Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

As of last night the round of Antrim league fixtures for sunday are still going ahead, Seamus Walsh couldn't get the Antrim fixtures deferred so that'll have an adverse affect on the Down seniors who are to play Dublin in Ballela on sunday. At this point in time I really can't see that game going ahead.

downredblack

From Hogan Stand

County footballers preparing for Cavan clash
02 May 2007

The Down senior footballers are busily preparing for their Ulster SFC clash with Cavan in Kingspan/Breffni Park, Cavan on Sunday, 13th of May.

Last weekend they played a SF challenge game with Louth to mark the official opening of the magnificent new Saval pitch and complex. The final score of the game was 4-16 to 1-11 in favour of the Mourne side.

Down fielded their strongest side of the season, and into the bargain won their first football game of the year. They dominated the game from start to finish with Dan Gordon in tremendous form in the midfield sector, while the defence as a unit were very solid and gave the Louth forwards very little room to get scores.

In attack, Benny Coulter was back to his inspirational best in the full-forward berth, while his best support came from Daniel Hughes who scored two goals and Drumgath clubman Packie Downey who impressed throughout the game.

Down were always in command in this game and led at the interval by 2-9 to 0-4 with their goals coming from Hughes and Coulter. They continued to press forward in the second-half playing some great attacking football which the Louth side couldn't compete with.

behind the wire

i see someone from ballyholland having an awful go at burren about transfers over on the hoganstand site. was that you wobbler?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

thewobbler

Nah it wasn't. I tend to attach my name to anything I write.

If truth be told, Burren's resurgence doesn't owe that much to the McCartans, but to their underage set-up instead. They're still some way behind the Bridge, for all that.

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 02, 2007, 10:01:22 AM
As of last night the round of Antrim league fixtures for sunday are still going ahead, Seamus Walsh couldn't get the Antrim fixtures deferred so that'll have an adverse affect on the Down seniors who are to play Dublin in Ballela on sunday. At this point in time I really can't see that game going ahead.
That's very tough on Ballela. They've been planning for this event for 2 years and had 6th May in the master fixtures list agreed by Down County Board. Hard to see what else they could do. The first draft of the Antrim fixtures didn't clash but they were changed. It would be a farce putting out a junior team to take on Dublin seniors.

Cloc Mor

QuoteAnyone know which Point players fell out with each other on the field Friday night?

One of them was Eddie O'Hare who was eventually sent off for kicking.  I also heard that an An Riocht player was sent off for pushing/bumping into a referee - will be interesting what the Co. Board do about this.

ITOB

Any truth that Bight got a hammering from  Bredagh tonite?  Where does that leave Saul?

Bacon

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 02, 2007, 05:05:35 PM
That's very tough on Ballela. They've been planning for this event for 2 years and had 6th May in the master fixtures list agreed by Down County Board. Hard to see what else they could do. The first draft of the Antrim fixtures didn't clash but they were changed. It would be a farce putting out a junior team to take on Dublin seniors.
If this is true, it's a disgrace and a real slap in the face to Ballela. It will be very hard to get anything else organised at this late stage. I understand the Antrim fixtures were changed to faciliate North Antrim clubs who like to play senior and reserve hurling as a double header on Sunday afternoons.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on May 03, 2007, 08:02:58 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on May 02, 2007, 05:05:35 PM
If this is true, it's a disgrace and a real slap in the face to Ballela. It will be very hard to get anything else organised at this late stage. I understand the Antrim fixtures were changed to faciliate North Antrim clubs who like to play senior and reserve hurling as a double header on Sunday afternoons.

In fairness to the Antrim fixtures secretary he was only informed about the Down/Dublin game on monday night past. The fact the the sunday was allegedly free up until a month ago was just down to good fortune more so than planning as the Down county board had set it aside on their masters fixture list but hadn't informed Antrim of their intentions until very recently.
It's all a bit messy and Ballela deserve better.

Square Ball

Quote from: ITOB on May 02, 2007, 11:02:08 PM
Any truth that Bight got a hammering from  Bredagh tonite?  Where does that leave Saul?

dont think it was a hammering, 5 points in it at the end I think
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

MadMick007

The arrangement of the Down V Dublin game for the opening of Ballela's new ground has been some what of a fiasco which has been soley caused by Down County Board. Down County Board had only confirmed with Antrim County Board beginnig of this week that they wanted to keep the weekend free. There was plenty of talk around this match but from Down. These Antrim fixtures have been published for Months and it seems hard to believe Down County board have only tried to re-arrange these fixyures since Sunday. Antrim have implemented a strong policy this year of ensuring all fixtures are played and hence they have not agreed to change these fixtures at such short notice. The latest I have heard is that the Antrim league fixtures will go ahead with the Senior game being played first, 1.30 and then the county players will rush to get the ferry to be in Ballela for a 6.00pm throw in between Down and Dublin. With Ulster league games scheduled for Saturday it will mean county players will play three matches in 2 days. I believe Ballela need some answers!!  :-[

stpauls

Quote from: Square Ball on May 03, 2007, 09:08:58 AM
Quote from: ITOB on May 02, 2007, 11:02:08 PM

dont think it was a hammering, 5 points in it at the end I think

any word on a score line SB?

Lecale2

Not a good story on Ballela.

Results from Monday/Tuesday night.

Div 1
Shamrock's 2-16 2-14 Liatroim
Portaferry 2-05 0-10 Ballygalget

Div 2
Bredagh 3-09 0-05 Warrenpoint
Castlewellan 3-10 3-15 Ballyvarley
Clonduff bt Ballycran

Minor HL
Clonduff 2-11 0-01 Kilclief
Bredagh 4-12 4-06 Liatroim
Portaferry 5-17 1-07 St Patrick's
Ballycran bt Ballygalget

lecale3

RESULTS: DIV 3 Bredagh 2-12 Bright 2-06
Minor E Down League Bredagh 2-10 Drumaness 1-10

stpauls

Quote from: lecale3 on May 03, 2007, 10:49:33 AM
RESULTS: DIV 3 Bredagh 2-12 Bright 2-06
Minor E Down League Bredagh 2-10 Drumaness 1-10

Cheers Lecale3, any relation to Lecale2?  ;)