Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavesofTORRES

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 08:54:34 PM
Quote from: wavesofTORRES on September 12, 2010, 08:45:06 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 12, 2010, 05:42:35 PM
Setting aside the ticket debate, I have to give credit to the Down County Board and in particular Seamus Walsh and Sean Og.In the past I have been critical of certain decisions but I have to take my hat off to all the office holders and indeed Club Down.To host a very successful congress, organise excellent and fitting tributes to the 1960 team and to date make very impressive preparations for the football final in the same year is no mean feat.I know the Hurling people might suggest it is the poor relation but I don't believe  the DCB or these men in particular could do much more with what we have. Add in the best organised Scor in the 32 counties, competitive and regular leagues at all levels, big improvements in refereeing standards and it's clear we are well served by these volunteers.I know Sean Og is paid but he must put in 80 plus hours a week. Seamus Walsh is a gentleman ;gets on with the job and doesn't seek the spotlight - fair play to Dundrum for honouring him alongside Paul Mc Comiskey with a first class display in the village

Agree 100% with everything you say Dubh Driocht esp about Seamus Walsh...a gentleman of the highest order and always very accommodating...one of our better Cathaoirleachs. Sean Og has the most demanding job in Ireland at the minute but I have had cause to ring him re tickets for the semi and qtr finals and his response was always "sure I'll bring them home for you"....as if he hadnt enough to do!! Seems as if his aim for the qtr and semi finals was to get as many Down people as possible in Croke Park. He'll deserve some holiday come the end of September....I think all around the Co Board have done a fine job so far....one special mention however Feargal McCormack and his company seem to be behind a lot of stuff in arranging events etc...a hell of a resource to have.
That explains where the £12.50 levy on the tickets is going to.

Knowing McCormack and his support of the GAA in Down over the years you're barking up the wrong tree there. Your username says it all about you ye boy ye.
I may know more than you think re Co.Board set up etc. so dont make assumptions my friend.McCormick is a gael like so many but hes also a professional, so wise up. What a user name says about anyone god only knows. Far be it  from me to assume that yours indicates a gullible streak ye boy ye.

5 Sams

[/quote]I may know more than you think re Co.Board set up etc. so dont make assumptions my friend.McCormick is a gael like so many but hes also a professional, so wise up. What a user name says about anyone god only knows. Far be it  from me to assume that yours indicates a gullible streak ye boy ye.
[/quote]

Is it as hard to get a ticket in Anfield as it is for Croke Park??  By the way you've lost me with the gullible streak comment :-\ Obviously not much crack on Hogan Stand this weather :)
The Aristocrat Years

wavesofTORRES

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 09:39:03 PM

I may know more than you think re Co.Board set up etc. so dont make assumptions my friend.McCormick is a gael like so many but hes also a professional, so wise up. What a user name says about anyone god only knows. Far be it  from me to assume that yours indicates a gullible streak ye boy ye.
[/quote]

Is it as hard to get a ticket in Anfield as it is for Croke Park
??  By the way you've lost me with the gullible streak comment :-\ Obviously not much crack on Hogan Stand this weather :)
[/quot ;D Comeback of all time.  ;D All services to CB are now gratis I take it.

Any craic

Bredagh v Newry Shamrocks today in the Down IHC Final - http://vimeo.com/14910139

johnneycool

Quote from: Square Ball on September 12, 2010, 07:08:28 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 12, 2010, 06:32:53 PM
Hurling Results:

IHC Final
Bredagh 2-15 2-10 Shamrocks

JHC Final
Clonduff 1-13 1-11 Ballyvarley

2 very tight games with the better team winning in both. I'm away for a pint to celebrate our first intermediate title!

me too, an hes buying  :)

There won't be a cow milked in south Belfast till friday.

Welcome to senior hurling in 2011 but no doubt you will be preparing for a good go at the Ulster intermediate club championship any why not.

knockitdown

Quote from: wavesofTORRES on September 12, 2010, 08:45:06 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 12, 2010, 08:34:41 PM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on September 12, 2010, 05:42:35 PM
Setting aside the ticket debate, I have to give credit to the Down County Board and in particular Seamus Walsh and Sean Og.In the past I have been critical of certain decisions but I have to take my hat off to all the office holders and indeed Club Down.To host a very successful congress, organise excellent and fitting tributes to the 1960 team and to date make very impressive preparations for the football final in the same year is no mean feat.I know the Hurling people might suggest it is the poor relation but I don't believe  the DCB or these men in particular could do much more with what we have. Add in the best organised Scor in the 32 counties, competitive and regular leagues at all levels, big improvements in refereeing standards and it's clear we are well served by these volunteers.I know Sean Og is paid but he must put in 80 plus hours a week. Seamus Walsh is a gentleman ;gets on with the job and doesn't seek the spotlight - fair play to Dundrum for honouring him alongside Paul Mc Comiskey with a first class display in the village

