Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Noel and Ronan Sexton lifted the cup.  The Bridge showed a lot of character to win that one last night.  With Benny getting the line and Brendan Grant gone off injured things weren't looking too good but the lads worked their socks off right to the end. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

6th sam

Quote from: lecale4 on November 06, 2009, 09:03:04 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 05, 2009, 05:28:07 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on November 05, 2009, 05:23:30 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 05, 2009, 05:14:08 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on November 05, 2009, 04:30:43 PM
Was that Owen Costelloe doing left half back for Queens yesterday the Bredagh Costelloe?

Indeed it was Dundrumite

Owen Costello was the only non-county player in either squads in the Queens/Poly game apparently.

Maybe Mark Turley who failed to pick him for the Minors will take note for the u21's. Turley missed 2 Bredagh lads last year - Magee & McKegney who'd played in every squad from 15's - Magee had captained the u17's. I think if they'd been playing for Loughinisland ......... ;)

Well done to Owen in any case - it's a start!
Did he play in either of the games against us Square ball? Know the name but can't quite put a face to him?

No I dont think so, he has been out injured most of the season unfortunately.

Great to see the lad start for QUB.
There is perhaps a recurrent issue with Bredagh and Carryduff under-representation in county squads.
IMHO it is too easy to blame management for non-selection-I find it hard to believe that any manager would not pick a strong player  just because he's from Bredagh.Bredagh may need to look closer to home perhaps if they want to secure reasonable representation-which all genuine Down Gaels wish to see.
There are a few reasons for under-representation, I think.
1.The 2 local schools Aquinas and Knock are not meeting their potential,depriving Bredagh/Duff of top notch colleges football exposure.
2.Not sure there is a strong enough affinity with the Down county team in the greater South Belfast area.
3.The strength of soccer,rugby and Hurling means some of your players are overstretched,playing 2 or 3 codes.
4.The geographical isolation of Bredagh/Duff-making it harder for Bredagh/Duff lads to make all trials and training sessions.
5.The fact that Bredagh/Duff are now division 3 teams,makes GAA less attractive to the best athletes in your area.

I also think that the ease with which your teams dominate underage competitions in East Down isn't a good environment to develop the type of tenacious,committed,single-minded players needed at county level.

The 4 North Down clubs(Cilldara and St.pauls as well) are great clubs and serve a large population,which has massive potential for Down football,and I feel these clubs need to get together and come up with ideas for mutual benefit.

Blaming successive county minor management for failing to pick players is missing the point.

washed_up

Sean Armstrong(goalkeeper) came through in 2008 and earned his place on the down minor squad from Bredagh,but unfortunately a bad knee injury curtailed his participation as  the Ulster c'ship approached-by the way a good lad who knows his job

lecale4

Quote from: 6th sam on November 06, 2009, 10:18:41 AM
Was that Owen Costelloe doing left half back for Queens yesterday the Bredagh Costelloe?

Indeed it was Dundrumite

Owen Costello was the only non-county player in either squads in the Queens/Poly game apparently.

Maybe Mark Turley who failed to pick him for the Minors will take note for the u21's. Turley missed 2 Bredagh lads last year - Magee & McKegney who'd played in every squad from 15's - Magee had captained the u17's. I think if they'd been playing for Loughinisland ......... ;)

Did he play in either of the games against us Square ball? Know the name but can't quite put a face to him?

There is perhaps a recurrent issue with Bredagh and Carryduff under-representation in county squads.
IMHO it is too easy to blame management for non-selection-I find it hard to believe that any manager would not pick a strong player  just because he's from Bredagh.Bredagh may need to look closer to home perhaps if they want to secure reasonable representation-which all genuine Down Gaels wish to see.
1.The 2 local schools Aquinas and Knock are not meeting their potential,depriving Bredagh/Duff of top notch colleges football exposure.
2.Not sure there is a strong enough affinity with the Down county team in the greater South Belfast area.
3.The strength of soccer,rugby and Hurling means some of your players are overstretched,playing 2 or 3 codes.
4.The geographical isolation of Bredagh/Duff-making it harder for Bredagh/Duff lads to make all trials and training sessions.
5.The fact that Bredagh/Duff are now division 3 teams,makes GAA less attractive to the best athletes in your area.

I also think that the ease with which your teams dominate underage competitions in East Down isn't a good environment to develop the type of tenacious,committed,single-minded players needed at county level.

The 4 North Down clubs(Cilldara and St.pauls as well) are great clubs and serve a large population,which has massive potential for Down football,and I feel these clubs need to get together and come up with ideas for mutual benefit.

Blaming successive county minor management for failing to pick players is missing the point.

You make some valid points 6th Sam.

Bredagh is working hard with both Aquinas & Knock and, with Carryduff, have been instrumental in pushing Gaelic games in both schools. Aquinas won the Bro Nolan Ulster (C) last year and were beaten in the AI final. They are playing McLarnon this year - as are Knock. Progress has been made from a very low position, but Aquinas in particular is a small co-ed school and will never have the numbers.   

The affinity with the county is a two-way thing and maybe a bit of help from the county wouldn't go amiss - the club(s) try their best, but the underage set-up/attitude in Down doesn't help. There is a growing GAA community in N Down. The clubs are working very hard but sometimes we don't get much in return.

The GAA are putting together a City strategy - maybe this will help - maybe Down will take it seriously.

Bredagh this year had a very youthful Senior team - the underage work will bear fruit.

thewobbler

They may have stopped the practice in recent years, but Carryduff used to send a dozen men to minor trials every year. While the top clubs in the county don't feel the need to waste everyone's time by sending inadequate talent along, Carryduff seemed to have a "everyone deserves a shot" mentality.

If I was a selector, I wouldn't be long tarnishing them all with the one brush.

