Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Neil Collins is the new U-21 manager with Tom 'Harry' Potter, Paddy Hardy and Brendan McKernan in his backroom team.

The Minor management has also been re-appointed for a sixth term.

Any posters attend the annual Christmas Pantomine otherwise known as the East Down Convention?

Lecale2

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 25, 2009, 04:29:42 PM

Any posters attend the annual Christmas Pantomine otherwise known as the East Down Convention?

Hurling Convention is tonight. Same circus, different clowns.

down6061689194

Quote from: thegael on November 25, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
I have to  wonder what experience of managing teams he has?

how many matches he actually goes to?

is he a member of the gaa?

what coaching qualifications he has?

Would a similar appointment be made in Tyrone?
1He hasn't managed anything other than possibly an underage side.
2The relevance of that is questioable, bodering on ridiculous.
3 Definatley See above
4 I'm not 100% sure but if he gets experience thats as much qualification as anything.
5 Not too sure, why don't you follow them instead if they're so well Run.

Anytime Ive talked to him he's got opinions about Down football, and I believe he watched the U21 AIF. Tom Potter is a decent coach, not a manager though, maybe Neill can put Tom's well drilled players into a winning formula, time will tell.

But Down U20's havent even trained yet, and they're manager is being ridiculed? Why didn't you apply if Neil is so unqualified.

And also He must have impressed, as I know several good managers with experience applied and were overlooked.

So calm the jets, give it time, feel free to complain if they flop in Ulster.

Dubh driocht

Worse news is the reappointment of the minor management.Dear oh dear.

dundrumite

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 25, 2009, 07:41:37 PM
Worse news is the reappointment of the minor management.Dear oh dear.

They got to Minor AISF with a team, which as far as I am aware, has a high number of players available next year. Logical enough decision, I would have thought.

andunabu

Quote from: Minus15 on November 25, 2009, 01:47:02 PM
Saw this over on Hogan Stand thought it could be worth a look. Here's my thoughts

1. County player of the Year - Danny Hughes

2. County match of the Year - God Knows

3. Club match of the Year - Glenn V Bosco JFC Quarter Final Replay

4. Club Team of the Year - Kilcoo

5. Favourite venue in the County - Pairc Esler

6. Least Favourite venue in the County - Ardtole

7. Best supporters in the County - ??

8. Worst Supporters in the County - Don't want to offend anyone. Ardglass obviously. Also seen Kilclief on a few occasions and they hold nothing back

9. Nicest club strip in the County - Wouldn't have a clue

10. Ugliest strip in the County - Glasdrumman

11. Favourite overall moment of 2009 (Intercounty) - ??

12. Favourite moment of 2009 (Club) - Winning JFC

13. Club of the year - Kilcoo
Some interesting thoughts here Minus. Here are mine

1. County player of the Year - Danny Hughes - had a very good season

2. County match of the Year - Down vs Queens (I had split loyalties)

3. Club match of the Year - Glenn V Bosco JFC Quarter Final Replay - best game of the year (pity there had to be a loser)

4. Club Team of the Year - Kilcoo - certs (had their luck in Down semi but played great in final and were so unlucky in Ulster clubs)

5. Favourite venue in the County - Pairc Esler

6. Least Favourite venue in the County - Love going everywhere  ;D

7. Best supporters in the County -anyone who coaches, referees and administers at any level.  They support our great association

8. Worst Supporters in the County - we all can be

9. Nicest club strip in the County - Your own club strip

10. Ugliest strip in the County - Your own club strip after a bad loss!

11. Favourite overall moment of 2009 (Intercounty) - Last few minutes of Ulster Under 21 final

12. Favourite moment of 2009 (Club) - getting promoted

13. Club of the year - Kilcoo - deserve great credit for the work they have done at all levels

Bitta-Banter

Quote from: down6061689194 on November 25, 2009, 05:35:35 PM
Quote from: thegael on November 25, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
I have to  wonder what experience of managing teams he has?

how many matches he actually goes to?

is he a member of the gaa?

what coaching qualifications he has?

Would a similar appointment be made in Tyrone?
1He hasn't managed anything other than possibly an underage side.
2The relevance of that is questioable, bodering on ridiculous.
3 Definatley See above
4 I'm not 100% sure but if he gets experience thats as much qualification as anything.
5 Not too sure, why don't you follow them instead if they're so well Run.

Anytime Ive talked to him he's got opinions about Down football, [u]and I believe he watched the U21 AIF[/u]. Tom Potter is a decent coach, not a manager though, maybe Neill can put Tom's well drilled players into a winning formula, time will tell.

But Down U20's havent even trained yet, and they're manager is being ridiculed? Why didn't you apply if Neil is so unqualified.

And also He must have impressed, as I know several good managers with experience applied and were overlooked.

So calm the jets, give it time, feel free to complain if they flop in Ulster.

