Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cúig huaire

Of course Pete is upset, but I think the right decision was made when appointing the new manager. Obviously Pete is disappointed, who wouldn't be, but the appointment was pretty well handled. Maybe Pete should have been notified of any decision before it was released to the media, but with hindsight we would all be perfect.
Pete had his day and brought us two All Irelands and for that we will always be indebted to him, but it was time to move forward, not back. Its also time for everyone to support Wee James and this team and stop bickering. Give the man a chance.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

In the Onion Bag

Boys-a-dear has this placed us in a big messy hole and seems we are still digging. 
A shambles no matter what you think of the decision. 
More of the same for Co Down I fear while the gap between us and other Ulster counties continues to grow.

Am considering becoming an Antrim supporter or a dose of cyanide.

Cúig huaire

RadioGAAGAA

Unacceptable that Pete McGrath (or any candidate for that matter) is not notified as soon as the successful applicant has accepted the position.

Under no circumstances should they find out off the papers!

At the end of the day it isn't asking much, manners are easily carried and all that.

You wouldn't like it if it happened to you, or if it happened in the workplace.

Must do better folks.
i usse an speelchekor

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 17, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
How is it a shambles?

Well Um let me think? 
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy,
2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence,
3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak,
4. the bickering amoung genuine Down GAA followers (just read this thread),
5. there is no imagination in the actual appointment so expect more the same - we got the wrong man and therefore continued failure,
6. need I go on?

A clear shambles in my and I believe most objective observers points of view

Mid Down Gael

I heard from a very close source to wee pete today that he will quit the under 21s and take nothin more to do with county teams.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on September 17, 2009, 09:56:09 PM
I heard from a very close source to wee pete today that he will quit the under 21s and take nothin more to do with county teams.

I'd well believe it.

Anyone would be pissed off at that treatment.

[BTW - I'm not disagreeing with the decision, I think its probably for the best, but the poor handling of it is a problem]
i usse an speelchekor

Lecale2

It's not a Shambles!

A Shambles is what they have in Armagh.  :)

Cúig huaire

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 17, 2009, 09:50:15 PM
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy

What controversy? Wee James is the right man for the job. Unless we were going to appoint a big name, big money outsider then there was no other option.

2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence

Nonsense, it was a 5 man panel, who were answerable to the CB and in turn to the clubs, if you have an issue with the appointment take it up with your club, who in turn can raise the matter with the CB if they feel you have a case. (Which you don't)

3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak

What else would you expect from what is an amateur organisation. Maybe we should appoint a team of PR consultants?? Yes it was wrong, but we all make mistakes, in the grand scheme of things its no big deal.

I have met very few people who are not in favour of Wee James getting the job. And as for genuine Down supporters on this thread or board for that matter, how many of you go to games on a regular basis? I reckon there are about a half dozen posters on this board who regularly attend county games.

5. there is no imagination in the actual appointment so expect more the same - we got the wrong man and therefore continued failure,

We are not Kerry or Tyrone, name a big name outsider who would take us on? Micko? Paidi?  Get real. James is the right man for the job at this time and is entitled to our support.

6. need I go on?

No your argument has already been ripped to shreds.

tirnaog

I think lads ,that everybody here is just about touching on valid points ,there is good and bad in the way that James was appointed.For a man off Peter Mcgath's standing to be treated the way he was is just not accepttable.The county board have to look at the way people are treated,people give their time up and when they are finished with them they are treated like dirt and for got about.I know for a fact that when minors are trying to make a team and they dont make the cut they find out in the papers or some of their team mates tell them,even in the later stages of selection .The county board have to put a policy in place that people at least deserve a phone call on all occasions

Pangurban

Unprofessional, discourteous,disgraceful treatment of a Man who has served this County well. It begs the question is the Co. Board open, democratic, ethical, honourable, or indeed fit for purpose. I for one have my doubts, and i speak from some experience

dundrumite

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 17, 2009, 10:38:13 PM
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy

What controversy? Wee James is the right man for the job. Unless we were going to appoint a big name, big money outsider then there was no other option.

2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence

Nonsense, it was a 5 man panel, who were answerable to the CB and in turn to the clubs, if you have an issue with the appointment take it up with your club, who in turn can raise the matter with the CB if they feel you have a case. (Which you don't)

3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak

What else would you expect from what is an amateur organisation. Maybe we should appoint a team of PR consultants?? Yes it was wrong, but we all make mistakes, in the grand scheme of things its no big deal.

I have met very few people who are not in favour of Wee James getting the job. And as for genuine Down supporters on this thread or board for that matter, how many of you go to games on a regular basis? I reckon there are about a half dozen posters on this board who regularly attend county games.

We are not Kerry or Tyrone, name a big name outsider who would take us on? Micko? Paidi?  Get real. James is the right man for the job at this time and is entitled to our support.

6. need I go on?

No your argument has already been ripped to shreds.

Touche

norabeag

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 17, 2009, 09:36:35 PM
How is it a shambles?

Well Um let me think? 
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy,
2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence,
3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak,
6. need I go on?

A clear shambles in my and I believe most objective observers points of view
Thats enough now Pete. You had your say in the Irish News

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Pangurban on September 17, 2009, 11:46:13 PM
Unprofessional, discourteous,disgraceful treatment of a Man who has served this County well. It begs the question is the Co. Board open, democratic, ethical, honourable, or indeed fit for purpose. I for one have my doubts, and i speak from some experience

No one is doubting Pete McGraths credentials, or that he hasn't served our county well, but we as a county are often accused of living in the past, dwelling on our past glories. If the CB had appointed Pete, there would have been a hell of a lot more people complaining than there are now. Reappointing Pete would have been a step in the wrong direction in my opinion and I think that Wee James was the logical choice.
There are a lot of people involved with the county in one way or another that I have no time for, in fact there is one man on the committee that appointed James that I have even less time for, but I think they done a good job this time and it is time we all got off their backs. It is very easy to criticise, while none of you have any alternatives to offer up.
We need a severe dose of realism in Down, we haven't won anything of note in 15 years. Who outside of our own county would want the job? We have what many people believe to be a good management team in place and we should at least give them a chance before passing judgement.
When Down beat Armagh in the league next year you`ll all be telling your friends that you knew James was the man for the job and that we are going places. Now if you want to see how not to appoint a county manager go over to the Armagh thread and get a good laugh.

Long Ball

The 5 man panel was a joke- the 5 chosen to appoint should have been totally impartial.

1- Devenney- worked with James with the University team
2- Blayney- Borther-in-Law of James
3- Haughian- Can't stand Pete McGrath (How is winning 2 All-Irelands underachieving Emmet?)

So before the interviews even began a majority of the panel were going to vote for James.
As for the CB having to give their stamp of approval that's a nonsense, they were going to agree to whatever decision the panel came to.

As for Pete finding out in the press- that's an absolute disgrace and insult and I wouldn't blame him for turning his back on Down for it.
Drive yer boot in her!!