Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banker

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on April 29, 2010, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: banker on April 29, 2010, 09:07:26 PM
The bridge must not be going at full tilt in the league this year. Although Longstone are tough opposition.

They are two great results which Tullylish and Clann na Banna pulled off tonight both away from home. Division 2 is very tight this year

Wouldnt panic yet Banker! We are missing quite a few at the moment. Gavin Barry, Noel Sexton, John Caldwell, Seamus Grant, Liam Coulter, Michael Walsh all weren't playing tonight. I would think these lads will possibly play come Championship time.
But as you said, "Longstone are tough opposition". It is a hard place to go and win, they are a hard working team with great players!

I know well enough that Mayobridge are just going along nicely and the Championshop will be their main aim.

In the Onion Bag

Are these results taken from the Co Down Board site correct?  If so, very  strange indeed!

Bredagh1-110-16Saul

Darragh Cross 0-71-15Glenn 

John Martin

Glenn score is correct anyway.

Square Ball

Bredagh won

1-11 to 1-6 the - is in the wrong place
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

In the Onion Bag

Impressive away result for Glenn.  Not surprised that Bredagh bt Saul.
Any word on St John's v Drumgath?

T O Hare

ACFL Division 3

Bredagh  1-11 1-6 Saul  Bredagh 
St Johns  0-9 1-8 Drumgath   
Darragh Cross  0-7 1-15 Glenn 

ACPRL Division 1

An Riocht  1-8 1-17 Mayobridge   
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

guevara

Have to say Im a bit puzzled by the new additions  ???
Ross Carr made the same mistake of bringing in U-21's ahead of boys performing better in the Down League & it proved a very risky tactic. Guys like Colm Murney at Rostrevor have struggled to even make their Club teams but were deemed good enough to be on the County Panel 2/3 years ago.

Im not doubting the talent of any of the 4 additions, what I am challenging is that these 4 fellas are the next 4 best players in the County utside of the existing panel.
Id say fellas like Jason Brown of Hilltown & others must be scratching their heads think "what the hell is going on"
Its fine being a good U-21 & shining at that level but its very hard to stand out at U-21 & Senior.

People can say all they like about development etc but what dvelopment are these fellas gonna get missing club games to sit on the bench or in the stand for Down?
It would be a better idea to pick out your top say 15 young players & let them play away with their clubs but have them on a development programme that will ensure they are doing the right training, looking at their nutrition, bulking up & ensuring that in 2/3 years they are good enough to be on the County Panel
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

goldenyears

Quevara, best post I have read on here in months if not longer.
Fair play + absolutely spot on!!

Highlander3

yes good post Guevara

Over that last few years we dont seem have done a good job developing our young players. Last year in the under 21's i thought there was no better player in the competition that Peter Fitzpatrick, but for the seniors he has only occasionally shown that, the same with Paul McC, i wonder should we be doing more to develop them into seniors, for both of them i think it also hurts they are not playing division 1 football, i still think the idear of regional teams for championship is something we should look at.

EagleLord

Not a chance Highlander3...one life..one club and all that...

EagleLord

Quote from: supersub on April 30, 2010, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on April 30, 2010, 02:44:28 PM
Better player at half-back I reckon..

and here lies the problem! Shaun has been changed position so much over the last 3 or 4 years since he was a county u21 that it has really hampered his progress when it comes to fillin a position on the county team! Play him anywhere in your club team and he will excel and be one of the best players everytime - but it is hard to bring this versatility to the county set up. He was being played half back when he was on the panel earlier in the year and he hadnt played there for almost 2 years! I agree he should be given another chance to impress! But as long as he does the business for us we wont be wanting him to miss too many of our games!

With regards to the other players called up - yes those are the names I heard too, was just wanting to see if there was confirmation!

True enough, i remember at minor level he was at 6 i think, and he definatley played at 3 at under21 level one year, and at 5 the next. He did good jobs them times as far as i can remember. Not sure what position he plays at for Rostrevor though?? Does he play in one position consistantly?

Highlander3

Eaglelord i know that you are right that it will not happen, but i think it should, they do it in Kerry and it seems to work for them. Good players are born in small parishes as well, and this would give them a chance to play a higher standard of club football.

EagleLord

Kerry is a good example for you to argue your case alright. But doesnt mean we should copy them. I remember a few years ago, we were playing leagye games, it was only under12s, but the other teams sometimes didnt have enough players, so they joined together. Saval/Glenn..Drumgath/Annaclone, Liatrom/Dromara etc etc.. I just remembered seeing lads wearing the other clubs jersey, and although that all seems practical yeh, I just got the oddest feeling, just for a second, Jaysus if the owl boy seen me wear that, he'd killl me.. Thats what special about that. You wear your own club jersy and thats it. Thats why I hate hate hate to see players transfer. Thats why I didnt like atal the conversation on here one time, where lads were calling for Paul McComisky to play for Bryansford, just to play at the higher standard?!?! Ludacris! Our ethos of representing our parish should be preserved.

supersub

Quote from: EagleLord on May 02, 2010, 12:53:21 AM
Quote from: supersub on April 30, 2010, 07:09:51 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on April 30, 2010, 02:44:28 PM
Better player at half-back I reckon..

and here lies the problem! Shaun has been changed position so much over the last 3 or 4 years since he was a county u21 that it has really hampered his progress when it comes to fillin a position on the county team! Play him anywhere in your club team and he will excel and be one of the best players everytime - but it is hard to bring this versatility to the county set up. He was being played half back when he was on the panel earlier in the year and he hadnt played there for almost 2 years! I agree he should be given another chance to impress! But as long as he does the business for us we wont be wanting him to miss too many of our games!

With regards to the other players called up - yes those are the names I heard too, was just wanting to see if there was confirmation!

True enough, i remember at minor level he was at 6 i think, and he definatley played at 3 at under21 level one year, and at 5 the next. He did good jobs them times as far as i can remember. Not sure what position he plays at for Rostrevor though?? Does he play in one position consistantly?

Yeh thats what I mean he did play well for the minors and u21s in those positions alright - and if he had continued to play there consistantly he probably would be an excellent county half back now. But he has played all along the half back line, wing half forward, centre half forward and corner forward in the last few years for the club. He has been in the corner since just before championship time last year and is still there. Does a brilliant job too! But it is not where people are used to seeing him for the county and he was put in half back for the time he was in the squad at the start of the year!

Tomorrow is another day

Quote from: EagleLord on May 02, 2010, 11:27:25 AM
Kerry is a good example for you to argue your case alright. But doesnt mean we should copy them. I remember a few years ago, we were playing leagye games, it was only under12s, but the other teams sometimes didnt have enough players, so they joined together. Saval/Glenn..Drumgath/Annaclone, Liatrom/Dromara etc etc.. I just remembered seeing lads wearing the other clubs jersey, and although that all seems practical yeh, I just got the oddest feeling, just for a second, Jaysus if the owl boy seen me wear that, he'd killl me.. Thats what special about that. You wear your own club jersy and thats it. Thats why I hate hate hate to see players transfer. Thats why I didnt like atal the conversation on here one time, where lads were calling for Paul McComisky to play for Bryansford, just to play at the higher standard?!?! Ludacris! Our ethos of representing our parish should be preserved.

In Kerry you would not wear the jersey of your local rivals. Rather you wear the jersey of the regional team - South Kerry, East Kerry, Mid Kerry, Feale Rangers, Shannon Rangers etc.
Take Glenbeigh / Glencar - they are a very small club that had 2 county starters Darren Sullivan and Jack O'Sheas lad but both of these boys cut their teeth playing senior championship games for Mid Kerry. Also their near neighbours Cromane. Cromane are a 4th division side that would get hammered by Glenn or even Dundrum here in Down but they have 2 county seniors Sean O'Sullivan and Donnacha Walshe and both these guys would never had got to play intercounty football but for the experience of Mid Kerry