Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fíor Gael

Wobbler I wouldn't let you near a team. If the current Down management team have done nothing else at least they have found the best position to get the most out of the undoubtedly talented murtagh. A scoring forward???? How many points has he scored for Down in the championship all together?  Whats his points per game ratio? John Clarkes best position is half forward??? Where did you get that from?? Eoin McCartan hardly likely to be match fit now, is he?? Paul Murphy is a very good club footballer but as he showed in the championship last year he just doesnt cut it at this level. Ronan Sexton at wing back???? Wise up!!!!!

Mourne Rover

1. McVeigh, shades Connell on experience and kick-outs.
2. Cole, our best defender.
3. Grant, decent rather than outstanding, but our only real option.
4. McCartan, will let no one down.
5. Murtagh, the switch to wing-half has gone well.
6. Rooney, a certainty on league form.
7. Clarke, can be erratic but has the ability.
8. Gordon, inconsistent but the only intercounty midfielder in the squad.
9. Coulter, a risk out of position but far from his best up front this season.
10.Sexton, while he may not be big enough, just about deserves a start.
11. Burns, very raw and lacks confidence, but a ball winner with a good left foot.
12. Carr, if others win possession for him, can make an impact.
13. Walsh, possibly his last chance and needs to drop deep.
14. Downey, bit of a gamble but what have we got to lose ?
15. Hughes, automatic choice.

If either Rafferty, Molloy or particulary Doyle were available, I would be very tempted to leave out Walsh and play a seventh defender. Even after his nightmare in Ballybofey, a fully match-fit Eoin McCartan might shade Downey. McGovern is also pretty close, but the big hope has to be McComiskey coming off the bench in the last quarter. It could all go horribly wrong, but we are not without a chance.

thewobbler

No.1 - My point about Galway was that Packie Downey must have made a hell of an impression to force his way into a Championship slot. By all accounts he was good, and he's undoubtedly a handful, but based on what I've seen, I just don't see him as a Championship player (yet).

Fiór Gael, we could argue all day and all night about the virtues of the team I've selected over that which Ross will. But Down's record in the National League this year would suggest that he would be better off copying Paddy O'Rourke's team from last year and trying to get the very best out of them, than persisting with his current offerings. Let's not forget that although Down were a disorganised mess against Donegal, especially woeful at midfield, the individual talent on display still managed to take a very useful Tir Connail side right to the wire.

As for those selections you disagree with:
- Murtagh has pace, skill, determination and can shoot off either foot. He has a pure attacker's instinct. That makes him a more dangerous proposition in the full-forward line than just about any other option we have. Down's struggling defence don't particularly need a player amongst them whose first thoughts are to bomb forward, but they could well use a scoring forward at the other end to remove some of the pressure on them.
- I watch a lot of club football. I've seen John Clarke play at no.6, no.8, no.10 and no.11 for An Riocht, and the further down the field you move him, the less effective he gets. He is a strong athletic lad, but he is not a man-marker by any stretch of the imagination. His greatest asset is his shooting, followed by his ability to find space, followed by his athleticism. In other words, much of what you need from a wing-forward. I really wish people would stop thinking him as a corner-back just because he played there in his minor days.
- I doubt Eoin McCartan will be match fit, well not for 70 minutes of Championship football anyway. He's a very different player to Burns (my second choice) though, and I prefer his style of play. I think he'd be a great foil for Hughes and Murtagh.
- Paul Murphy has played 4 Championship games for Down at wing-back. In 3 of them he excelled (Fermanagh (even though he got red carded), Derry and Cavan). In the other game he ran into one of the finds of the season, Rory Kavanagh, and got a hard time of it. But so did every Down defender that day, destroyed as they were they at midfield. I never in my life would have picked Murph out as a wing-back from his club career, but by and large he has done very well there.
- I've seen a fair bit of Mayobridge over the past 3-4 years, and Ronan Sexton has generally been the oustanding player in their team during that time. The best performances I've seen from him have been at wing-back. I don't need any more evidence than that of where his best position is.

downredblack

I agree that Murtagh has shone at half back but Wobblers point about him being a scoring forward is valid , someone mentioned his points per game ratio for Down , while that might stack up on paper it doesn't take into account "the give it in to Benny" game plan that we have used for a number of years now . He and our other forwards have been living off the scraps from Benny's table. That's why I would have Benny  further out the field  , on the ball as much as possible making and taking chances . Instead of standing in the full forward line waiting for the ball that rarely comes .

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on April 19, 2007, 10:30:45 AM
Murtaghs move to the half back line has been one of the few positives of the year, why change it? We seem to have a problem moving the ball quickly up the field. Murtagh may solve this, after all he is attack minded.

There are so many things wrong with that statement.

Down's problems over the last few years has been finding defenders who can defend. you have often scored heavily and lost games due to a porous defence. both games i saw Murtagh play wing back he compounded this problem. attacked well, chipping in with a couple of points but got very badly exposed defensively and was responsible for the concession of at least twice what he created. armagh have the same problem with aaron kernan and it would never be tolerated only for who he is.
Down certainly have a problem moving the ball quickly up the field. that is because every one of your numbskull "defenders" take every opportunity to toe tap the ball to death. no matter how fast you toe tap the ball its way slower than moving it on. Boy does murtagh like to carry the ball so, again, you are compounding that particular problem.

Johnnie99

Anyone got the results from the MFL played last night?

Heard St Johns beat Kilcoo by 5 or 6 points.

DownFanatic

Johnnie99, that is a superb result for your Minors. Just wondering, have the likes of the Flanangan twins, Ryan Gibney or Gerard McAnulty made the step up to your Seniors yet?

Johnnie99

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 19, 2007, 10:58:07 AM
Johnnie99, that is a superb result for your Minors. Just wondering, have the likes of the Flanangan twins, Ryan Gibney or Gerard McAnulty made the step up to your Seniors yet?

Ryan has made the step up, starred for the 2s last weekend but is only a matter of time before he is a regular for the 1s.  The Flanagn twins will be involved in the setup later in the year I would say, and may just be too soon for McAnulty as I think he is still U16 so cannot make the step up yet.

lecale3

Minor results:

Bredagh beat Teconnaught
Laitroim/Dromara beat Dundrum/Ballykinlar
Carryduff beat Drumaness

off the laces

Keeps 'er' straight

DownFanatic

Redictions for Friday.

Friday 20th April 6:45pm
SFL 1
Atticall v Longstone - Atticall to get first win with a suprise derby victory
Bryansford v Kilcoo - Nip and tuck but Kilcoo's firepower to see them through
Mayobridge v Liatroim - The Bridge to win handy enough
Castlewellan v Burren - Draw. Both teams to cancel each other out
An Riocht v Clonduff - An Riocht squeeze past in the final ten

SFL 2
Ballymartin v Clann Na Banna - Ballymartin to win with some to spare
Downpatrick v Darragh Cross - Close game with Downpatrick coming out on top
Kilclief v Saval - Saval by a cricket score
Ballyholland v Annaclone - Close call. Ballyholland by one
Glasdrumman v Shamrocks - Glasdrumman get a suprise win
Carryduff v Warrenpoint - The Duff break their duck with a fine win

SFL 3
Bright v Tullylish - Tullylish by a couple of points especially if game is played in Killough
Teconnaught v Saul - Saul to get maiden win with a gritty performance
Glenn v Bredagh - Bredagh to go to town on weak Glenn defence
Dundrum v Bosco - No Comment
St. Pauls v Drumgath - Drumgath to hit at least four goals and romp home
Ardglass v Mitchels -Ardglass to grab the two points

SFL 4
Ballykinlar v Aghaderg - Aghaderg to coast to victory at the coast
Dromara v St Johns - Local derby may tighten things up but St Johns will be too good
St Michaels v Aughlisnafin - The Fin may put it up to St Micks for the first 30 seconds but after that it will be all Magherlin.

Bearly on loose

SFL 1
Atticall v Longstone - The Stone by 5
Bryansford v Kilcoo - Kilcoo by 4.
Mayobridge v Liatroim - The Bridge by 6
Castlewellan v Burren - Burren by 2.
An Riocht v Clonduff - An Riocht by 4.

