Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

But at the same time SS2, look at how much influence Canty had on the AI semi-final this year! Or look at the destruction Ryan McMenamin has caused from CHB when he plays that role without too much defensive duties. It's not that long ago either since Geezer was Armagh's quarterback from no.6.

Having a playmaker at CHB means somebody - wing-forwards, defensive midfielder, 3rd midfielder - has to be available to pick up the defensive slack that allows him to roam. It's not something that the traditional football minds of Carr or O'Rourke would really have set a team out to do, but you never know under wee James.

behind the wire

At last there is a bit of positive discussion and a feeling of going forwards on the Down thread!!

Great to see marty home. Just hope everyone gives him (and wee james) time and doesn't expect miracles overnight.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

charlie stubbs

Quote from: behind the wire on September 24, 2009, 01:03:22 PM
At last there is a bit of positive discussion and a feeling of going forwards on the Down thread!!

Great to see marty home. Just hope everyone gives him (and wee james) time and doesn't expect miracles overnight.

good post

dodgy umpire

marty clarke comes home on guinness day. life is good
The Boys in Red and Black are back

saffron sam2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2009, 12:38:27 PM
But at the same time SS2, look at how much influence Canty had on the AI semi-final this year! Or look at the destruction Ryan McMenamin has caused from CHB when he plays that role without too much defensive duties. It's not that long ago either since Geezer was Armagh's quarterback from no.6.

Having a playmaker at CHB means somebody - wing-forwards, defensive midfielder, 3rd midfielder - has to be available to pick up the defensive slack that allows him to roam. It's not something that the traditional football minds of Carr or O'Rourke would really have set a team out to do, but you never know under wee James.

And that's exactly why he didn't have the same influence in the final, nor will he have the same influence again against any team with a manager who possesses reasonable tactical nous or an athlete like Tadhg Kennelly. I also think that Clarke isn't the same type of footballer as any of those we've mentioned as an example, so it's maybe hard to speak with certainity as to how he would perform at chb.

I used to be of the opinion that you should build your team round your chb, now I'm not so sure. I just feel that it's easier to negate a defender than a forward.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

5 Sams

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 24, 2009, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2009, 12:21:30 PM
LF, centre-forward was definitely his natural position and probably is still his best spot.

But to my untrained eye, midfield in Aussie Rules seems more like a defensive role - with positional play and stopping more important than passing and movement – and if he has picked up these key skills, to augment his passing and athleticism, he could be an absolute phenomenon at centre-back in Gaelic Football.  

I'd also have high hopes that Conor Maginn might fulfil his promise at centre three-quarters as he fills out over the next couple of years. It would be a lovely prospect to have those two footballing brains in the engine room for Down.

Interesting, but is chb the pivotal position that it was in the era of Downey / Breen etc? Look at stand out chb at the minute (Canty) and how he totally nullified in the All-Ireland final.  Look also at Tyrone who won the AI in 2008 without a traditional centre-half back. The threat he offers could be neutralised more easily from chb than chf.

Just give him a jersey and tell him to do what he wants.

Two words....Mike McCarthy....

I thought he was outstanding for Kerry this year in that position....driving forward at every opportunity....total ball control and feeding the Gooch, Sullivan etc with precision passes....I can see it now.....Clarke at CHB..feeding McComiskey, Coulter et al.....with McMahon and McMenamin chasing shadows ;)
The Aristocrat Years

NedFlanders

Great news for the county, an riocht in with a real shout for Div 2

big decison for him to make tho

saffron sam2

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2009, 01:59:15 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 24, 2009, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2009, 12:21:30 PM
LF, centre-forward was definitely his natural position and probably is still his best spot.

But to my untrained eye, midfield in Aussie Rules seems more like a defensive role - with positional play and stopping more important than passing and movement – and if he has picked up these key skills, to augment his passing and athleticism, he could be an absolute phenomenon at centre-back in Gaelic Football.  

I'd also have high hopes that Conor Maginn might fulfil his promise at centre three-quarters as he fills out over the next couple of years. It would be a lovely prospect to have those two footballing brains in the engine room for Down.

Interesting, but is chb the pivotal position that it was in the era of Downey / Breen etc? Look at stand out chb at the minute (Canty) and how he totally nullified in the All-Ireland final.  Look also at Tyrone who won the AI in 2008 without a traditional centre-half back. The threat he offers could be neutralised more easily from chb than chf.

Just give him a jersey and tell him to do what he wants.

Two words....Mike McCarthy....

