Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastion

Quote from: Dannymcfella on May 07, 2010, 09:12:05 PM
Loughinisland beat Clann na Banna by a point with more than a little help from the clown Pat McDade. Loughinisland will know they got out of jail with this one. The 'referee'gave them 2 scores which were wide and denied Banbridge a point which was clearly a point after he intially signalled for a point, then in the last minute waved away as blatant a 14 yard free as your ever likely to see. No matter what Clann na Banna done here tonight there was no way on this earth that excuse for a referee was letting them get away with anything from this game. He is a disgrace to the game and was determined to cheat Banbridge out of it. Its people like him turn people away from the game.
Both teams gave everything in this game and that clown McDade made sure it was him had the biggest influnce on the game
I agree with the two lads on the comments that you have made about the ref.There are two sides to every story what kind of abuse was the ref given during the game because at the end of the day he is humem and can make mistakes,if the back chat and abuse that the refs have to endure stopped, we might get refs doing a better job when they are given the chance to concentrate on the job in hand.I am by no means trying to defend his decisions ,I've been there and know what it is like to leave a game that you could have got something from ,with nothing but this is sadly part and parcel of the game.Refs will not mind you coming up to them at the end of the game and asking them about various decisions that were made during the game at least you will know what he saw.But as far as some of the abuse refs have to take it must stop,young people see it and it puts them off taking up this part of the game.

DownFan2010

Dannymcfella, these things seem to even out over the course of a season anyway. I wouldn't completely blame a referee for a defeat, as that simply excuses all the mistakes made by your team during the course of a game. That said I know how infuriating referees are at times and sometimes this leads us to think something more sinister is on their agenda.

Back to last nights results, big wins for Downpatrick,Annaclone and Tullylish. The pressure will be on Ballyholland to get a result this evening to kickstart their season. Kilcief look in dire straits already, heard John McGreevy was in great scoring form last night again, my man at the game says he scored 2-9, most from play.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on May 08, 2010, 02:34:53 AM
Despite conceding two goals in the opening eight minutes Mayobridge chalked up an impressive win over visitors Kilcoo on Friday evening. The 'Bridge could also afford the luxury of a missed penalty and another great goal opportunity as they turned in a much improved performance to win by a three point margin. Cathal Magee opened the scoring in the first minute but then in their first attack the Magpies sliced open the 'Bridge defence and corner back Niall Brannigan slammed the ball to the net. Points from Brendan Coulter and Cathal Magee levelled matters but then very slack marking saw Barry Kane finding the net for the visitors. Once again the Sky Blues had to pick themselves up and they did so in style sending over three quick points from, Cathal Magee, Ryan Brady and Brendan Coulter. Kilcoo then forged ahead again but the home side suffered another blow in the 17th minute wnen Ryan Brady was upended in the goalmouth but the resultant penalty was driven wide by Brendan Coulter. However the 'Bridge dusted themselves down again and by the interval were back on level terms, 0-9 to 2-3.

Cathal Magee got the Sky Blues off to a dream start in the second half when he was set up by Keith Quinn and had the easy task of palming the ball to the net. Kicoo however were not giving up trhe fight and and a Barry Kane goal in the 49th minute levelled the game. Straight from the kick-out the home side attacked and a Cathal Magee pass saw Brendan Coulter in the clear and he rounded the 'keeper to blast the ball home. Paul Devlin narrowed the gap with a point in the 55th minute but scores from, Ronan Sexton, Cathal Magee and Conleth O'Hare made the outcome secure. Kicoo added two points in injury time but it was the League Champions who came out on top. This was a very well contested game, played in the right spirit between two well matched teams and proved great entertainment for the large crowd. Mayobridge certainly showed a great improvement from some of their previous games and hopefully they will build on this for the rest of the season.

Mayobridge team and scorers: Liam Coulter, Adrian Barry, Conor Garvey, Brendan Rooney, Shane O'Hare, Brendan Grant, Kevin McClorey, Eoghan Woods, Micheal Lively, Keith Quinn (0-1), Cathal Killen, Ryan Brady (0-2), Ronan Sexton (0-2), Cathal Magee (1-5), Brendan Coulter (1-3).

Subs used: Conleth O'Hare (0-1), Gavin Walsh.

Kilcoo scorers: Barry Kane (2-5), Niall Brannigan (1-0), Conor Laverty (0-2), Paul Devlin (0-1).

The bridge fully deserved their win over us last night. They where totally dominant in midfield where we had no answer to Woods. Our defence went awol for the two goals which cost us dearly. I reakoned both sides where about 4 starters short. The sooner we have Greenan and Marty McClean back in midfield the better and quit giving away sloppy goals like we have done in our last two games. Entertaining game with not a bad stroke in it, pure football. The bridge will still be the team to beat come championship time.

banker

Quote from: DownFan2010 on May 08, 2010, 10:43:19 AM
Dannymcfella, these things seem to even out over the course of a season anyway. I wouldn't completely blame a referee for a defeat, as that simply excuses all the mistakes made by your team during the course of a game. That said I know how infuriating referees are at times and sometimes this leads us to think something more sinister is on their agenda.

Back to last nights results, big wins for Downpatrick,Annaclone and Tullylish. The pressure will be on Ballyholland to get a result this evening to kickstart their season. Kilcief look in dire straits already, heard John McGreevy was in great scoring form last night again, my man at the game says he scored 2-9, most from play.

