Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleLord

Ludacris. This type of thing will continue to happen. Sure theres only the ref, 1 man, if he doesnt see it, he cant really do anything about it. There should be 3 neutral officials at all games, end off, (or maybe just in games where kilcoo is playin...) :P

norabeag

and where are you going to get all these neutral officials from?
Is it only for senior games?
Situation is not ideal but no practical solution

Wind yer neck in

Its hard enough getting refs never mind umpires and linesmen, plus county board doesn't want to pay them for championship matches this summer, cut backs or something? Have to say there does seem to be a bit of thuggery coming back into the game and every club has there so called "hardmen". I'm a wee bit surprised by the actions of Longstone players especially 6 and the big sub 22 (caught the Fords young midfielder with an off ball haymaker). To be fair to Stone 6 he wouldn't be known as a dirty player but the punches and grappling etc dished out to Maginn was unacceptable and very unlike them. Could there new manager be looking for this more dirty off the ball incidents, heard their training has involved some more dubious tactics in recent times, come back Frank all is forgiven!!? Stone are always hard but fair and in recent years have been known as a good football side, just would hate to see them and indeed any club, and we all have these type of players, resorting to this behaviour. Let the coachs, managers and committees nip these off ball incidents in the bud they have no place in the game particularly if refs can't keep up with play or choose not to see such incidents. Its a coincidence that the ref in the Stone game was from Kilcoo and as the mellee ensued he decided to stand 70 yards away for the 2 odd mins and then proceed to book the two boys standing nearest him, while the culprits get off scott free!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on July 01, 2010, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: NedFlanders on July 01, 2010, 05:15:50 AM
An Riocht  0-12 1-8 Kilcoo  Bryansford Round 13

Great win for An Riocht last Friday night, missing two Starters and key forwards.
Tough hitting game of football, good psychical battles all over the field. Martin Clarke moved to Midfield 2nd half and player an absolute stormer.

Although Kilcoo Number 4 should have seen the line for what was an off the ball elbow to the back of the an riocht half back's head, shocking bitta play, left the player in a bad way, forcing him off,  waited till the man had turned his back an sneaked up, disgracefull!

The same thing happened our corner forward against the magpies on Sunday... an unprovoked elbow away from the play resulted in him recieving x rays on his eye socket and spending two days in daisy hill...

Some people very quick to get a dig at the county champions here without true descriptions off what led to both incidents. All i can say with regard the two players in question is what goes around comes around. I disagree with lads getting injured off the ball but the incidents where provoced and the Bridge and Kingdom players started both incidents only to come off worst. The Kilcoo players where wrong for their actions but it must be said the two players that came off worst have a history off bad behaviour on the field off play.

NedFlanders

What game were you at MDG, young devlin pulled the an riocht man to the ground and as soon as both were cautioned, devlin ran off with his tail between his legs and let the number 4 take the kingdom man out!

And county champions, if thats the ways yous win your titles, no thanks you. DISGRACEFULL

Who was the two that came off worse MR Kilcoo can do no wrong?

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 01, 2010, 04:12:33 PM

Great win for An Riocht last Friday night, missing two Starters and key forwards.
Tough hitting game of football, good psychical battles all over the field. Martin Clarke moved to Midfield 2nd half and player an absolute stormer.

Although Kilcoo Number 4 should have seen the line for what was an off the ball elbow to the back of the an riocht half back's head, shocking bitta play, left the player in a bad way, forcing him off,  waited till the man had turned his back an sneaked up, disgracefull!

The same thing happened our corner forward against the magpies on Sunday... an unprovoked elbow away from the play resulted in him recieving x rays on his eye socket and spending two days in daisy hill...

Some people very quick to get a dig at the county champions here without true descriptions off what led to both incidents. All i can say with regard the two players in question is what goes around comes around. I disagree with lads getting injured off the ball but the incidents where provoced and the Bridge and Kingdom players started both incidents only to come off worst. The Kilcoo players where wrong for their actions but it must be said the two players that came off worst have a history off bad behaviour on the field off play.