I thought he was outstanding for Kerry this year in that position....driving forward at every opportunity....total ball control and feeding the Gooch, Sullivan etc with precision passes....I can see it now.....Clarke at CHB..feeding McComiskey, Coulter et al.....with McMahon and McMenamin chasing shadows ;)

Yes, but McCarthy was very much a last resort there and it was only in the Antrim game that his powers really came to the fore. Kerry certainly didn't set out to build the team round him. Besides, if you were playing against Kerry there are other more prominent targets for you to focus on (the two O Ses at the back for starters) and McCarthy slipped under the radar a bit. No chance of that happening with Down.

Down should (and probably will) build their team round Clarke. He will be feeding McComiskey, Coulter et al.; it's just where is best to play him to ensure that he gets the maximum amount of possession in the best possible areas.

An excellent quandry to be in though.

cokers

Time will tell if its to be chb or chf but I trust the managerial team will make the correct decision after watching him with An Rioch and having a yarn with him. How many games do they have left?

Welcome home Marty!

thewobbler

QuoteAnd that's exactly why he didn't have the same influence in the final, nor will he have the same influence again against any team with a manager who possesses reasonable tactical nous or an athlete like Tadhg Kennelly
That's a tad harsh on Mickey Harte

saffron sam2

In fairness, Mickey had a bit of a shocker that day and you can be guaranteed that he will have things rectified for the next game against Cork.

I know it's ifs and buts, but there's a hell of a difference between Sean Cavanagh at chf and Tommy McGuigan.

Besides, chb or chf is a moot point I believe. Clarke will be one of the fourteen men McCartan routinely plays behind the ball.

supersub

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 16, 2009, 04:42:30 PM
Just regarding your suggestions Supersub:

1 M McAllister - Should be Down's numero uno between the sticks in a couple of years
2 A Brannigan - 2009 club SFC performances have proven that he can mix it at the highest standard. Needs inter county game time to see his true worth.
3 G McArdle - Lacks pace. Strong player though but will never be good enough to nail down a regular starting slot.
4 J Doran - Tried and tested. Failed.
5 S Parr - Unproven. Maybe lacking a bit of physicality but well worth a shot.
6 L Doyle - Injury free, he is a cert.
7 G McCartan - Another that deserves a chance.
8 J Colgan - Lacks the speed and pace to compete at Senior Intercounty level. Overated.
9 K King - Should make the 2010 squad. An old school ball winning, catch and kick midfielder.
10 M Walsh - A playmaker who has a lot of experience. Deserves another chance.
11 M Clarke - The icing on the cake. Keep saying our prayers.
12 J McGovern - Is he any better than what we already have in our attacking ranks?
13 J Clarke - A nailed on cert who will have a big year in 2010
14 J Brown - Forget about it. Cant even secure a starting berth with Clonduff.
15 C Laverty - Balls, intelligence and a never say die attitude. Size doesn'tmatter. Get him in there.

Just in terms of what Ive seen in Division 3 this year. Gareth Johnson (Tullylish), Mark Connolly (Drumgath), Kevin Anderson (Aghaderg) and Michael Magee (Ardglass) definitely wouldn't look out of place in a trial game.

Wasn't too far wrong was I ;)

Great to have him back - but one player isn't going to turn things around, as people pointed out the back line needs sorted and experience like J Clarke and M Walsh need to be added to the mix as well as the new blood!!

banker

Since Marty Clarke is definitely on his way home this is the Down team i would like to see line out come championship time:

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) Peter Turley
4) Martin Cole
5) Paul Murphy
6) Liam Doyle
7) Kevin Duffin
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Stephen Kearney
10) Michael Walsh
11) Martin Clarke
12) Benny Coulter
13) John Clarke
14) Peter Fitzpatrick
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

This is a fantastic team with great potential. Hopefully wee james can do the job with these lads and with the likes of murtagh, sexton, mckernan, laverty (hopefully) on the bench he has a few handy subs to throw in

lets see everyone elses teams

CHB1

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Aidan Brannigan
3. C Garvey
4. L Howard (currently injured)
5. P Murphy
6. L Doyle (providing he is fit - here's hoping)
7. D Rafferty
8. Dan Gordon
9. Peter Fitzpatrick
10. A. Carr
11. M Clarke
12. B Coulter
13. C Laverty
14. J Clarke
15. P McComiskey

No great height in full forward line but plenty of pace with Laverty and McComiskey. Where is McKernans best position?

Other panel members that will run the starting berths close: M Walsh, R Sexton, C McGovern, K Duffin, T Hanna, S Kearney, M Cole, R Murtagh, D Hughes, J McGovern

Would Colm Kearney be considered?  One of the best forwards in club football this year but attitude can be questionable.

thewobbler

Ambrose ahead of either Kearney or Fitpatrick imho.