Dont know how this qualifies him or what particular relevance this has,if he was any sort of Down man then off course he would have watched them in an All-Ireland final.
Dont know the man so cant comment on his suitability for the role,anyone else apply for job?

down6061689194

Heard a few div 1 managers had their name in the pot.

Mid Down Gael

I think the under 21 management should be judged on their panel selection and ability to go places in 2010. The management has many impressive young players at their disposal and i would have high hopes for the 2010 team. The minor management made a balls with the same bunch off players it has to be remembered.
I am surprised at the selection as Neil Collins as manager but good luck to him and i hope he and his team pick the best panel available and have a successful term. But i think he shouldnt be written off before he starts however surprising his selection is and shall be judged on his ability to select the best players available and creating a winning formula with them.

thegael

Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
I am told he is not even a member of the gaa .
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: thegael on November 26, 2009, 10:51:41 AM
Mid Down ofcourse they should be judged that way. My issue is how in the name of God he got the job.He has zero managerial track record bar a little with div 4 annsborough!!!!
He would be laughed at if he went for any decent club job he hasn't the cv and it is absolutely ludicrous that he was appointed in the first place!
Things need to be done properly could you imagine him getting a managerial job with any top club team - no way he just hasn't the experience.As a long time follower of Down football club and county I have never seen him at a game. Yes he might go to the silly nostalgic functions about the 90 s teams and plays the great respectable game of golf with old teammates - yawn yawn but he isn't a football man he hasn't got the experience!It is madness to have appointed him ! He probably is a nice fella but going straight in as a county under 21 manager is madness beyond belief !
How in 2009 can such appointments be made at least mc cartan did his time served his apprenticeship so to speak with queens , burren, st galls and ballinderry but collins has not - this is a serious issue ans this should not have happened!

I totally agree with you on the shock appointment with no track record. I would never have predicted him as manager off any team never mind the county under 21s. I just hope the top players are selected because this team has great potential, only if best players are on and are managed well. I can imagine many Carryduff men being on the squad and other better players in the county left out which would be wrong. I attend many club and county games and have not seen him or Potter present at too many.

spiritof91and94

Mr & Mrs Neil Collins are Life Members of Ath Bhriain GLC and he regularly attends our games. He has assisted many clubs and county teams in the past on a voluntarily basis without hesitation - he wanted the job and got it - now get over it and support the guy.
Paddy Hardy, Tom Potter & Brendan Mckernan are a good backroom team and their knowledge will be invaluable.

6th sam

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on November 26, 2009, 12:09:17 PM

Mr & Mrs Neil Collins are Life Members of Ath Bhriain GLC and he regularly attends our games. He has assisted many clubs and county teams in the past on a voluntarily basis without hesitation - he wanted the job and got it - now get over it and support the guy.
Paddy Hardy, Tom Potter & Brendan Mckernan are a good backroom team and their knowledge will be invaluable.

I hesitated to enter this debate for fear of giving any of the unfair comments credibility.I can vouch for all the above about Neil,but in addition would describe him as a genuine and charismatic football man.He is very knowledgeable about the game and having played with him  many years ago would describe him as a genuine leader on and off the field.He played with minimum fuss and maximum intelligence.I resent anyone questioning his committment to the GAA,as I know of his voluntary contribution to the GAA at club,school and county level.His backroom team is excellent,and as regards his coaching qualifications,I doubt if Joe Kernan,Mickey Harte,Paidi O'Se or indeed  the successful U21 manager of the last 2 years,Pete McGrath have up to date coaching qualifications.Neil is selected as a manager not a coach,and who better to assist him than last year's All-Ireland finalist coach,for continuity.His backroom team consists of an immensely dedicated and knowledgeable All-Ireland winner from Burren,last years u20 champs.Tom Potter is also a qualified dedicated coach with knowledge of players through the development squads.While Paddy Hardy's record speaks for itself.While Neil and Paddy have a handle on players from Mid-Down,Brendan and Tom will bring South and North Down knowledge of players.Maybe,I'm missing something here,but what more do we want? Given that 5 out of the top 6 managers in ACFL Div 1 are from outside the county,I think we can hardly claim that there is a long list of outstanding candidates out there.In any event regardless of some posters' reservations about selection of management for county teams,it's not going to change,and I for  one would like to wish all incoming managers and coaches all the best for 2010,and thank them for offering their services to our county.

thewobbler

My tuppence.

Neil Collins achieved more or less everything in football that an aspiring county player could want to. So as long as he is a good speaker, a good motivator, and is willing to assign the training, coaching and scouting as appropriate, then he should be as suitable as any candidate.

DownFanatic

Anyody any footage/clippings regarding St Malachy's All Ireland U-16 Vocational Schools victory in 1982 or the Down Juniors All Ireland triumph in 1946?