Maiden1

Indeed it was Dundrumite

Bredagh under 16 and minor are among the best in the county, pushing Kilcoo very hard at both grades, most of your arguments don't stand up.  If Mark Turley is not looking in North Down for underage players it says a lot more about Mark Turley than about Bredagh.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

6th sam

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 06, 2009, 12:49:17 PM

Indeed it was Dundrumite

Bredagh under 16 and minor are among the best in the county, pushing Kilcoo very hard at both grades, most of your arguments don't stand up.  If Mark Turley is not looking in North Down for underage players it says a lot more about Mark Turley than about Bredagh.

Mark Turley I'm sure doesn't look on  North Down any different than other parts of the county-to suggest a manager would weaken his hand by not picking players from certain parts of the county,doesn't make any sense to me.
I agree Bredagh are among the best at underage-but this has been the case for many years,and they remain in Div 3.Carryduff arguably have been even  stronger at underage ,and yet will be Div 3 in 2010 also.
These suggestions are not about getting the boot into Bredagh.I have many friends in Bredagh and Carryduff and have enormous respect for both clubs,and I think it would serve the county well to have more Belfast representation on all county squads.However the notion that somebody is scheming to keep Bredagh out of county football appears paranoid.Regarding my points not standing up,they are all points that I have heard from Bredagh and Carryduff members.

Regarding county board help.I have a real difficulty if the county board starts to give additional help to certain clubs.My own club has limited resources,and we get very little help from the county board-and don't expect it.

5 Sams

I see The Irish News have An Ríocht down as promoted in their regualr Friday league table round up :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Cúig huaire

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 06, 2009, 01:36:24 PM
I see The Irish News have An Ríocht down as promoted in their regualr Friday league table round up :-\

Did you not read Matts report in last Fridays Irish News? Cracking game. Marty Clarke got MOTM.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

dundrumite

Quote from: 6th sam on November 06, 2009, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on November 06, 2009, 12:49:17 PM

Indeed it was Dundrumite

Mark Turley I'm sure doesn't look on  North Down any different than other parts of the county-to suggest a manager would weaken his hand by not picking players from certain parts of the county,doesn't make any sense to me.
I agree Bredagh are among the best at underage-but this has been the case for many years,and they remain in Div 3.Carryduff arguably have been even  stronger at underage ,and yet will be Div 3 in 2010 also.
These suggestions are not about getting the boot into Bredagh.I have many friends in Bredagh and Carryduff and have enormous respect for both clubs,and I think it would serve the county well to have more Belfast representation on all county squads.However the notion that somebody is scheming to keep Bredagh out of county football appears paranoid.Regards my points not standing up,they are all points that I have heard from Bredagh and Carryduff members.

Regarding county board help.I have a real difficulty if the county board starts to give additional help to certain clubs.My own club has limited resources,and we get very little help from the county board-and don't expect it.

This is a point I have brought up before and baffles me how such clubs can be so strong at underage level for the past number of years(Bredagh for a lesser period of time admittedly) yet still be lingering around the third tier of Down football at senior level?

6th sam

Regarding GAA development in North Down,a few things would help:
1.a centre of excellence for all county teams training,and available for schools matches,based centrally ( in castlewellan area)
2.County board work in liaison with the 4 North Down clubs to develop a floodlit facility(in Carryduff,as only central available location) accessible to all North Down clubs.If this could be upgraded to provide a stand for example,it should be able to host county matches e.g ladies,minors,u21s,mckenna cup.
3.I'd be interested on Bredagh/Duff views on this:Up to u14 level Carryduff and Bredagh each consider entering 2 equal teams ,as opposed to A and B sides,to give all their eligible players meaningful football-as apparently some of their players lose interest if relegated to a "B" squad,while those in the "A" squad tend to easily dominate most teams in East Down.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on November 06, 2009, 09:03:55 AM
Noel and Ronan Sexton lifted the cup.  The Bridge showed a lot of character to win that one last night.  With Benny getting the line and Brendan Grant gone off injured things weren't looking too good but the lads worked their socks off right to the end.

Fair play - we will never get a better chance in any final and hadnt the balls to take it. You have to question our tactics and decisions made along the line.
How did we expect young Bonny starting his first game to mark Benny Coulter?
Referee ruined it for both teams and never give the game a chance to take off at all.

5 Sams

Quote from: Cúig huaire on November 06, 2009, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 06, 2009, 01:36:24 PM

Did you not read Matts report in last Fridays Irish News? Cracking game. Marty Clarke got MOTM.

How did I play??? ;)
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

I am the happiest man in Africa... ;D I was getting bad vides at half time but the boys showed tremedous character in grind out that victory... This is a massive win for us... Roll on 2010..
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

gorm agus bui

Quote from: 6th sam on November 06, 2009, 02:23:41 PM
Regarding GAA development in North Down,a few things would help:
1.a centre of excellence for all county teams training,and available for schools matches,based centrally ( in castlewellan area)
2.County board work in liaison with the 4 North Down clubs to develop a floodlit facility(in Carryduff,as only central available location) accessible to all North Down clubs.If this could be upgraded to provide a stand for example,it should be able to host county matches e.g ladies,minors,u21s,mckenna cup.
3.I'd be interested on Bredagh/Duff views on this:Up to u14 level Carryduff and Bredagh each consider entering 2 equal teams ,as opposed to A and B sides,to give all their eligible players meaningful football-as apparently some of their players lose interest if relegated to a "B" squad,while those in the "A" squad tend to easily dominate most teams in East Down.

I must say I am fascinated to read about this domination of East Down at juvenile level by Carryduff and Bredagh. Having been involved with underage football  for many years I would consider that no team bar Kilcoo of late have been dominant, and would not take away from the two Belfast clubs who are up there with the best but to suggest domination is taking things a bit far