Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

I wouldnt dismiss the Kerry " county " championship format at all. But it is not the amalgamation of junior clubs some on this thread think.

The " county" championship is the main event down there not the " club" championship. Clubs where they are strong enough - laune rangers/ dr crokes etc enter the "county" championship but those just below amalgamate eg listowel/finuge  come together as feale rangers. most of the amalgamated clubs have their own tradition and it would be hard to recreate that . Few good players go unnoticed ...   mind you they only got donaghy via the underdogs.

down desperado

Quote from: marsbarkid on January 10, 2010, 04:31:20 PM
I was also wondering is there any dates pencilled in yet for the start of the leagues this year? ACFL Div 4 + EDRL would be of particular interest to me. Also there r now 9 teams in Div 4 this year, does anyone know if there will b 3 rounds (24) or just 2 rounds (16) of games this year for us? Just heard St.Johns r entering a 3rds team in EDRL this yr, can any of the St.Johns posters confirm that?
i havent heard any word either i would be keen to find out when div 3 is expected to start

down desperado

hopefully the leagues all start around the first sunday in march, before switching to friday nights when the evenings get brighter. That might mean they finish on time this year. Might be a problem with the national league programme but a few of downs games are on saturday evenings this year i think.

DownFanatic

Interesting to see that St Johns are possibly going to field a 3rds team in the EDRFL. Its a big undertaking as most teams in the EDRFL can just about get 15 boys out on the field on a Sunday evening.

thewobbler

There's no point in playing games in March desperado. Aside from the conflicts with National League, Under-21s, Sigerson and Schools football (which all take place at weekends), recent history tells you that not many pitches are fit for it. One big storm washes out a whole series of fixtures - and if you think it's difficult enough to finish fixtures on time as things stand, throw in a couple of extra cancelled series, and you're looking at a neverending league.

The easiest way to remove congestion is to play every Friday night from April to September regardless of County progress, and also have at least 3 full (compulsory) Monday night series over the period when nights are longest from mid-May to the the end of June.

down desperado

i think it would be worth trying wobbler, september is a disaster of a month for club football, there are no fixtures on sundays because of county boards reluctance to play on all ireand football and hurling finals, the county final is usually on in sept as well. The ulster club cship starts at end of sept usually as well leading to more rearranged games as well. I think glenn suffered in particular last season in particular.

mournerambler

Quote from: down desperado on January 10, 2010, 09:37:30 PM
i think it would be worth trying wobbler, september is a disaster of a month for club football, there are no fixtures on sundays because of county boards reluctance to play on all ireand football and hurling finals, the county final is usually on in sept as well. The ulster club cship starts at end of sept usually as well leading to more rearranged games as well. I think glenn suffered in particular last season in particular.

I think your slightly off the mark there dd, it would be totally mad to play games on AIF days & I doubt very much if clubs would buy it anyway, after all the AIF's are one of the main highlights of the season for the association.
Also the county final is played in October as well as the Ulster club championship.

down desperado

i didnt suggest playing league games on all ireland final days, i just pointed out that they tend to disrupt the league programme. And when league games stretch into october {which they regulary do} they clash with with club finals, ulster  club championships etc, meaning that the playoff games  are often delayed, re arranged and played in dreadful conditions in late october early november.

amallon

There will be division 1 games every Friday from Easter from what I hear.  I'd assume the lower divisions would be the same.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

D4S

Quote from: dundrumite on January 10, 2010, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: D4S on January 10, 2010, 09:06:36 AM
LONGSTONE GAC
'FIGHT NIGHT'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MALACHY TRAINOR –v- PAUL TRIMBLE

CONNAIRE HARRISON –v- CONOR POLAND

ADRIAN TRAINOR –v- MARK HARRISON

PETER FITZPATRICK –v- RYAN KELLY

JOHN PAUL HAUGHIAN –v- COLLIE BURDEN

BRENDAN McVEIGH –v- JOHN TRAINOR

AIDAN POLAND –v- BARRY KELLY

ADRIAN DORAN –v- KIERAN DORAN

JOHN CLARKE –v- MARK POLAND

PAT MALLON –v- EAMON QUINN

FRIDAY 22nd JANUARY 2010 – LONGSTONE HALL

TICKETS £10 – FIRST FIGHT 8.30pm – DISCO TO FOLLOW FINAL FIGHT

Admission is by ticket only and can be obtained from Ashleen Poland & Mark Doran
Will also be on sale in the Longstone Hall between 8.30pm-9.00pm
Tuesday 12th January & Tuesday 19th January 2010 & Thursday 21st January 2010

Hope some of you can make it!

Is that the one and only narrow hips?

The one and only!!

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

charlieTully

Quote from: D4S on January 11, 2010, 09:45:58 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on January 10, 2010, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: D4S on January 10, 2010, 09:06:36 AM
LONGSTONE GAC
'FIGHT NIGHT'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MALACHY TRAINOR –v- PAUL TRIMBLE

CONNAIRE HARRISON –v- CONOR POLAND

ADRIAN TRAINOR –v- MARK HARRISON

PETER FITZPATRICK –v- RYAN KELLY

JOHN PAUL HAUGHIAN –v- COLLIE BURDEN

BRENDAN McVEIGH –v- JOHN TRAINOR

AIDAN POLAND –v- BARRY KELLY

ADRIAN DORAN –v- KIERAN DORAN

JOHN CLARKE –v- MARK POLAND

PAT MALLON –v- EAMON QUINN

FRIDAY 22nd JANUARY 2010 – LONGSTONE HALL

TICKETS £10 – FIRST FIGHT 8.30pm – DISCO TO FOLLOW FINAL FIGHT

Admission is by ticket only and can be obtained from Ashleen Poland & Mark Doran
Will also be on sale in the Longstone Hall between 8.30pm-9.00pm
Tuesday 12th January & Tuesday 19th January 2010 & Thursday 21st January 2010

Hope some of you can make it!

Is that the one and only narrow hips?

The one and only!!

some security needed for that night.

charlieTully

surprised jason brown was not selected for the down panal, anyone see him at the trials?

DownFanatic

The police officer who was seriously injured in a car bomb attack in Co. Antrim on Friday played his club football with St. Paul's GAC in Holywood, Co. Down.

The dissident republican group Oglaigh na hEireann has admitted responsibility for the attempted murder of Constable Peadar Heffron near his home in Randalstown. The 33-year-old, who remained in a critical condition in hospital last night, was the captain of the PSNI's Gaelic football team and was also a playing member of the St. Paul's club in Holywood.

A spokesman for the club said: "St. Paul's confirms that Peadar has been a registered playing member of the club for the past two seasons.

"The committee, on behalf of the membership and players, extend their thoughts and prayers to Peadar and his family at this most distressing time."

No1

QuoteQuote from: No1 on January 04, 2010, 10:37:20 PM
Bright - Skin Hanna

DF, that's interesting.  He musta got sick of the foreign game.  Where did ya hear that?

A well placed source.

Mr Hanna and DJ Morgan looking after Ballykinlar as far as I know.  Outta the frying pan into the fire!   ;D

DownFanatic

Quote from: No1 on January 14, 2010, 10:48:19 AM
QuoteQuote from: No1 on January 04, 2010, 10:37:20 PM
Bright - Skin Hanna

DF, that's interesting.  He musta got sick of the foreign game.  Where did ya hear that?

A well placed source.

Mr Hanna and DJ Morgan looking after Ballykinlar as far as I know.  Outta the frying pan into the fire!   ;D

Theres poisoned chalices and then there is Ballykinlar...