Your totally wrong there MDG, I was at the match on Sun and seen with my own eyes what was going on, there was a bit of pushing and shoving going on and that wee albino tosser swung his elbow round in to young Galllaghers eye. The P***k could have blinded him. But you seem to think he got what he deserved! And i dont know what you're talking about him having a bad record for, the lad has hardly ever been booked in his life never mind sent off! Oh aye another one of your dirty B*****ds got the line too for head butting, I suppose his man deserved it also. Catch a grip man!!! It was only last week one of your own players got a bad doing against Saval,  so did he deserve it also???

thegael

I have to step in here Kilcoo are great ambassadors for our county.It is the standard of referrees that is the problem here , i was at the kilcoo / stone game and what young devlin had to put up with that day was unreal - pure thuggerry from the stone , i don't like thugs and really the stone need to be watched more closely with their off the ball stuff,
Regards an riocht they must be trying the same type of stuff as their neighbours , this needs to stop. kilcoo are a tough team but in no way are they thugs but the mourne sides of late have introduced  off the ball tactics - referees need a zero tolerance . i must say some of the stone lads should be ashamed of themselves of late , they are being too gullible by listening to whoever is promoting this stuff.
If the stone want to pay for street fighting / pub fighting stuff from whoever good luck to them.
the stone will never bully kilcoo so for heavens sake stop trying the street pub fighting stuff , real gaels don't do that - the real tough men never did that. so just ensure refs get tough with the stone.

the gael takes no prisoners !

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: NedFlanders on July 01, 2010, 06:47:47 PM
What game were you at MDG, young devlin pulled the an riocht man to the ground and as soon as both were cautioned, devlin ran off with his tail between his legs and let the number 4 take the kingdom man out!

And county champions, if thats the ways yous win your titles, no thanks you. DISGRACEFULL

Who was the two that came off worse MR Kilcoo can do no wrong?

Well as county champions we have not had one player red carded this season. We won out title with pure hard work, togetherness and determination. This particular kingdon player has a reputation for foul play and we have seen it at first hand down the years. He got took out off the ball which i previously said was wrong but he took another off our players out prior to this.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on July 01, 2010, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 01, 2010, 04:12:33 PM

Your totally wrong there MDG, I was at the match on Sun and seen with my own eyes what was going on, there was a bit of pushing and shoving going on and that wee albino t**ser swung his elbow round in to young Galllaghers eye. The P***k could have blinded him. But you seem to think he got what he deserved! And i dont know what you're talking about him having a bad record for, the lad has hardly ever been booked in his life never mind sent off! Oh aye another one of your dirty B*****ds got the line too for head butting, I suppose his man deserved it also. Catch a grip man!!! It was only last week one of your own players got a bad doing against Saval,  so did he deserve it also???

Ok your player is an angel and Kilcoo are all the aforementioned terms you have used. you know best.  Our player that got hurt against Saval got badly injured with a high challange but we didnt come on here and say all sorts about the Saval player in question.
These things sometimes happen in football. in the case with your player it was provoked and as a result he got badly hurt but he was still fit to insult 4 elderly Kilcoo women on his way off after they asked him was he ok.

Mid Down Gael

Division 2 Result

Downpatrick 1-11 Loughinisland 1-10

EagleLord

Off the ball incidents such as the examples mentioned are yella. Theres no other word for it. Football is what we play and watch and love boys, FOOTBALL! If we wanted to see fightin, we would go to one of them friggin cage fightin tournaments. Now I know its a mans game, and good hard football is the way it used to be back i nthe old days, and the last thing we want is for our sport to go down the dreaded soccer route where its becoem basiclly non-contact, but there has to be a line here. Someone said there its not the players fault, its the referee's, not sure if it was MDG or ned. This is one instance where the responsability is 100% on the player. The player should have the cop on to keep the cool head, no matter what bullshit is whispered in his ear or taunted with. Owl manager we had years ago said, 'you have to keep your discipline on the feild otherwise you let your team down, if you wanna hurt a man, either score 10pts off him, or hit him with a good fair shoulder when the balls there and put him on his hole. The only time I will condone punching/striking, is if a man spits on you, this is the lowest insult one man can give another, if that happens, you blind the c**t!'. No-one has a problem with hard teams, kilcoo, longstone or burren or whoever are strong men, and theres nothing wrong with being tough, its when sneaky off the ball digs, and 'hit and run' incidents happen, that makes the blood boil. That is just yella, cowardly, and these are happening more and more. And ye may say its wrong to single out teams or players, but I have seen it happen in games involving kilcoo, and to a lesser extent clonduff.