Sour grapes Dannymcfella
John McAreavey was in great form last night probably back to his very best. Think he finished up with 2-7. It was Tullylish's workrate that won the game last night and the half forward line was fantastic in their tracking back and tackling. Kilclief did not deserve the 10 points which was registered on the scoreboard which were mainly from frees probably only 2 points from play. The referee gave them a lot of easy frees. If this game was tighter the referee probably would have handed the game to Kilclief. Seems to be the trend when a south Down team goes to play in East Down and the referee is from a neighbouring club and gives the locals easy frees. Tullylish could have won this game by a lot more. Onwards and upwards for Tullylish. Sitting there nicely in the mix of division 2.

behind the wire

Quote from: Pangurban on May 08, 2010, 12:05:59 AM
Well said Mourne Rover, this constant abuse of Referees has got to stop. Some of them may be poor, i doubt that many are biased, but i am certain there are not many volunteers seeking to do the job, so a little appreciation of the Men we have got would not be amiss

Understand your view pangurban but when a ref overrules umpires 3 times it doesnt seem right.  Had it happened at one of the more hostile grounds in the county there would have been serious trouble.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Long Ball

Are there top 4 and bottom 4 playoffs this year in Div 1 even though there are fewer teams?
Drive yer boot in her!!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Long Ball on May 08, 2010, 02:43:23 PM
Are there top 4 and bottom 4 playoffs this year in Div 1 even though there are fewer teams?

The bottom team are automatically relegated with 2nd from bottom and 3rd from bottom playing off for the second team to be relegated. second and third at the top play a simi final and play the team who finished top in league final. Hard to see the town and Liatriom surviving at this early stage.

norabeag

Quote from: banker on May 08, 2010, 11:04:06 AM

Sour grapes Dannymcfella
John McAreavey was in great form last night probably back to his very best. Think he finished up with 2-7. It was Tullylish's workrate that won the game last night and the half forward line was fantastic in their tracking back and tackling. Kilclief did not deserve the 10 points which was registered on the scoreboard which were mainly from frees probably only 2 points from play. The referee gave them a lot of easy frees. If this game was tighter the referee probably would have handed the game to Kilclief. Seems to be the trend when a south Down team goes to play in East Down and the referee is from a neighbouring club and gives the locals easy frees. Tullylish could have won this game by a lot more. Onwards and upwards for Tullylish. Sitting there nicely in the mix of division 2.
And do you seriously think that East Down Teams dont think this is how it is for them when they go South!

dundrumite

Boys/ladies no point in wasting finger energy in typing about the boys in black, as  there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Good, bad or horrific you just had get on with i.
I think its very unfair publically naming a ref for a sub standard performance. I have respect for them for having the balls to go in the firing line to ref matches when they could be doing a thousand and one other things on a Friday night like watching their own club.
I do understand when you bust your ass training and lose a tight game to a bad decision it will make some see red, however, just like players they will have good days and crap days.

5 Sams

Harps 0-13 The Point 0-10

I think the point only got one score frpom play. McGarry got the rest from deadballs.

A half fit Rony Murtagh caused havoc when he came on at half time. We went from a point down to 5 in front in the space of 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half.
The Aristocrat Years

norabeag

Quote from: dundrumite on May 08, 2010, 07:30:40 PM
Boys/ladies no point in wasting finger energy in typing about the boys in black, as  there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Good, bad or horrific you just had get on with i.
I think its very unfair publically naming a ref for a sub standard performance. I have respect for them for having the balls to go in the firing line to ref matches when they could be doing a thousand and one other things on a Friday night like watching their own club.
I do understand when you bust your ass training and lose a tight game to a bad decision it will make some see red, however, just like players they will have good days and crap days.
I agree totally
I was just making the point that this perception is not the preserve of one side of the county.

Dannymcfella

Sour grapes Dannymcfella
no bones not sour grapes, stating facts which loughinisland players will agree with, although your statement of sour grapes comes from a great position of authority considering you were standing along the line in tullylish colours in kilclief so would know very little about what went on at our game! You seriously want your point about my post being sour grapes taken seriously yet you come on and complain about the referees performance despite  hammering a team?  and sebastion you said about the ref getting abuse during the game, ask the loughinisland manager who the more disciplined team was as he ran the line a few times trying to find out who was arguing with the ref which resulted in frees getting moved forward, something which didnt happen with us.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Dannymcfella on May 09, 2010, 03:20:10 AM

Sour grapes Dannymcfella
no bones not sour grapes, stating facts which loughinisland players will agree with, although your statement of sour grapes comes from a great position of authority considering you were standing along the line in tullylish colours in kilclief so would know very little about what went on at our game! You seriously want your point about my post being sour grapes taken seriously yet you come on and complain about the referees performance despite  hammering a team?  and sebastion you said about the ref getting abuse during the game, ask the loughinisland manager who the more disciplined team was as he ran the line a few times trying to find out who was arguing with the ref which resulted in frees getting moved forward, something which didnt happen with us.
Was chatting to a banbridge player who when telling me about the game never mentioned the referee once and said that the island could have beaten them by more. Also, Dan Gordon said to have played well?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Dannymcfella

Quote from: dodgy umpire on May 09, 2010, 01:12:16 PM
Quote from: Dannymcfella on May 09, 2010, 03:20:10 AM

Sour grapes Dannymcfella
Was chatting to a banbridge player who when telling me about the game never mentioned the referee once and said that the island could have beaten them by more. Also, Dan Gordon said to have played well?

I find it hard to believe any Banbridge player wouldn't mention the referee. yeah Dan had a good game, some great fielding of the ball and took a great score in the second half, O'Reilly was prob their most dangerous player overall. Loughinisland had one or 2 goal chances but McAlister made a few great saves one of which was out of this world

marsbarkid

Can anyone confirm if the ACPRL match between Kilcoo2nds + Bryansford2nds is going ahead @6pm this evening as scheduled?