Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

JC, stpauls has the heap on page 50. 

Youse have the Ports and the Crans play the juniors.

Senior hurlers are going well, eh?   :o

stpauls, I don't think you will have any home advantage, all championship matches are played at neutral venues.

Predictions:

Intermediate Football Championship

1:   Tullylish      v   Ardglass                                Ardglass
2:   Teconnaught   v   Dundrum                         Teconnaught
3:   Carryduff                   v   Bredagh                 Carryduff
4:   Darragh Cross   v   Clann Na Banna                 Darragh Cross
5:   Saval      v   Kilclief                                       Kilclief ( have to say that!)
6:   Ballyholland                   v   Glasdrumman       Ballyholland
7:   Saul      v   Ballymartin                                  Ballymartin
8:   Glenn      v   Downpatrick                             Downpatrick

DownFanatic

The Senior Championship draw looks entertaining enough fair with Liatroim/Kilcoo and Clonduff/Bryansford standing out. The IFC has one real standout tie - Carryduff v Bredagh. There is potential here for game of the year. Id say it will probably bring in the biggest crowd of the Championship aswell. The JFC looks competitive enough. I see Killyleagh are entering a team for the Championship eventhough they arent in the League. I think its far too early for predictions. I think that kind of stuff should be left for the week before the first round with League form taken into account etc. Anyways Id probably classify some of the teams in these categories:

SFC
Favourites - Mayobridge, Burren
Going Close - Rostrevor, Clonduff

IFC
Favourites - Ballyholland, Saval, Downpatrick
Going Close - Carryduff, Darragh Cross

JFC
Favourites - Bosco, St Pauls, Bright
Going Close - St Michaels, Aghaderg

Johnnie99

Strange to see Killyleagh enter the JFC, whats the story here considering they arent in Div 4 this year?  Are they possibly entering the EDRFL?

stpauls

guys, killyleagh still haven't confirmed if they are entering a team for the championship, but the county board didn't want to draw their name in the quarters for some one to get a clear trip to the semi's, so if they pull out, St. John's have a bye to the quarters.

with regards to home advantage, was confirmed last night at the draw, home ties for first out in all rounds up to and including the quarters. although, this was what they said last night so that of course could all change at a later date!!!

Johnnie99

Quote from: stpauls on April 03, 2007, 01:50:34 PM
guys, killyleagh still haven't confirmed if they are entering a team for the championship, but the county board didn't want to draw their name in the quarters for some one to get a clear trip to the semi's, so if they pull out, St. John's have a bye to the quarters.

with regards to home advantage, was confirmed last night at the draw, home ties for first out in all rounds up to and including the quarters. although, this was what they said last night so that of course could all change at a later date!!!

I'd say then we can expect to play Bright in our first championship game!!  Cheers St Pauls, wont be missing the trip to Holywood this year!!

No1

Quotewith regards to home advantage, was confirmed last night at the draw, home ties for first out in all rounds up to and including the quarters. although, this was what they said last night so that of course could all change at a later date!!!

stpauls, was that just for the junior championship?

stpauls

as far as i know this is for every draw!!! this was said at the start of the draws but was not mentioned again during them. so i would assume it is for all of them!!  ???

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 02, 2007, 09:13:00 PM
JHC Castlewellan v Bredagh

SHC Ballygalget v Portaferry again.

Lecale,
         did Bredagh get special dispensation to play junior again this year?

If I were any of the non Ards clubs I'd be insisting that all the junior and intermediate games are played after the senior semi finals as we've half a senior team able to play junior due to injuries etc last year

Whitehair

Sure didn't ballyvarley win the junior champ, so bredagh wud be entitled to enter junior again?

Lecale2

Liatroim got dispensation to play
Quote from: johnneycool on April 03, 2007, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on April 02, 2007, 09:13:00 PM

Lecale,
         did Bredagh get special dispensation to play junior again this year?

If I were any of the non Ards clubs I'd be insisting that all the junior and intermediate games are played after the senior semi finals as we've half a senior team able to play junior due to injuries etc last year
Whitehair is right. Bredagh lost the final to Ballyvarley.
Liatroim got dispensation to play Intermediate again this year. Probably the right decision given their small panel. Ballela and Castlewellan both got regraded Junior. The 2 of them will be favorites for the JHC this year. They're both a cut above anybody else in the JHC unless Ballygalget field some of their Seniors.

Ballygalget will have Martin Coulter and Emmett Dorrian available to play Junior. Who else to Ballygalget have available for Junior JC?
Shamrocks raised this at the Hurling convention but got little sympathy from the Ards clubs. As you pointed out earlier the senior clubs want the SHC played close to the Ulster Championship and that leaves no room for IHC and JHC to follow on, because of the Junior & Inter Ulster club competitions. 

Colonel Cool

That's the 3rd year in a row Ports and Ballygalget meet in the semi final. I'm not sure a semi against Down Juniors does us any good especailly when they don't prepare properly.
For the SHC this has to be Ballycran's year. We've been knocking on the door now for 2 years and it's time to deliver.

If Ballygalget manage their panels right they should lift the IHC. Kilclief are strong too and could push them all the way. That's 3 years in a row Shamrocks have drawn Ballycran IIs and every year they complain that it should be played after the SHC semis. You'd nearly think the draw was fixed to wind up Ronan Sheehan!

In the JHC it will be the winner of the Bredagh/Castlewellan clash. Castlewellan beat Ballela in the IHC last year so I'm a bit surprised that they're back down in Junior. Bredagh know they left it behind them last year and will not be distracted by Ulster Leagues this year.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

Bacon

Who decided that Liatroim, Castlewellan & Ballela could all be re-graded? This has been badly handled. It certainly didn't go forward from the Hurling Board. Surely Ballyvarley have a case for regarding to Junior. They aren't half as good as Ballela or Castlewellan & if Liatroim can play Intermediate after winning the IHC why not Ballyvarley?

KIlclief & Shamrocks will be pissed off that Liatroim are back in the IHC. It will severely reduce their chances of success at this level. How long before Kilclief & Shamrocks want regraded to Junior?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

No1

QuoteHow long before Kilclief & Shamrocks want regraded to Junior?

That will never happen, there are a few deluded die hards in the club who believe the only way is up. 

As for us being strong this year, the way training has been going I don't think so.

Whitehair

I think its the correct decision that we(ballela) have moved back down a grade, last nite we played a challenge match that contained 6 players from the team that won the junior championship in 2003. Im not sure if anyones read the comments posted on the hoganstand site, where people are kicking up a fuss saying we shouldnt be in the intermediate but any of the ards 2nds wud tell u that we'r far too weak  at present and are a shadow of the team that beat ballygalget and ran the ports close a two years. The county board/hurling board admitted us to div1 on the condition that we remained there for 3 years, this being the last its more than likely we move down next year.

Bacon

Neither Ballela nor Castlewellan are junior sides Whitehair. Castlewellan reached the semi final of the IHC last yeart FFS! And they only beat Ballela after a replay in the earlier rounds.
Dropping down a level to win a championship is poor form and shouldn't be allowed. How do Warrenpoint & Bredagh feel about it? They have never won the JHC and what chance have they now if Intermediate clubs keep regrading?
How will Kilclief feel if Liatroim win the IHC again? Liatroim should play senior for one season, as they and Kilclief have both done in the past. If they don't want to play senior they have the option of sitting out a year like Ballygalget did.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009