southdown

Quote from: Wind yer neck in on July 01, 2010, 02:33:19 PM
Its hard enough getting refs never mind umpires and linesmen, plus county board doesn't want to pay them for championship matches this summer, cut backs or something? Have to say there does seem to be a bit of thuggery coming back into the game and every club has there so called "hardmen". I'm a wee bit surprised by the actions of Longstone players especially 6 and the big sub 22 (caught the Fords young midfielder with an off ball haymaker). To be fair to Stone 6 he wouldn't be known as a dirty player but the punches and grappling etc dished out to Maginn was unacceptable and very unlike them. Could there new manager be looking for this more dirty off the ball incidents, heard their training has involved some more dubious tactics in recent times, come back Frank all is forgiven!!? Stone are always hard but fair and in recent years have been known as a good football side, just would hate to see them and indeed any club, and we all have these type of players, resorting to this behaviour. Let the coachs, managers and committees nip these off ball incidents in the bud they have no place in the game particularly if refs can't keep up with play or choose not to see such incidents. Its a coincidence that the ref in the Stone game was from Kilcoo and as the mellee ensued he decided to stand 70 yards away for the 2 odd mins and then proceed to book the two boys standing nearest him, while the culprits get off scott free!

Wind yer neck in, wind yer neck in!  It is a bit unfair to single out Stone over one game.  Thinking back over recent derbies with the Ford it is pretty obvious that there are no saints in your club either.  Incidents like this go on all the time, I think it is a bit extreme to say we have changed to a "dirty club."

Wind yer neck in

I only called it as I saw it. I also spoke to a few Stone ex-players and it was they who commented that the new coach encouraged and trained the players to this rough house tactics e.g. stopping the runner who had passed the ball and also their tackling drills were more akin to rugby sessions or ju-jitsu!! Also if you read my comments I do say that every club has players who will bend the rules as much as they humanly can, the so called hard men, and i also said all clubs have a duty through their coaches managers and committees to try and stamp that out. I have just picked up on the general theme of off ball incidents as mentioned in the previous threads and it so happens this happened in our game not just once( Magiinn concussed) and Bonny thumped but also it seemed a general trend of tackling and off ball incidents through out particular punching the ball in the tackle and pulling and dragging of ball carriers. I didn't mention the vitriolic abuse hurled out to our manager ( will definitley not print what was said -  more saddened than disgusted) by so called supporters and one of the selectors ( small ginger haired man that jumped up and down mancally on numerous occassions screaming to his palyer " cut the f**k out of them etc etc). My real point was that for the last few years the Stone seemed to encourage good flowing football, (All Ireland 7's and county final) but now look to have moved away from that even though they basically have the same group of players.  ::) ::)

CHB1

I dont want to condone the off the ball incidents that take place in most matches but I think its fair to say that we can all hold our hands up and say that every club has their players to undertake these tactics at times.  Ive played senior football for over 10 years and against a lot of clubs and each one has players like this.  MDG is right in saying that Kilcoo dont come on screaming when their players are hit.
a few weeks ago a mayobridge person wrote in complaining about the antics of a Clonduff player who hit a bridge player but he seemed to forget that in the very first league game of the year 2 mayobridge players took into a Clonduff player just before half time just in front of the changing rooms leaving him with blood pouring from his head. One of them a former county player and the other a current one!  no team has 15 saints playing on it.  Officials, no matter how many there are are not going to get all incidents that occur off the ball.
Not condoning the actions but I think people should think about incidents their own club have taken part in before they come on here brandishing insults to other clubs.

southdown

Quote from: CHB1 on July 02, 2010, 02:26:02 PM
I dont want to condone the off the ball incidents that take place in most matches but I think its fair to say that we can all hold our hands up and say that every club has their players to undertake these tactics at times.  Ive played senior football for over 10 years and against a lot of clubs and each one has players like this.  MDG is right in saying that Kilcoo dont come on screaming when their players are hit.
a few weeks ago a mayobridge person wrote in complaining about the antics of a Clonduff player who hit a bridge player but he seemed to forget that in the very first league game of the year 2 mayobridge players took into a Clonduff player just before half time just in front of the changing rooms leaving him with blood pouring from his head. One of them a former county player and the other a current one!  no team has 15 saints playing on it.  Officials, no matter how many there are are not going to get all incidents that occur off the ball.
Not condoning the actions but I think people should think about incidents their own club have taken part in before they come on here brandishing insults to other clubs.