Agree 100% with everything you say Dubh Driocht esp about Seamus Walsh...a gentleman of the highest order and always very accommodating...one of our better Cathaoirleachs. Sean Og has the most demanding job in Ireland at the minute but I have had cause to ring him re tickets for the semi and qtr finals and his response was always "sure I'll bring them home for you"....as if he hadnt enough to do!! Seems as if his aim for the qtr and semi finals was to get as many Down people as possible in Croke Park. He'll deserve some holiday come the end of September....I think all around the Co Board have done a fine job so far....one special mention however Feargal McCormack and his company seem to be behind a lot of stuff in arranging events etc...a hell of a resource to have.
That explains where the £12.50 levy on the tickets is going to.

Ridiculous comment. You obviously know nothing about this man

dundrumite

Quote from: johnneycool on September 13, 2010, 09:33:25 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on September 12, 2010, 07:08:28 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on September 12, 2010, 06:32:53 PM
Hurling Results:

IHC Final
Bredagh 2-15 2-10 Shamrocks

JHC Final
Clonduff 1-13 1-11 Ballyvarley

2 very tight games with the better team winning in both. I'm away for a pint to celebrate our first intermediate title!

me too, an hes buying  :)

There won't be a cow milked in south Belfast till friday.
Welcome to senior hurling in 2011 but no doubt you will be preparing for a good go at the Ulster intermediate club championship any why not.

I'd say All Ireland tickets are easier come by than cows in South Belfast.
Not a great hurling follower to be honest but love to see new clubs emerge in sport no matter what context. Well done

umpire

Predictions league
First Rounds SFC, IFC and JFC (19 games)
Quarter finals SFC. IFC and JFC (12 games)
Semi finals SFC, IFC and JFC (6 games)
Finals SFC. IFC, JFC, PRFC, RFC and MFC. (6 games)
Total of 43 games.

This Friday MFC final.
its not easy this year to organise this event due Down successful run in championship.
I wish Down every success in Final against Cork. Great credit goes to Management and players.

Your prediction
MFC final
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

bredaghgael86

johnneycool

Quote from: MCMLX on September 12, 2010, 07:48:30 PM
Ballygalget beat Portaferry by a point.

In all fairness it wasn't a game we remotely deserved to win as we were shite and aimlessy shite with it.

The Ports were quicker to the ball and TBH were pulling away with an 8 point lead 5 to 10 minutes into the second half until their corner back got a straight red for an off the ball incident which resulted in an free for all.

Deccy Magee didn't see it as the ball was up the other end of the pitch but after consulting with his own umpires dished out a red for the Ports lad and a yellow for our lad who was lying on the deck. Turns out the two were digging each other with the putts of the hurl when the Port lad took a full swipe at the back of wee Danny.
That seemed to spur our lads on and the Ports got very badly disorganised and conceded a goal from a 21 yard free shortly after it. Magic hit it like a bullet and then we were able to get a few more points to close the gap but Dule was still rattling over scores and a very well taken goal up our end to keep the gap.
We then got a scrappy goal which Keating failed to clear when he should and that got us down to two. Some nice long range points from Eoin and Stevie Clarke drew us level but the Ports hit some awful wides which would have taken them in front again. Pady rat came on and scored the winner in injury time for a very undeserved win.
The Ports had the two best players on the field in Dule and Ruairi McGrattan and were playing far and away the better hurling but even though a lot of our lads were poor we kept going until the end.

From our POV we need to improve drastically to have any chance in the final. Our touch and striking was very poor with a lot of dropped balls and mishits and getting hooked and blocked too easily but we've another two weeks to work on that thankfully.

dodgy umpire

The Boys in Red and Black are back

An Cloch Scoilte

Minor Finals A & B have been postponed until after the All-Ireland Final.

Banana Man

Will Bredagh be playing in the senior championhip next year now that they have won the intermediate?

Lecale2

Yes we will. We aren't close to senior level yet but a year playing in a higher division in Antrim will help to bring our younger lads on.its only fair that the winner moves up for at least one year.

Ballybredagh

Bredagh will be playing in the SHC next year. It will take us a few years to become competitive at this level, but we'll give it a lash and will definitely field in the SHC in 2011. That has been our main focus since we reformed at junior level 6 years ago. We want to mix it with the Ards teams and will do, hopefully in the not to distant future.