Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norabeag

Quote from: thewobbler on September 29, 2009, 08:55:06 PM
All very well Ehh Down, but I don't see how it's the county board's fault. I'd guess that 3-4 of the town clubs you talk of are among the richest in the county, and also have the best pick every year at u-8 level.
Would question your assertion that they are among the richest. I know Downpatrick have spent a lot on their grounds etc but would have considerable debt and outgoings as a result of development. Big pick on paper but there is significant part of population, mainly from orignal belfast families who have no affiliation to gaelic games even with the pitches on their doorstep.
The club have put big effort into local schools particularly St Colmcilles with minimal response and also have the likes of Bright eating into the Flying Horse and Saul who recruit right down into Saul St and the St Brigid School.
I would not be blaming the Co Board either as there is responsibility on the clubs themselves, but we had a paid administrator appointed five or six years ago in Down and whose remit was to address issues in the 3 Urban areas and 3 years later had delivered absolutely nothing but was rewarded with the Full time Secretary's post in the county.
I know a lot of the lads in the towns and they work very hard at promoting the games, indeed I wish my circumstances permitted me to do more but working away from home so much is a problem.

eyeswideopen

Final round of Prediction League.

Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland.

Intermediate Football
Ballymartin v Darragh Cross

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Premier Reserve Football (4 teams still left, choose one to win outright)
Mayobridge, Burren, Ballyholland or Clonduff

Reserve Football
Kilcoo v Castlewellan

Niall Quinn

Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo v Castlewellan
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

No1

QuoteLets diverve some of the money being syphoned off to promote hurling outside the ards into getting a GAA presence back into our major towns

Some good points EHD but how much exactly do you think is being syphoned off?  At a rough guess I would say about £2.58.

The non Ards clubs promote hurling by themselves with little support from anywhere else.

The state of Gaelic football in our major towns is a disgrace. 

That's the problem with townies though, no loyalty to their club.   ;)

off the laces

Quote from: No1 on September 30, 2009, 08:34:36 AM
QuoteLets diverve some of the money being syphoned off to promote hurling outside the ards into getting a GAA presence back into our major towns

Some good points EHD but how much exactly do you think is being syphoned off?  At a rough guess I would say about £2.58.

The non Ards clubs promote hurling by themselves with little support from anywhere else.

that's a good thing for your club No1 as i recall a certain teacher got a pick off a few townies out to the shoreline ;)
Keeps 'er' straight

Maiden1

Quote from: No1 on September 30, 2009, 08:34:36 AM

Don't think it has anything to do with money.  More that a lot of the players play soccer so when the games move to the Saturday they are not committed to gaelic football.  Loughinisland have a few players who play soccer but there first priority is to gaelic football until the gaelic season ends.  The opposite would be the case with Downpatrick I think.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

TheClutch

Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland.

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo V Castlewellan
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

Bacon

Good luck to the county representatives playing in the Ulster Championship this weekend. Warrenpoint taravel to Lisnaskea on Saturday in the Junior and Liatroim take on Castleblaney in Newry on Monday evenings in the IHC.

Liatroim should win but the Point have it all to do against a very strong Fermanagh team.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Brick Tamlin

Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland. (Draw)

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo V Castlewellan

dundrumite

Quote from: TheClutch on September 30, 2009, 09:50:35 AM
Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland.

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo V Castlewellan

Going to be a lazy bo@@ocks again and agree with yer man here for my predictions.

lfdown2

Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v  Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo V Castlewellan

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Ehh up Down on September 29, 2009, 08:04:25 PM
Firstly my congratulations to all the teams still involved in the championships and now for my gripe. I've been reading and following this site and this is my first time posting. Surely the county board must look into the fact that 3 of the largest clubs/towns (pick wise) arent contributing anything hence the poor standard of our senior county team. When we had a strong competitive teams in provincial and national comps we were backboned by the Newry,DPK and Carryduff teams. the two clubs with the smallest pick population wise are both competing in the senior final, Darragh and Ballymartin are by no means large parish's (Carrickmannon and Saintfield prob has 60% of lads who kick with the opposite foot anyhow 8)) Obviously Gealic football is strong and alive in the rural parish's. Lets diverve some of the money being syphoned off to promote hurling outside the ards into getting a GAA presence back into our major towns
forgot that hurling wasnt part of the GAA. Is this a serious comment? The non-ards hurling clubs get f**k all from the county board in the first place.

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on September 30, 2009, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: Ehh up Down on September 29, 2009, 08:04:25 PM
Firstly my congratulations to all the teams still involved in the championships and now for my gripe. I've been reading and following this site and this is my first time posting. Surely the county board must look into the fact that 3 of the largest clubs/towns (pick wise) arent contributing anything hence the poor standard of our senior county team. When we had a strong competitive teams in provincial and national comps we were backboned by the Newry,DPK and Carryduff teams. the two clubs with the smallest pick population wise are both competing in the senior final, Darragh and Ballymartin are by no means large parish's (Carrickmannon and Saintfield prob has 60% of lads who kick with the opposite foot anyhow 8)) Obviously Gealic football is strong and alive in the rural parish's. Lets diverve some of the money being syphoned off to promote hurling outside the ards into getting a GAA presence back into our major towns
forgot that hurling wasnt part of the GAA. Is this a serious comment? The non-ards hurling clubs get f**k all from the county board in the first place.

And to expand on that comment; the Ards clubs get f**k all from the county board either.

CHB1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on September 30, 2009, 11:45:02 AM
Senior Football
Kilcoo v Loughinisland. (Draw)

Intermediate Football

Junior Football
Glenn v Teconnaght

Minor Football
Kilcoo v Warrenpoint

Reserve Football
Kilcoo V Castlewellan

First person I believe to predict Clonduff for the premier reserve!! 

Brick Tamlin

yeah im a cantankerous ol git and usually vote the opposite to everyone else just to be twisty.
First to back the Point in Minors too.