J.McGovern
A.Carr
R.Sexton
D.Hughes
P.Downey
B.Coulter

Subs not named.

Lecale2

They'll hardly play as lined out - will they?

snatter

QuoteNot a single newry man

nope. There's  not a single Downpatrick or Newcastle man either.
Says more about Down GAA's lack of presence in the larger towns than anything else.

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 10, 2007, 06:13:47 AM
Does it matter that there isnt a single Newry man on the minor team

Obviously, my wonder is that a town like newry with such a proud history of producing down footballers can't produce a county minor between their 4 (?) clubs

thewobbler

I wouldn't get too up upset about Newry not having a minor player, Uladh, and it's hardly something new -  I'd say it's happened at least 5 times in the last decade.

I can only speak for my own club and say that during the past few years we've only had one lad who was really hard done by, Paddy McAnulty in 2005 - but as Down went on win the AI that year, it's not like we can argue. The way a couple of youngsters have shaped up this season though, under-21 call-ups next year aren't out of the equation.

But, for as long as I can remember, minor and under-21 squads in our county very rarely reflect the best of what's out there. Players who were outstanding at under-14, if only because they happened to be three times the size of anyone else, are kept on board because they've got a name around the county, while springers, those lads who come out of nowhere at 16 and are senior players at 17, are often ignored. Having a father who played for the county means you will definitely be involved, no matter your ability. Clubs like Clonduff, Rostrevor, and Burren will always have representatives, deserving or not.

Then you get a player like Connaire Harrison, a one man scoring machine for Glassdrumman in Division II for the past two seasons, who can't get a look in, while the squad has a handful of lads who will never play senior football.

Hardstation - I think Ryan Boyle is a brother of John. He's definitely got a bit of class about him, and a good engine to get up and down. He was impressive against us in the Division II play-offs last season.

behind the wire

funny you should say that wobbler about connairre harrison, i played against him last year and thought he was a very good player. i took it he must have been overage this year and thats why he wasnt selected. dont know what they be thinking at times. we have a lad who is still a minor playing center half back for us in division 2 but didnt get a look in. yet they had a lad from our club training with them that would be lucky to get a game for our reserves, an thats saying something.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

johnneycool

Quote from: behind the wire on May 10, 2007, 11:34:05 AM
funny you should say that wobbler about connairre harrison, i played against him last year and thought he was a very good player. i took it he must have been overage this year and thats why he wasnt selected. dont know what they be thinking at times. we have a lad who is still a minor playing center half back for us in division 2 but didnt get a look in. yet they had a lad from our club training with them that would be lucky to get a game for our reserves, an thats saying something.

I once got talking to a guy about minor football in Down and he reckoned there was too much emphasis but on the McRory cup and college players to the detriment of the then vocational schools and lads maybe out working from the age of 16 up who were playing regular adult club football and seemed to be not 'in the know' as he put it. I don't know if he had his own misconceptions or agenda but what is the feeling you lads who are closer to the ground on this issue.

I can only speak for the Ulster colleges hurling allstars but some of the lads who've won them in the past aren't worth the full of my arse in warm snow so I never really give them much value or credance. Ditto the Ulster writers awards.

Fíor Gael

'aren't worth the full of my arse in warm snow'

Never heard that expression before, must be an Ards thing!!! Pure poetry.

goldenyears

shocking senior team lads, i cant believe how bad it is.....i hope i am proved so fkn wrong, but god i am travelling with no faith watsoever in this team.....

downredblack

GY , Shocking is a bit strong ? Cant be too many surprises in the team ,  I presume Cole and Walsh aren't fit . Who would you have in that is not there ?

behind the wire

that would be my take on it too johnnycool, but only to a certain extent. sometimes the argument about macrory cup etc is used by people who are just annoyed that they (or their sons) didnt get selected for the panel.
i definitely think that fellas who are out working dont get as good a chance as lads still at school. as i was saying earlier the lad playing chb for us is only 17 but he is out working as a spark. the lad that did get called up, although not as good, goes to the college.

then again this argument has been going round for years yet we have had reasonable success in the minors.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

goldenyears

Maybe my initial comment should have been more measured, but I am unnerved by this selection. honestly i cant believe it....i dont want to go into individuals cos that isnt fair at all, but really i dont hold much hope.

I have just looked at the Cavan team, and yeah if we can get the ball into Benny & Danny then we have a chance, but I am very worried about Cavan's forward line - it looks very strong.

Is Micky still best gk in Down?? Has Declan Rooney ever played at 3 (unless he moves to 6 from the start and Grant moves back - that has to be the plan?) I would have money to get onto Jason O'Reilly for first goal or at least to score a goal in 70 mins, but I think overall we will struggle big time from 2-4.

Midfield - we always struggle against Dermot, depends just how fit he is, is he carrying injuries? at full tilt we dont have a midfielder to match him.....

half forward line has some doubts, but I hope they sail through. 6 debutants by my account? thats tough going....

Brick Tamlin

Disaster of a team if you ask me.

For starters Rooney aint the Full Back we need, he was as consistent as can be throughout the league at no 6 and played the anchoring role really well, he should have been kept there. Grant is not match fit as far as i can see and my only fear is him getting roasted or tiring very quickly or both.

Ronan Murtagh is too good a forward and not designed for defensive duties and should be up front leading the attack with Danny, with both running like f**k at the cavan defence at every opportunity.
Murphy or Henry should be in wing back in Ronans absence to stick to defensive duties and add a bit more energy or bite and die on the scraps around the middle, either have shown to be capable enough to do this.

Jackie should have been maybe shaded to midfield place by Mc Crickard, solely because Collie can anchor the midfield alot better while Dan can forage forward a bit more, i dont trust Jackie to keep his cool for full match and to definitely get caught up in some sort of shite in the game picking up a booking for sure. Also he is inclined to go walkies sometimes, so for me mc crickard is the more solid reliable option.

The half forward line for me is the biggest joke. Apart from sexton who has been in great form, the other two for me should be picking splinters from their arse on the bench, to put it simply, their work rate is nowhere near good enough, their tempermant isnt the greatest and they dont get their hands on enough dirty ball and the physicality of the whole line leaves alot to be desired. I Know options are limited on the bench but id near say that both Mc Govern & Carr have had more game time or on-field minutes this season than any other panel members - this line just doesnt inspire me at all, although i hope im wrong and il be the first to admit it if so.