Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleLord

Down need to really kill the game, they never seem to be able to, I hope they push on now.

EagleLord

Im so happy! 3.18 to 0.9 at the minute.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

EagleLord

I know never saw this coming atal tbh, obviously delighted though. And to think I thought out of the 2 qualifiers, Cork v Limrick, Down v Sligo, that the latter would be a better option for the tv coverage, based on the opinion that Cork would walk it and Down and Sligo would be tight...how wrong... :D

umpire

I hope Down will be playing on Sunday instead of Sat next weekend cos of big wedding in Burren.

umpire

Down 3.20 Sligo 0.10
Down have reached the GAA All-Ireland Football Senior Championship quarter-finals for the first time after dismantling Sligo on a 3-20 to 0-10 scoreline at Kingspan Breffni Park on Saturday evening.

Since the introduction of the second chance for sides defeated in their provincial championships in 2001, the Mourne Men had never managed to necklace together enough wins in the back door to reach the last eight, but there was no doubting their superiority here.

Right from the off, James McCartan's side had the edge, leaving Sligo to join Louth, Limerick and Monaghan in the group of provincial finalists unable to regroup after their defeats.

After throw-in was delayed due to crowd congestion, Down had three points on the board before Adrian Marren opened Sligo's account, and though this signalled a slight revival, with the lead down to 0-5 to 0-3 by the 18th minute, five in a row – including three from Martin Clarke – extended Down's advantage.

When Clarke's brother John found the net soon after and Paul McComiskey followed up with a point, leaving Sligo with an uphill task at the break, as they trailed by 1-10 to 0-6.

While it might have been Sligo who needed the strong start to the second half, it was Down who got it as they scored an extra 1-2, with captain Ambrose Rogers scoring 1-1, and sub Ronan Murtagh scored five points to make it 2-7 to 0-8. Late on, Murtagh added a goal of his own to leave 19 points in it at the end.

Pangurban

Football as it should be played, quick accurate footpassing out of defence, delivering quality ball to a mobile accurate forward unit. Down are clicking at just the right time in the season, and if they can maintain the level of tonights performance, and avoid kerry in the draw, there further advance is certainly possible, indeed probable

Catch the high ball

Senior Football Championship

Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Castlewellan v Bryansford
Mayobridge v Warrenpoint
An Riocht v Clonduff
Downpatrick v Kilcoo
Burren v Loughinisland
Ballymartin v Saval
Liatroim v Longstone

Intermediate Football Championship
Drumgath v Saul
Darragh Cross v Atticall
Bredagh v Tullylish
Dundrum v Carryduff
Ardglass v St Johns
Glenn v Clann na Banna
Annaclone v Shamrocks
Kilclief v Glasdrumman

Junior Football Championship
Bright v Ballykinlar
Aghaderg v St Micheals
Dromara v St John Bosco
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

13aside

congrats to Down on the great display against Sligo at Breffni Park.The decision to go man-for-man in defence worked well and much sharper in the forward line.I think Danny Hughes got MOM,his early delivery of the ball to a team-mate makes him a better player all round and helps provide more good chances for his team-mates.The team as a whole worked very hard from the first whistle and was tipified as Ambrose chased a Sligo player who had the ball thirty yards even up to the dying minutes of the game.Murtagh threw down a marker for the next outing and McKernan helped tighten up the defence with McVeigh hardly having a save all night,the little get together in the middle of the pitch before Sligo appeared for the second half was well calculated,when have we recently been able to take off players like MC and BC and still retain the momentum and desire to drive on--Great stuff lads -WELL DONE!! (any news of when/time of the draws for the quarter finals)

Dubh driocht

13 aside I'm with you but hadn't read your post until I posted on the Down Sligo thread.
The big decision was to swop Mc Kernan for Colgan- it certainly worked last night but Sligo are a footballing side. I would fancy our chances against any team who play direct football as the Sevens tradition in Down has produced players like Mark Poland, who excels in games like last night. Yet when we come up against teams who have set their focus on doing whatever it takes to win ( fair or foul), we might need to revert back to the system with Colgan central to it. Clearly Tyrone are market leaders but Cork,Meath, Kildare and to a lesser extent, Kerry, will play that game
The draw , again will be critical. We can't play Tyrone until SF so Roscommon or Meath are beatable.Kerry would be hell of a test but I have no fear.

eyeswideopen

Ballyholland v Rostrevor
Castlewellan v Bryansford
Mayobridge v Warrenpoint
An Riocht v Clonduff
Downpatrick v Kilcoo
Burren v Loughinisland
Ballymartin v Saval
Liatroim v Longstone

Intermediate Football Championship
Drumgath v Saul
Darragh Cross v Atticall
Bredagh v Tullylish
Dundrum v Carryduff
Ardglass v St Johns
Glenn v Clann na Banna
Annaclone v Shamrocks
Kilclief v Glasdrumman

Junior Football Championship
Bright v Ballykinlar
Aghaderg v St Micheals
Dromara v St John Bosco

superblues

think we can play Tyrone next thought king was super last night and murtagh must start next week our last 2 outings in croke park were not good so thats another hurdle never mind who we get in the draw but looking forward to it down should be full off confidence

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 25, 2010, 12:54:10 PM
13 aside I'm with you but hadn't read your post until I posted on the Down Sligo thread.
The big decision was to swop Mc Kernan for Colgan- it certainly worked last night but Sligo are a footballing side. I would fancy our chances against any team who play direct football as the Sevens tradition in Down has produced players like Mark Poland, who excels in games like last night. Yet when we come up against teams who have set their focus on doing whatever it takes to win ( fair or foul), we might need to revert back to the system with Colgan central to it. Clearly Tyrone are market leaders but Cork,Meath, Kildare and to a lesser extent, Kerry, will play that game
The draw , again will be critical. We can't play Tyrone until SF so Roscommon or Meath are beatable.Kerry would be hell of a test but I have no fear.

Think we can play Tyrone as Superblues said, if it was the case that we couldnt face previous team played Dublin couldn't face Meath, Cork Couldnt face Kerry! So i'd say we have chance to be drawn again any of the teams hoping we get Roscommon!!
Thought Down were immense last night, very surprised at scoreline in the end but always thought they would have shaded it. Everyone of the players were top class, moving Garvey into the centre tightened up the middle and with McKernan and Rooney running up and down wings all night we were unstoppable. Also the movement and ball retention of the six forwards was brilliant. But the mid field is where the game was won, nearly every kickout was won or fell to Down man putting us on the front foot from the off. Ambrose was very good but my man of the match was big Kalum King, he was unreal. He caught alot of ball and never stopped all night!

centre 3/4s

Will the club championship still go ahead as planned?

Square Ball

Quote from: centre 3/4s on July 25, 2010, 08:22:50 PM
Will the club championship still go ahead as planned?

I would think so, championship due on 5th to the 8th, now if they win that could make a difference. I can see a lot of games being called off this weekend due to the game.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid