Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Was at Castlewellan game, an incredible result. A team that cant close out a game in which they hold a 6 point lead and are totally dominant, need to ask serious questions of themselves, before a lower division beckons

Town Gael

Quote from: Pangurban on April 23, 2010, 01:24:38 AM
Was at Castlewellan game, an incredible result. A team that cant close out a game in which they hold a 6 point lead and are totally dominant, need to ask serious questions of themselves, before a lower division beckons

I have to agree with you Pangurban- we are in serious trouble already as I feared we would be before the season started. Individual mistakes cost us for the 2nd week in a row- easy 10 passes not reaching their target lead to several Clonduff scores.  Fair play to them, they battled away and never gave up. With 15 minutes to go I could see no way back into the game for them- even with 5 minutes left I thought that! Clonduff fought for every ball like demons though when they sensed they might salvage something form the game.
To lose to a goal with the very last kick of the game is gutwrenching but I still have no idea how the ref Laverty  can justify playing 4 minutes on injury time when there wasn't a single stoppage for an injury in the whole game! And a blind man could see the Clonduff forward threw the ball to Jason Brown for the wining goal (Which he struck beautifully by the way)
It's going to be a long season for the Town

mournerambler

Quote from: Town Gael on April 23, 2010, 08:33:24 AM

I have to agree with you Pangurban- we are in serious trouble already as I feared we would be before the season started. Individual mistakes cost us for the 2nd week in a row- easy 10 passes not reaching their target lead to several Clonduff scores.  Fair play to them, they battled away and never gave up. With 15 minutes to go I could see no way back into the game for them- even with 5 minutes left I thought that! Clonduff fought for every ball like demons though when they sensed they might salvage something form the game.
To lose to a goal with the very last kick of the game is gutwrenching but I still have no idea how the ref Laverty  can justify playing 4 minutes on injury time when there wasn't a single stoppage for an injury in the whole game! And a blind man could see the Clonduff forward threw the ball to Jason Brown for the wining goal (Which he struck beautifully by the way)

Jasus Town Gael are we going to have to endure another season of you blaming the ref for your own teams inadequacies, change the record lad & try and accept that Castlewellan are a poor Division 1 team & even if Pat McEnaney was in the middle it wouldn't make any difference to the results.

Town Gael

Quote from: mournerambler on April 23, 2010, 09:01:27 AM
Quote from: Town Gael on April 23, 2010, 08:33:24 AM

Jasus Town Gael are we going to have to endure another season of you blaming the ref for your own teams inadequacies, change the record lad & try and accept that Castlewellan are a poor Division 1 team & even if Pat McEnaney was in the middle it wouldn't make any difference to the results.

Mournerambler read everything before you comment- I agreed with Pangurban in that it was our own fault and we should have won the game easily- shot ourselves in the foot. I also said we will struggle this year and I will be delighted if we manage to avoid the drop. Fact remains though that there were no stoppages in the game so 4 mins is hard to understand

Town Gael

Down boss James McCartan fears that Martin Clarke may be set to return to Australia after Collingwood declared their intent to bring the An Riocht clubman back to the AFL.

Clarke returned to Ireland in 2009 after three years with the Melbourne club, but Collingwood revealed recently that they have been in touch with the 22-year-old forward in an attempt to persuade him back Down Under.

'I didn't think it was my place to start quizzing Marty a week or 10 days before a league final,' McCartan said in the Irish Independent.

'There's no doubt that the guy performed very well when he was out there and there's no reason to think that his ex-team wouldn't want him back in the same way that when he left, Down wanted him back.

'I would guess that there is certainly something to the rumours because he's a good enough player, so there could well be something in it. I just have to be happy with the here and now - that he's available for this weekend - and I'm assuming that he's available for the summer until he tells me otherwise.

'We're delighted to have him and we'll be doing everything in our power to try and make sure he isn't tempted back; unfortunately they can offer something that we can't.'

Clarke currently works as a coaching officer with the Down County Board, and McCartan has stressed Clarke's importance to his side ahead of Sunday's Division 2 final with Armagh in Croke Park.

'Marty is obviously a massive help to us. The big thing about getting Marty back is that it is like getting two players back from Australia because his brother John has been playing fantastic as well. They seem to work well in tandem.

'What I find with Marty is that people are trying to hit him and he is able to handle that. He is well used to being the centre of attention. He was telling me that out in Australia he regularly received verbal abuse about being the Irish wimp.

'I always warn him about certain players. Because he is back from Australia, he is going to be getting the verbals and is going to be the centre of attention. He says: "Okay, I'm well used to that." It is not a factor for him.'

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on April 22, 2010, 10:53:33 PM
Quote from: Catch the high ball on April 22, 2010, 09:03:55 PM
Castlewellan 0.15
Clonduff 1.13

Castlewellan must be kicking themselves. 14-8 up and playing the better football with no more than 8 mins left. Hit a post with a goal bound effort and let in a sucker punch goal with literally the last kick of the game.

Ive never seen a team dominate a game as much as Castlewellan did and not get the win. They were fitter and sharper all over the pitch. I honestly thought Clonduff were distinctly average. Just shows you how perserverance can pay off to the final whistle.
On another note, Gregory McCartan was superb when he came on in the 2nd half. Banged over 4 points, two from play.

John Martin

Result:
Glenn 0-10
Carryduff 0-6

RGU08

dundroma

dundrum= 2-12
st johns bosco= 3-14

goldenyears

Harps 11 - attical 11 - bad game

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundroma on April 23, 2010, 08:57:34 PM
dundrum= 2-12
st johns bosco= 3-14

High on scores, poor on quality. Was level pegging at the start of the 2nd half and then we got a man lined. Nip and tuck after that but Bosco used their spare man wisely and ran out deserved winners.
Bad start for us. 1 win in 4.

DownFanatic

ACFL Division 1
Team 1 Score Score Team 2 Venue Comment   
Bryansford  3-8 0-13 Longstone  Bryansford Round 4 

ACFL Division 2
Loughinisland  0-13 2-13 Downpatrick  Loughinisland   
Tullylish  1-7 2-11 Saval  Tullylish   
Kilclief  0-10 2-15 Shamrocks  Kilclief   
Ballyholland  0-11 0-11 Atticall  Ballyholland   

ACFL Division 3
Glenn  0-10 0-6 Carryduff  Glenn Round 5 
Dundrum  2-12 3-14 St John Bosco  Dundrum Round 5 
Drumaness  2-10 2-12 Bredagh  Drumaness Round 5 

ACFL Division 4
St Michaels  0-15 0-9 Bright  St Michaels

guevara

Point beat Annaclone by 6!

Blues dominated from start to finish but once again the standard of refereeing in this County has been shown be be very poor.
Ned Morgan made some very strange decisions.
On another note what is going on in Div II??
Ballyholland dropping points to Atticall.....Loughinisland beat by Downpatrick & word coming through that Banbridge beating Ballymartin?
Form seems to be out the window with all the so called favourites!
Good to see the League being competitive as at the minute it seems anyone could take pointrs off any team on their day
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

norabeag

Downpatrick great value for the win tonight, even with still having 5/6 regulars injured or unavailable.
Despite the height advantage for the Island Starkey and Turley in particular were immense.
Must be kicking themselves for the bagful of wides and the missed penalty against Warrenpoint.
Smithy will have a real headache re selection when the injured guys come back but not a bad problem to have.

Square Ball

did Saul and Glasdrumman play tonight?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid