Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out in Front

We've the panel and a few words from James today (Wednesday) on the back of the Newry Reporter

CHB1

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 01, 2009, 06:32:16 PM
Quote from: supersub on December 01, 2009, 04:06:55 PM
Any word on the down panel?

T OHare got that correct. Panel off 45 there last night with under 21s not considered at this stage. Mickey Magee is stil involved although Jackie Lynch, John Fegan and Jason Brown are not selected. By the sounds off it Mickey Walsh will be the bridges 4th representative when recovered from a recent operation. Burren having six men is a joke.

Any Clonduff players make the panel?

6th sam

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 01, 2009, 09:05:24 PM
Quote from: norabeag on December 01, 2009, 08:59:52 PM
When is asap
There is a good colour photo in RGU clubrooms I think

The next few days would be grand, tomorrow would be superb.

Also, anybody have pictures of the Red High's 1977 All Ireland B winning team and the St Malachys, Castlewellan, 1982 All Ireland Vocational Schools champs and the Down Junior team of 1946 that won the All Ireland JFC?

pm me re The Redhigh picture,if u can't get it

Brick Tamlin

can someone post up the article and the panel from the paper if possible please.

No1

Come on Out in Front, give us the squad at least.

Promise I'll buy the paper later  :)

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 01, 2009, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: Eartotheground on December 01, 2009, 07:44:34 PM
Any word if theres many bryansford players

Timmy Hanna, Conor Maginn and Stephen Toner

Would Hanna not be going with UUJ?

charlieTully

Quote from: Eartotheground on December 01, 2009, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 01, 2009, 09:24:23 PM
Quote from: The Worker on December 01, 2009, 09:01:01 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on December 01, 2009, 08:39:57 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 01, 2009, 07:41:56 PM
Frank Dawson has indeed replaced Barton at Burren.
I think he will do well there.

im guessing the 6 Burren men on county are:
1 Ciaran Mc Govern.
2 Declan Rooney
3 James Mc Govern.
4 Kevin Mc Kernan.
5 Our Daniel?
6 AN OTHER?

McCartan is only in the job two minutes and idiots like you have already started the nepotism theories.

It was the same with Aidan Carr. He's only there because his dad his the manager. Heard that type of bollocks time and time again.

Unfortunately, your one of the Down supporters who probably want us to fail and no doubt when Dan McCartan gets his first taste of action you will be playing your nepotism card again.

Arsehole.

P.S - Anyone have a picture of the 1987 Down All Ireland Minor team. Need it ASAP.

Well said. Daniel is def. worth his place in the squad.

Time will tell weather he is good enough. He had a poor enough year for Burren but if he can rediscover his tight marking strengths from his QUB days then he will be an addition. Against us 3 times this year he strugged badly. I hope he delivers as the Down defence needs improvement. I really think Ross shouldnt have dropped Daniel after 2008 as he done ok. Maybe he lost confidence from this.

In fairness the defence has been a real weak link this past 5years or so, why not give him a chance.... who are the kilcoo one's

has he not already had several chances?

thegael

Obviously he is one of the stand out defenders in the county for his club last year !!

the gael takes no prisoners!!

thewobbler

From someone on the Hogan Stand:

Brendan McVeigh, Decky Alder, Ciaran Gordan, Michael McAllister Martin Cole, Stevie Toner, Dan McCartan, Liam Lennon, Kevin Duffin, Declan Rooney, Kieran McGovern, Damien Rafferty, Aidan Brannigan, Mark Doran, Paul Murphy, Gerard McCartan, Conor Garvey, Sean Parr, Kevin McKernan, James Colgan, Timmy Hanna, liam Doyle, Darren Cunningham, Dan Gordan, Ambrose Rodgers, Paul Greenan, Martin McClean, Peter Fitzpatrick, Kevin Anderson, Conor Maginn, Brendan McArdle, Martin Clarke, Mark Poland, Ronan Sexton, Danny Hughes, Stephen Kearney, Aidan Carr, James McGovern, Paul McComiskey, Benny Coulter, Conor Laverty, John Clarke, Ronan Murtagh & Michael Magee.

guevara

mmmmm few strange inclusions there!
why do we need four goalkeepers in the panel?
6 Burren men?
No John Fegan who was a starter last year?
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Out in Front

For those who live too far away to get the Newry Reporter, a few selected quotes from James McCartan -

"We have this number of players involved at this stage [44] but we have to downsize for the National League at the beginning of February so we have to get the panel down to 36," said McCartan.
"Obviously we'll want to win our Dr McKenna Cup games but we will be trying players out and give them an opportunity to prove themselves.
"A limited number of players can be named on the McKenna Cup panel so basically we'll be having a trial game before the start of the McKenna Cup and if we don't get through in the McKenna we'll certainly be having a trial at the end of it and that potentially will be six games where we'll be trying to give everyone a fair chance. Between now and National League everyone will get a fair crack."

"There are some players who made themselves unavailable for various reasons, which was disappointing but you have to respect their decision and perhaps somewhere down the line they may be interested again."
McCartan acknowledged that along with Paddy Tally and Brian McIvor, they've had a good response to what they have been doing so far.
"Well I hope it's been positive, it seems to have been from where we are sitting," he said. "But I suppose the proof in the pudding will be when that panel goes out and people get a look at it and decide if we've got the players on board to move forward or not."

Down Squad - Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht), Declan Alder (Carryduff), Ciaran Gordon (Loughinisland), Michael McAlister (Clan na Banna), Martin Cole (Rostrevor), Stevie Toner (Bryansford), Dan McCartan (Burren), Liam Lennon (Castlewellan), Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan), Declan Rooney (Burren), Kieran McGovern (Burren), Damien Rafferty (Shamrocks), Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo), Mark Doran (Longstone), Paul Murphy (Ballyholland), Gerard McCartan (Burren), Conor Garvey (Mayobridge), Sean Parr (Rostrevor), Kevin McKernan (Burren), James Colgan (An Riocht), Timmy Hanna (Bryansford), Liam Doyle (Liatroim), Darren Cunningham (Saval), Dan Gordon (Loughinisland), Ambrose Rogers (Longstone), Paul Greenan (Kilcoo), Martin McClean (Kilcoo), Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin), Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg), Conor Maginn (Bryansford), Brendan McArdle (Annaclone), Martin Clarke (An Riocht), Mark Poland (Longstone), Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge), Danny Hughes (Saval), Stephen Kearney (Saval), Aidan Carr (Clonduff), James McGovern (Burren), Paul McCumiskey (Dundrum)
Benny Coulter (Mayobridge), Conor Laverty (Kilcoo), John Clarke (An Riocht), Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland), Michael Magee (Ardglass).

Lecale2

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 02, 2009, 05:31:00 PM
4 from An Riocht?

Deservedly so in my view. 3 top players in Colgan and the two Clarkes while McVeigh is a first class keeper.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Out in Front on December 02, 2009, 05:02:33 PM
For those who live too far away to get the Newry Reporter, a few selected quotes from James McCartan -

"We have this number of players involved at this stage [44] but we have to downsize for the National League at the beginning of February so we have to get the panel down to 36," said McCartan.
"Obviously we'll want to win our Dr McKenna Cup games but we will be trying players out and give them an opportunity to prove themselves.
"A limited number of players can be named on the McKenna Cup panel so basically we'll be having a trial game before the start of the McKenna Cup and if we don't get through in the McKenna we'll certainly be having a trial at the end of it and that potentially will be six games where we'll be trying to give everyone a fair chance. Between now and National League everyone will get a fair crack."

"There are some players who made themselves unavailable for various reasons, which was disappointing but you have to respect their decision and perhaps somewhere down the line they may be interested again."
McCartan acknowledged that along with Paddy Tally and Brian McIvor, they've had a good response to what they have been doing so far.
"Well I hope it's been positive, it seems to have been from where we are sitting," he said. "But I suppose the proof in the pudding will be when that panel goes out and people get a look at it and decide if we've got the players on board to move forward or not."

Down Squad - Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht), Declan Alder (Carryduff), Ciaran Gordon (Loughinisland), Michael McAlister (Clan na Banna), Martin Cole (Rostrevor), Stevie Toner (Bryansford), Dan McCartan (Burren), Liam Lennon (Castlewellan), Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan), Declan Rooney (Burren), Kieran McGovern (Burren), Damien Rafferty (Shamrocks), Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo), Mark Doran (Longstone), Paul Murphy (Ballyholland), Gerard McCartan (Burren), Conor Garvey (Mayobridge), Sean Parr (Rostrevor), Kevin McKernan (Burren), James Colgan (An Riocht), Timmy Hanna (Bryansford), Liam Doyle (Liatroim), Darren Cunningham (Saval), Dan Gordon (Loughinisland), Ambrose Rogers (Longstone), Paul Greenan (Kilcoo), Martin McClean (Kilcoo), Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin), Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg), Conor Maginn (Bryansford), Brendan McArdle (Annaclone), Martin Clarke (An Riocht), Mark Poland (Longstone), Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge), Danny Hughes (Saval), Stephen Kearney (Saval), Aidan Carr (Clonduff), James McGovern (Burren), Paul McCumiskey (Dundrum)
Benny Coulter (Mayobridge), Conor Laverty (Kilcoo), John Clarke (An Riocht), Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland), Michael Magee (Ardglass).

Surprised to see Kieran Gordan named as no other under 21s have got a trial. Strong panel selected by we James and co. Competition for places on the squad will be fierce and with a half dozen under 21 hopefuls stil to be considered at a later stage. Shamrocks are well down on their representatives under the new management.

Mid Down Gael

Just noticing John Boyle, Peter Turley and Colm Murney are another 3 players along with Jackie and Fegan who where regulars under Rosss have been omitted under wee James. I really believe James has laid down a good marker with his first squad. Promising times lie ahead hopefully. Tally, McIvor, James and Jerome Johnston appear to me to be the dream ticket even at this early stage, i hope they turn out to be after 3 years under a poor management team.