Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

does anyone know when the south down reserve leagues kick off or have a fixture list

No1

Anyone have the same for the East Down Reserve League?

Superstar

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 02, 2010, 12:18:37 PM
does anyone know when the south down reserve leagues kick off or have a fixture list

Does anyone have any South Down fixtures??????

I got an e-mail today informing me that as section C has 10 teams in the under 14 league, they were going to have to start leagues early and our first game will be on Sunday 21st March. Have to start early???? heaven forbid young fellas in the county got to play football for a proper season, no instead in south Down leagues are run off as quickly as possible, seemingly to get them out of the way. And then people wonder why teams struggle to entice lads away from soccer, absolute joke!!!!!!!!
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

thewobbler

Houl back a wee second Superstar and have a think about what you're saying.

It isn't possible to have evening fixtures apart from between mid-April to mid-September.

Given u-8, u-10, u-14, u-16, minor, reserve and senior, I'd like you to count the number of clubs in Down that have pitches capable of supporting 4-5 games a weekend in Spring or Autumn, as well as the training that should go along with those matches. For simplicity, we'll not even bother with Hurling, Camogie or Ladies GAA.

GAA administrators have no choice but to run leagues off as early as possible. For you can guarantee that once the clubs get involved, there'll be postponements every drop of the hat, and they'll be sitting in mid-October with half the clubs not interested anymore and the other half unable to host matches. Nevermind players having school commitments at that time of year.

When floodlights and G4 pitches are as common as in the GAA as the bemoaners and the begrudgers currently are, your frankly pointless tirade might hold some water.

13aside

congrats to st.colemans tonight as they won their semi-final of this years McCrory cup.They got off to a blistering start with two goals but were pegged back to level terms at the break.A good last 15 mins saw them safley through by 2:09 to 1:08.

Superstar

Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2010, 09:51:38 PM
Houl back a wee second Superstar and have a think about what you're saying.

It isn't possible to have evening fixtures apart from between mid-April to mid-September.

Given u-8, u-10, u-14, u-16, minor, reserve and senior, I'd like you to count the number of clubs in Down that have pitches capable of supporting 4-5 games a weekend in Spring or Autumn, as well as the training that should go along with those matches. For simplicity, we'll not even bother with Hurling, Camogie or Ladies GAA.

GAA administrators have no choice but to run leagues off as early as possible. For you can guarantee that once the clubs get involved, there'll be postponements every drop of the hat, and they'll be sitting in mid-October with half the clubs not interested anymore and the other half unable to host matches. Nevermind players having school commitments at that time of year.

When floodlights and G4 pitches are as common as in the GAA as the bemoaners and the begrudgers currently are, your frankly pointless tirade might hold some water.

Well as under 8's and 10's have no league structures and will not be using pitches  for games in the evening time during the week we can take them out of your arguement, under 12's play on a sunday morning, so no call to include them either and reserves also play on a sunday so no need to worry about them uisng pitches in the evenings either.

As you pointed out we can only really use our pitches at night from mid april to mid september, fair enough point, i totally agree, but what we are talking baout here is one division being started early to get it run off as soon as possible as i have said. Now consider this, last year despite numerous games being postponed all over the place, the final game in south down under 14 section c was played between Clann na Banna and Glasdsrumman on Tuesday 4th August. So therefore by youre own admission 6 weeks shy of when the leagues could possibly go on to. In that case why would the board see fit to decide that the section needs to be started early to get the first two rounds fitted in when we have 6 weeks to spare at the other end?

thewobbler

QuoteWell as under 8's and 10's have no league structures and will not be using pitches  for games in the evening time during the week we can take them out of your arguement, under 12's play on a sunday morning, so no call to include them either and reserves also play on a sunday so no need to worry about them uisng pitches in the evenings either.
But this is my point star. U-12s and Reserves (sometimes 2 teams) are already out at the weekends. To stretch the juvenile football season would mean more teams again playing at weekends in March, September and October. This isn't feasible for most club grounds.

Regarding the 4th August end to ED u-14 leagues, I can't really understand why that happened. It is too early. I'm pretty sure all the Juvenile leagues our club were involved in went onto September (but I'm probably wrong!)

But I imagine that u-14 Championship action, tournament/feis action and the ever-increasing need for nights for Senior Championship fixtures probably filled a lot of the void.

Brick Tamlin

so nobody has a set of fixtures for south down reserve leagues then or even a breakdown of the league and teams

spiritof91and94

Anyone know much about the under 21 team this year?
Cannot believe our senior full back of last season, Brian King, has not even made the panel (to date)

6th sam

Quote from: thewobbler on March 02, 2010, 11:20:20 PM
QuoteWell as under 8's and 10's have no league structures and will not be using pitches  for games in the evening time during the week we can take them out of your arguement, under 12's play on a sunday morning, so no call to include them either and reserves also play on a sunday so no need to worry about them uisng pitches in the evenings either.
But this is my point star. U-12s and Reserves (sometimes 2 teams) are already out at the weekends. To stretch the juvenile football season would mean more teams again playing at weekends in March, September and October. This isn't feasible for most club grounds.

