Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It is a bit hard to believe that Murney has gone - is there a chance that he has declared for Jordanstown in the McKenna Cup and may be back later ? Turley has not really had a fair chance at full back, but, assuming he has soccer commitments with Downpatrick FC, he could also feature in the new year.

The no. 3 jersey looks up for grabs in any case.  McKernan is much more comfortable further out the field, and McCartan has the experience but not the size. Garvey is the most likely choice in January , but Parr certainly deserves a look as well.

charlieTully

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 02, 2009, 10:21:01 PM
Just noticing John Boyle, Peter Turley and Colm Murney are another 3 players along with Jackie and Fegan who where regulars under Rosss have been omitted under wee James. I really believe James has laid down a good marker with his first squad. Promising times lie ahead hopefully. Tally, McIvor, James and Jerome Johnston appear to me to be the dream ticket even at this early stage, i hope they turn out to be after 3 years under a poor management team.

a dream ticket?? they have not played a single fukcin game, take a step back ffs, totally getting carried away with yourself. we have won nothing.

lfdown2

Quote from: charlieTully on December 03, 2009, 10:52:36 AM
Just noticing John Boyle, Peter Turley and Colm Murney are another 3 players along with Jackie and Fegan who where regulars under Rosss have been omitted under wee James. I really believe James has laid down a good marker with his first squad. Promising times lie ahead hopefully. Tally, McIvor, James and Jerome Johnston appear to me to be the dream ticket even at this early stage, i hope they turn out to be after 3 years under a poor management team.

a dream ticket?? they have not played a single fukcin game, take a step back ffs, totally getting carried away with yourself. we have won nothing.

there are kilcoo lads on the panel hence the dream... ;D

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: lfdown2 on December 03, 2009, 11:57:41 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 03, 2009, 10:52:36 AM

there are kilcoo lads on the panel hence the dream... ;D

aswell as the management! ;D

downredblack

Right , whats our 6 best backs outta that lot ?

spiritof91and94

Get the hotels booked quick.... ;D

dundrumite

Quote from: downredblack on December 03, 2009, 01:00:13 PM

Where is the full back out of that? Sean Parr?
Surprised Niall Mc Evoy not included, impressed me any time I viewed him in action (on the big stage).

gorm agus bui

Quote from: downredblack on December 03, 2009, 01:00:13 PM
well I'd imagine Turley and Murney would be among the best 6 backs

Brick Tamlin

but they aint on that list. Cant agree with Murney being among 6 best backs.
best 6 id say are probably
Aidan Brannigan
Declan Rooney
Conor Garvey
Mark Doran
Kieran Mc Govern
Damian Rafferty/Martin Cole.

to be honest the squad doesnt really fill me full of confidence but then again there aint alot more out there other than that.

True Blue

i can see the logic in having a big panel before the national league so that players that have impressed in trials can test themselves against other counties to see if their inclusion is worthy.

i may be looking through my blue tinted glasses guys but having watched a lot of div. 1 football last year John Boyle must be in the top 44 players in the county. the point def didnt set the world on fire last year but he led the line well for the point at half back or at half forward ( half back being his best position imo) he would be on a par if not better than the players highlighted

defence
Martin Cole, Stevie Toner, Dan McCartan, Liam Lennon, Kevin Duffin, Declan Rooney, Kieran McGovern, Damien Rafferty, Aidan Brannigan, Mark Doran, Paul Murphy, Gerard McCartan, Conor Garvey, Sean Parr, Kevin McKernan,

attack
Conor Maginn, Brendan McArdle, Martin Clarke, Mark Poland, Ronan Sexton, Danny Hughes, Stephen Kearney, Aidan Carr, James McGovern, Paul McComiskey, Benny Coulter, Conor Laverty, John Clarke, Ronan Murtagh & Michael Magee.

as i have said i feel he is a defender hence more defenders highlighted i dont think he could muscle into the forward line

food for thought.
maybe he didnt stand out in trials but he did play in the last 1
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

DownFanatic

From the looks of it lads, our defence is still going to be our weak link this year.

Brick Tamlin

id tend to agree about Boyle. Definitely a useful panel member with versatility. Powers that be obviosuly dont rate him. Turley is a glaring omission too. Somewhat surprised by Gerard Mc Cartan from Burren, decent club player and again quite versatile but didnt think he would be county material. Time will tell.

DownFan2010

I was at 3 county trials, and McAreavy from tullylish impressed at all 3, his array of passing really set him apart from some others and he can feel hard done by. Think Dan McCartan deserves his place, but tone will tell

DownFanatic

Quote from: DownFan2010 on December 03, 2009, 03:09:23 PM
I was at 3 county trials, and McAreavy from tullylish impressed at all 3, his array of passing really set him apart from some others and he can feel hard done by. Think Dan McCartan deserves his place, but tone will tell

McAreavey wouldn't be able to mix it in the physical stakes of intercounty football in my opinion. Id say that is the reason for his omission.

A great free taker and an intelligent playmaker though.

Catchit

Id say if Murney has a decent campaign with UUJ, he will be about the league panel. Dunno if agree with you there Downfanatic regarding McAreavey. Sure the only chance he got, he took it, scoring 2-3 on his debut! There must have been a fall out with Ross somewhere. Any time Ive seen him, he looks to have the strength and fitness to handle the demands of inter-county football.