr and Luke Howard also have the required quality, and there is potentially more overall competition for places at the back than has existed for decades.

Of course, other injuries, loss of form, discipline and the wrong draws in the USC and the qualifiers could be factors, but the bottom line is that we are knocking on the door at long last. We can only be proud of the people who have made it all possible.

I have to agree also with you MR. I watched the game myself last weekend again and to be honest I felt much more depressed having done so. When I trudged out of Croker after the game on the 19th of Sept I had already accepted that Cork were the better team and deserved Sam, i was also massively satisfied and proud of what the management and players had done throughout the year - the long drive home seemed less miserable than that of the journey home from wicklow last year. Down bought class both on and off the field to this years championship.

However having watched it again, i realised that Down were so much closer and this really was one that got away. Sure Cork could have won by more but Down could also have built up a much bigger lead. Up until the 47th minute or so Cork were still chasing the game. The tide turned pretty much for the reasons mentioned by Mourne Rover and wee bit of luck went against Down at vital times.

With having the benefit of watching the reply and the wonder that is hindsight, I would have took John Clarke off at H/T and replaced him with Colgan to sit in front of the full back line. We had nobody who could stop Cork winning ball at midfield once they had momentum, but colgan may have cut off the supply into the full forward line and would have been another presence to help stop the runs of Kelly, Kerrigan and  Sheehan.

But the then again, I know nothing about management and throughout the Qualifiers the substitutions by the management were excellent.

T O Hare

Quote from: redandblackareback on October 02, 2010, 12:17:35 PM
The only down point for me last night was the venue for watching a game, great pitch, lovely lights but honestly not a great venue for supporters.  I was in newcastle tues night and I have to say the same, terrible venue for a game! There is another game in newcastle tonight and a double header on sunday in burren another terrible venue to watch a game! Does the county board have to share these games out around the various grounds? What is wrong with clonduff or even newry?

Newry has mobile huts for changing rooms!! The bridge pitch is only our training pitch !! Next year will be different  :D
Quote from: downjim on October 02, 2010, 11:25:55 AM
Ballyholland got off to a great start last start but could not maintain their momentum. I felt that Burren were excellent in the second half and they will take some stopping!! Though their county players were very poor One point though, I was over at the far side behind the goals in the coldest pitch in Ireland and it was disappointing to see some Mayobridge stalwarts openly cheering for Ballyholland :(

What have you against the bridge! Obviously you dont know the rivalry between the two clubs because i dont think their will be too many Burren fans cheering us on later. If they are they arent real Burren supporters ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: bcarrier on October 02, 2010, 09:24:56 AM
^

What has Poland to do to get some credit.

Rooney is well worth his place too.

Yor dead right there.

Poland and McComiskey were outstanding in the all Ireland Final. Rooney was'nt far behind, he completely marked Pearse O'Neill out of the game.

When we got to Croke pk Poland scored well and kicked some great frees at crucial times (is that Maginns job too?).

The contributions from the bench particularly of Maginn, Fitzpatrick and Murtagh this year were vital to Downs success and highlights the need for a strong panel in order to compete with the best. Down now have this and will need everyone on form for the trips to Cork, Kerry, Mayo and Dublin next year. I don't intend taking my flags down anytime soon!

cloneman

Annaclone 0-11 Darragh Cross 1-6

RGU08

On the final, having heard James talk about the mix up of the subs in the 2nd half and watching both the 1/4 and 1/2 finals it seemed that the management had a strict plan in terms of who was coming of the bench, who was being replaced and at what time these substitutions were going to happen. It felt that in the final no matter who was playing well or poorly the decisions were made before the game and it didnt leave much room for any variation or reaction to certain situations like moving Dan to midfield midway through the 2nd half, or taking off McComisky in the 2nd half

bridge fan

longstone winning by a point half time

knockitdown

Anyone got match reports for carryduff v Glenn and annaclove v D cross?

supersub

Rostrevor beat warrenpoint in reserve final replay!

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

twice is nice

Quote from: T O Hare on October 02, 2010, 03:23:32 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on October 02, 2010, 12:17:35 PM

Newry has mobile huts for changing rooms!! The bridge pitch is only our training pitch !! Next year will be different  :D
Quote from: downjim on October 02, 2010, 11:25:55 AM

What have you against the bridge! Obviously you dont know the rivalry between the two clubs because i dont think their will be too many Burren fans cheering us on later. If they are they arent real Burren supporters ;)
Nothing wrong with bit o friendly rivalry eh, as long as stays on field!! as 4 some of the other comments on this, surley
ur havin joke!!!??? Ballyholland lad got line for slidin n with knee while mc kernan on ground and hitting him with closed fist in the ribs, seen it clerarly meself!!! END OF!!!

Decky rooney is in same boat as poland, doesnt get credit they deserve! He strong n steady, rarely does his man score much and can float good ball into benny n co. THINK TRIP TO SPECSAVERS IS NEEDED 4 SOME OF YA'S!!!

Mid Down Gael

Mayobridge 1-11 Longstone 0-12

The Bridge will be relieved to get through and can be very thankful for the impressive Ryan Bradys haul of 1-3.
Longstone can feel very aggreived at referee Ciaran Brannigan who had a big say in this result. He Gave them very little and certain calls against the reds where baffling where as the bridge got their frees much easier.
Mark Poland, Mark Doran and young Conor Doran where superb for the stone while Brady, Garvey, Shane OHare, Cathal Magee and Kieth Quinn played well for Mayobridge IMO.