Regarding the 4th August end to ED u-14 leagues, I can't really understand why that happened. It is too early. I'm pretty sure all the Juvenile leagues our club were involved in went onto September (but I'm probably wrong!)

But I imagine that u-14 Championship action, tournament/feis action and the ever-increasing need for nights for Senior Championship fixtures probably filled a lot of the void.

That's SD u14 league.In ED u14 "A" league last year we had 7 league matches in total.We also had only 2 championship matches.Giving us no competitive football for 85% of weeks in the year.
I don't accept your argument wobbler,we have access to only 1 pitch, have 12 teams,and is often used by schools and county teams.The pitch wear caused by u14 matches in spring/summer is negligible-especially since training and drills often take more out of a pitch than matches.

The semi-rigid fixture list associated with the AC structure in ACFL and ACPRFL in providing football from March to October,though imperfect-should be achievable  for all other teams.
I would advocate a scenario whereby the divisional boards aim to provide weekly football at an appropriate level for all clubs (13-a-side C leagues,if necessary) ,and when u12,u14,u16,u18 leagues and championship complete,introduce u11,u13,u15,and ?u17 leagues in August/September-25 minutes only each way to allow underage midweek matches to extend in to September.This would mean that in any calender year all kids get a chance to play regardless of their age group.This would ensure very few players slip through the GAA net.

DownFanatic

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on March 03, 2010, 02:08:21 PM
Cannot believe our senior full back of last season, Brian King, has not even made the panel (to date)

They were beat in the Shamrock Cup Final by Monaghan afaik. They had previously beaten Tyrone and Antrim to get that far.

Brian King should be on the panel. Was also suprised at the omission of Gerard McAnulty from St Johns. One of the best players Id seen in action last year.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 03, 2010, 02:45:23 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on March 03, 2010, 02:08:21 PM

They were beat in the Shamrock Cup Final by Monaghan afaik. They had previously beaten Tyrone and Antrim to get that far.

Brian King should be on the panel. Was also suprised at the omission of Gerard McAnulty from St Johns. One of the best players Id seen in action last year.

Gerard McAnulty is now onto the panel. Was at the game on Sunday and Down where awful. Collins decided to use players who hadnt yet featured in earlier games instead off picking his strongest side. Basically he was still trialing squad members.  In my view Ryan Mallon and Brian King should be included. I believe Sundays result would have been closer with the likes off Paul Devlin, Damian Turley, Barry Kane, Kieran Gordan, Ryan Boyle, Sean Murdock and Ryan McGovern on from the start.

down6061689194

Drumaness Minors looking a friendly, No pitch at the minute so will travel.

Get in Touch.

Superstar

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 03, 2010, 09:24:36 AM
so nobody has a set of fixtures for south down reserve leagues then or even a breakdown of the league and teams

Fixtures to be released in the next couple of days apparently

Superstar

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 03, 2010, 09:24:36 AM

McAvoy Construction LLP

Reserve League Fixtures Section A

Round One
Glassdrumman         v         Longstone    
Shamrocks         v         Rostrevor    
St Michaels         v         Glenn    
Burren    Bye                   

Round Two
Glenn         v         Burren    
Rostrevor         v         St Michaels    
Longstone         v         Shamrocks    
Glassdrumman    Bye                   

Round Three
Shamrocks         v         Glassdrumman    
St Michaels         v         Longstone    
Burren         v         Rostrevor    
Glenn    Bye                   

Round Four
Rostrevor         v         Glenn    
Longstone         v         Burren    
Glassdrumman         v         St Michaels    
Shamrocks    Bye                   

Round Five
St Michaels         v         Shamrocks    
Burren         v         Glassdrumman    
Glenn         v         Longstone    
Rostrevor    Bye                   

Round Six
Longstone         v         Rostrevor    
Glassdrumman         v         Glenn    
Shamrocks         v         Burren    
St Michaels    Bye                   

Round Seven
Burren         v         St Michaels    
Glenn         v         Shamrocks    
Rostrevor         v         Glassdrumman    
Longstone    Bye                   

Round Eight
Longstone         v         Glassdrumman    
Rostrevor         v         Shamrocks    
Glenn         v         St Michaels    
Burren    Bye                   

Round Nine
Burren         v         Glenn    
St Michaels         v         Rostrevor    
Shamrocks         v         Longstone    
Glassdrumman    Bye                   

Round Ten
Glassdrumman         v         Shamrocks    
Longstone         v         St Michaels    
Rostrevor         v         Burren    
Glenn    Bye                   

Round Eleven
Glenn         v         Rostrevor    
Burren         v         Longstone    
  St Michaels         v         Glassdrumman    
Shamrocks    Bye                   

Round Twelve
Shamrocks         v         St Michaels    
Glassdrumman         v         Burren    
Longstone         v         Glenn    
Rostrevor    Bye                   

RoundThirteen
Rostrevor         v         Longstone    
Glenn         v         Glassdrumman    
Burren         v         Shamrocks    
St Michaels    Bye                   

Round Fourteen
St Michaels         v         Burren    
Shamrocks         v         Glenn    
Glassdrumman         v         Rostrevor    
Longstone    Bye