Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

niall farrell was the full back 4 us tonight. On dermot mackin, he played in the 98 cship winnin team around the time of the hogan and for a good few yrs after and then he went to australia for a while and came back a few years ago.not a reglar starter now cuz of age. Also converterd to a corner foward now!

Town Gael

Gutted that we went out in the style we did yesterday- once again our shooting cost us. We had so much of the play i the first 45 minutes I thought we were going to win by 6-7 points. We should never have allowed Saval back into the game when we were 5 points up. They battled hard and looked extremely fit at the end of the game when we ran out of steam.

Downboy

Quote from: DownFanatic on August 08, 2009, 06:56:07 PM
Kilclief thoroughly deserved their win. They played some nice slick football and had some great outlets in their forward line especially Ciaran Sloan and Ricky Kerr. Jonathan Hanvey and Matthew Johnston dominated midfield which helped as well.

To me, Shamrocks look like a team with Division 3 written all over them. They seem to rely on a core of a players while those on the fringes look lightweight and inexperienced.

Just on a more sour note. The majority (notice I didn't say the minority) of Kiclief support were a disgrace. Their language and behaviour infront of a lot of young supporters was vile. Opposition players, linesmen, the referee - you name it, they had a go at it and in the most disgusting manner possible.

I was at the match with my 6 year old son and I fully agree that the language was not pretty or over the top and yes the linesman and the referee and indeed took lots of abuse. There is no place for this especially the language.
However the performance of the referee and Shamrocks in the second half should also be called disgusting. How someone didnt end up seriously hurt is beyond me. There were at least 7 off the ball punches thrown by Shamrocks players in the second half which went unpunished. Several in full view of the linesmen. The challange of Mcguigan on a Kilclief midfielder was even worse. A deliberate jump in to the back of his neck with 2 knees when on the ground. Again lucky there was no serious injury. The linesman spotted and reported this but it was only deemed a yellow card.

To me it seemed a deliberate ploy from the Shamrocks management to play this way in the 2nd half and it worked to a degree as they came back into the match. Although as I said I dont want my 6 year old listening to the language etc , I also dont want him watching County player like Rafferty throwing dirty punches when the ball is 60 yards away.

On a brighter note fair play to Drumgath and Ballymartin who produced a good game of football yesterday with some great score in the second half. Saval and Castlewellan was pretty poor overall with probably a fair result. Cant see Saval going much further though

corn02

How are Saval faring.

I found out about frees.

amallon

Wednesday 12th August in Pairc Esler
Down Democrate Junior Hurling Championship - Clonduff v Ballyvarley @ 7.00 pm (Ciaran McGuinness)
Powerade Down Senior Football Championship - Clonduff v Rostrevor @ 8.30 pm (Declan Moore)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Downboy

Apologies havent worked the quote thing out properly.

I fancy Burren to win quite easily this evening. B holland have been a bit hit and miss this year

supersub

where is the match tonight? And aidan is the replay definately 8.30 on wed now?

Downboy

Match tonight in Saval. Think its 7.30

amallon

Replay is defo at 8.30.  If its near as entertaining as last nights its a game not to miss.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

bridgegael

i see ferghal mcconville or'the goalmachine' as he is affectionally known in saval came good again for our neighbours.  great win for them!!  i'd expect ferghal will get the call from the new county manager next year,  he has it all,  pace, power and the height to trouble any defender,  but most of all he is clincal in front of goal.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

THE DADGA

Quote from: amallon on August 10, 2009, 11:27:09 AM
Wednesday 12th August in Pairc Esler
Down Democrate Junior Hurling Championship - Clonduff v Ballyvarley @ 7.00 pm (Ciaran McGuinness)

couldn't get a worse ref for a championship match, blows it up for a marker chasing his man fcuk sake!!!

Brick Tamlin

been to few of the games over the weekend too and have to agree with previous poster about referees. The standard across the board is rank. Eugene O Hare from Dromara sent off 4 men in injury time on saturday nights championship clash. Standard handbags session in a incident-free game from what i believe and yet he brandished 4 straight reds, apparently got the wrong men too.

as for the on field stuff, entertaining as some of the games were, its same old story with championship, Bridge will walk it in their sleep unless Burren get their act together.

Nailed On

Quote from: bridgegael on August 10, 2009, 01:51:13 PM
i see ferghal mcconville or'the goalmachine' as he is affectionally known in saval came good again for our neighbours.  great win for them!!  i'd expect ferghal will get the call from the new county manager next year,  he has it all,  pace, power and the height to trouble any defender,  but most of all he is clincal in front of goal.

What age is he?

Bitta-Banter

Mid Down Gael

Burren hammered Ballyholland. I left with 10 minutes to go and there was 15 points in it.