SFL 2
Ballymartin v Clann Na Banna - Ballymartin to win by 5.
Downpatrick v Darragh Cross - Downpatrick by 6.
Kilclief v Saval - Kilclief by 2.
Ballyholland v Annaclone - Ballyholland by 6
Glasdrumman v Shamrocks - Draw.
Carryduff v Warrenpoint - Carryduff by 2.

SFL 3
Bright v Tullylish - Tullylish
Teconnaught v Saul - Saul
Glenn v Bredagh - Bredagh
Dundrum v Bosco - Bosco
St. Pauls v Drumgath - Drumgath
Ardglass v Mitchels -Draw

amallon

SFL 1
Atticall v Longstone - Longstone to win well.  This could be explosive!
Bryansford v Kilcoo - Kilcoo's by 5
Mayobridge v Liatroim - Bridge by 5ish
Castlewellan v Burren - I'd go for Burren but with little conviction
An Riocht v Clonduff - Clonduff

SFL 2
Ballymartin v Clann Na Banna - Ballymartin
Downpatrick v Darragh Cross - Downpatrick
Kilclief v Saval - Saval
Ballyholland v Annaclone - Ballyholland but watch the Clone tackles, dangerous
Glasdrumman v Shamrocks - Shams
Carryduff v Warrenpoint - Point

SFL 3
Bright v Tullylish - Tullylish
Teconnaught v Saul - ???
Glenn v Bredagh - ???
Dundrum v Bosco - Bosco
St. Pauls v Drumgath - Drumgath by loads
Ardglass v Mitchels - Mitchels

SFL 4
Ballykinlar v Aghaderg - Derg
Dromara v St Johns - ??
St Michaels v Aughlisnafin - St Michaels
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Class of 99

I hope everyones optimism regarding Danny Hughes starting is well founded.
Looking at his league campaign I think Ross just doesnt fancy him!
Im hoping he was keeping his powder dry for the championship something
POR never thought of doing. There is no doubt the hard ground will suit his pace and given
the right supply of ball he is worth  scores a game.
Hoping Ross keeps the half bak line the same as the league, as it looked solid and Murtaghs hunger
allowed us win some breaking ball something again lacking under POR.
My team (For what it is worth)
Mcveigh
Mcguiggan
Grant
Cole
Clarke
Rooney
Murtagh
Lynch
Gordon
Sexton
Walsh
Coulter
Hughes
Burns
McComiskey.

Heres hoping we get a few good challenge matched between now and Cavan and
build some much needed confidence.

Fíor Gael

This is the team I would choose, from the panel available and the reasons why:

1. M. McVeigh - Strong kick outs, reliable and a big presence
2. M.Cole - Fast, hard and good on the ball.
3. D. Mc Cartan - It's a problem position, he's the best available.
4. K. McGuigan - Fast and strong, and has to get the nod as D. Raff is injured.
5. R. Murtagh - Has excelled in this role.
6. D. Rooney - I wasn't a fan at the start but he's getting better and more assured with every game.
7. J. Clarke - Coming in to form at the right tim.
8. D Gordan - Getting back to his best and a lot depends on his performances.
9. J Lynch - I think he'll stand up to the challenge, and he has the ability to play a big role.
10. J. Boyle - has the speed, workrate and football brain to hold down this position.
11. M Walsh - Only if he's firing on all cylinders, but this is his best position and it's crucial for brake ball so I hope he finds form.
12. B. Coulter - This position allows Benny to help out the mid field, be involved in the game more without having to wait on others to get the ball into him, orchestrate moves and most importantly run at defences. It's in this position we'll get the most out of our best player.
13. D Hughes - Speed, talent, and a free scoring forward.
14. P. Downey- Big, strong, fast target man with good feet. Bags of ability and back on form after nasty ankle break. Unproven at this level but worth the gamble.
15. P McComiskey - Hasn't even played for Down seniors yet but I feel he could make a big impact, raw pace, surprisingly strong with a low centre of gravity, fearless and plays with a swagger and confidence that has been lacking in Down players for a couple of seasons.