Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 23, 2010, 02:46:21 PM
Hopefully James will go with McVeigh as his number one keeper for the league, but he has a great reserve keeper in Alder. McVeigh has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years and has probably been Downs best player over the last two years. Depending on how the league goes Alder could get a run out towards the end of the campaign.

I am afraid that I have to disagree with this.  Although Brendan McVeigh has indeed improved, it has not been by the "leaps and bounds" that you assert.  Like yourself, I have been to all of the games in recent years and I have observed his lack of good communication with the players in front of him which often led either directly or indirectly to conceding a goal.  He has been the goalkeeper during a period of arguably the biggest number of goals conceded for any Down team.  Unfortunately the stats do not lie  :'(

dundrumite

Quote from: western exile on January 23, 2010, 03:09:29 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 23, 2010, 02:46:21 PM
Hopefully James will go with McVeigh as his number one keeper for the league, but he has a great reserve keeper in Alder. McVeigh has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years and has probably been Downs best player over the last two years. Depending on how the league goes Alder could get a run out towards the end of the campaign.

I am afraid that I have to disagree with this.  Although Brendan McVeigh has indeed improved, it has not been by the "leaps and bounds" that you assert.  Like yourself, I have been to all of the games in recent years and I have observed his lack of good communication with the players in front of him which often led either directly or indirectly to conceding a goal.  He has been the goalkeeper during a period of arguably the biggest number of goals conceded for any Down team.  Unfortunately the stats do not lie  :'(

They may not lie but they don't exactly tell the whole truth either.  It is impossible to judge a keeper exclusively on how many goals he concedes,  the role of the defence would be huge in these stats.

Trevor Hill

I was critical of McVeigh at one stage, very critical in fact. But he has improved a lot over the last two years. Lets be honest he hasnt exactly got the best defence in the country playing in front of him and at times has been left literally as the last line of defence. I will have to disagree with you on his communication. He never shuts up during a game.
You could also say that he has been the goalkeeper during the period of arguably the least goals scored by any Down team, hardly his fault. While he is no Mickey McVeigh, he is still the best we have, but we have finally got the right number two keeper in Down in Alder, the man who I think (hope) will be around for a long time and will take over as our number 1 in the not too distant future.

Mid Down Gael

under 21 friendly result from today

Down 0-14 Fermanagh 2-8.

13aside

Good luck to wee James and Down today,Derry will pose a tough examination-but sof ar so good.

Dubh driocht

Good result in the freezing cold.
Thought Ambrose, Aidan Carr and Mc Comiskey were the pick, good to win without Benny .Alder was yella for their goal- no use in a keeper.
Another good result was kildare getting 3 straight reds, includimg John Doyle.

Trevor Hill

Is that Doyle out for our visit to Newbridge?

Dubh driocht

If it's 4 weeks for a straight red, it is.

down desperado

has the venue for wednesday nights game with donegal been decided yet.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 24, 2010, 06:45:29 PM
Good result in the freezing cold.
Thought Ambrose, Aidan Carr and Mc Comiskey were the pick, good to win without Benny .Alder was yella for their goal- no use in a keeper.

Saw the goals on youtube. He definitely should have cleared it, but the Derry keeper should also have done better after saving Clarkes penalty. http://www.youtube.com/user/UlsterGAA

down desperado

I saw the clips as well TH. Both keepers should have done better alright, Alder in particular was disappointing, its not like him, he is usually pretty steady. Id still give him the benefit of the doubt, though but i think Mcveigh is first cchoice regardless.

In the Onion Bag

How did Kilcoo Minors do today v Omagh?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on January 24, 2010, 07:56:44 PM

Beat by a point after extra time.

Both teams looked very rusty.
i usse an speelchekor

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 24, 2010, 08:08:32 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on January 24, 2010, 07:56:44 PM

Beat by a point after extra time.

Both teams looked very rusty.

I disagree. You have to realise this was 16-18 year old lads playing on a very heavy pitch in winter conditions. To say they where rusty is wrong as they have been training and playing since February 2009. Yeah fatigue did set in with a number off players but that has to be expected this time off the year on heavy ground especially on young fellas not fully developed. This was a tight entertaining final off hard physical stuff and it is a credit to both teams for giving so much especially in extra time. Our lads where unlucky, they gave a great account off themselves and too many wides in the first half made us pay dearly. They can hold their heads high. 9 off the first 15 are still underage for the incoming year so this was a young Kilcoo team who will have benefited from their great run. The difference today was two great young Omagh players in Conan Grugan and Ronan ONeill. Grugan in particular is a supreme talent.

cloneman

Quote from: down desperado on January 24, 2010, 06:51:02 PM
has the venue for wednesday nights game with donegal been decided yet.

I've heard its in Omagh