Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobbller

amallon

Liatroim were just slightly the better team tonight.  I didn't see the sending off but neutrals seemed to think it was the right decision.  PP and Aidan O'Prey were every good and both took some good scores.  Who was the Liatroim num 13 small lad but very hard to mark? 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

Quote from: amallon on August 06, 2009, 10:44:53 PM
Liatroim were just slightly the better team tonight.  I didn't see the sending off but neutrals seemed to think it was the right decision.  PP and Aidan O'Prey were every good and both took some good scores.  Who was the Liatroim num 13 small lad but very hard to mark? 

Paul Burns I think. He worked like a wee terrier as well.

Barry Kelly definitely deserved to go as he swang at your boy. Ciaran Branningan seen it from the line and then alerted the ref.

This group of Stone players is still to realise its potential I think. We havent seen the last of them.

Trevor Hill

Anyone got tonights teamsheets?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Trevor Hill on August 06, 2009, 11:01:47 PM
Anyone got tonights teamsheets?

Longstone

1 C Trainor 2 G Burden 3 E Quinn 4 J Magee 5 M Doran 6 B Kelly 7 C Smyth 8 P Trainor 9 A Rodgers 10 C Poland 11 M Poland 12 S Doran 13 R Kelly 14 B Doran 15 C Doran.
sub- M Ireland for C Doran

Liatroim

1 H Smyth 2 R Burns 3 A Rice 4 P Middleton 5 S OHiggins 6 D OHiggins 7 D Rice 8 T Armstrong 9 M McCartan 10 L Morgan 17 C McCrickard 12 PP McCartan 13 P Burns 14 A OPrey 15 A Brown.
Blood sub- C Bannon for A Rice

Referee: Damian Laverty (Drumaness)

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on August 06, 2009, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: amallon on August 06, 2009, 10:44:53 PM

Paul Burns I think. He worked like a wee terrier as well.

Barry Kelly definitely deserved to go as he swang at your boy. Ciaran Branningan seen it from the line and then alerted the ref.

This group of Stone players is still to realise its potential I think. We havent seen the last of them.

Agree. Cormac Poland would have tightened up their full back line. Kelly was silly, 14 men for that long on a big pitch made it very difficult. Think Frank Dawson will see out the league but i think the stone will want a change, heard rumours off discontent with some players and frank this year.

lfdown2

A Liatroim win & and a killcoo man losing money betting agin us, hard to beat!!

;D ;D

southdown

There is definitely a lot of potential in the Stone.  10 of the starting line up are under 26, the whole forward line is very young.  There will be a championship within the next few years with this team if they get their act together. 

spiritof91and94

Quote from: southdown on August 07, 2009, 08:42:58 AM
There is definitely a lot of potential in the Stone.  10 of the starting line up are under 26, the whole forward line is very young.  There will be a championship within the next few years with this team if they get their act together. 

Lets be serious about Longstone and winning a championship - that boat sailed two years ago in Newry (suspension to Barry Kelly didnt help either), two years in a row Liatroim have dumped them against all odds. They are too small throughout and could not cope with liatroims big players. The Stone 'star' men didnt have the stomach for it last night when it was needed.
Kelly has been around long enough to know the score and he had to go.

Dawson should go now - they can win Kilmacud without him!

Fair play to Jarlath Austin he is doing a good job with limited resources.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 07, 2009, 08:32:51 AM

;D ;D

Thats the joys off gambling. Im sure many fontenoys will be betting against Kilcoo tonight. Its only a matter off the ford turning up by the sounds off it. Anyway a Liatroim win makes for a better festival this weekend.  :)

lfdown2

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 07, 2009, 09:24:20 AM
Quote from: lfdown2 on August 07, 2009, 08:32:51 AM

;D ;D

Thats the joys off gambling. Im sure many fontenoys will be betting against Kilcoo tonight. Its only a matter off the ford turning up by the sounds off it. Anyway a Liatroim win makes for a better festival this weekend.

I know surely but had to get the dig in!

thewobbler

I'd have to agree with Spirit there. Longstone's big chance was two seasons ago. Their current team is full of fine footballers, but they don't have the physical power to take out the likes of Liatroim, Burren, Loughinisland or Mayobridge on a dirty Championship evening.

D4S

Disappointed with last nights result.  Barry Kelly got a straight red for swinging at a Liatroim player who was 1 of 2 who were pulling at his jersey and in his face.  Of course he should have walked away but regrettably didn't, he didn't connect and I'd say if this had of been a league game 9 times out of 10 he would have stayed on the field but been very lucky to do so. 

The sending off sprung longstone into action and  we played some super stuff in the first 15 minutes going 4-1 up, but really we should have been up about 5 points at least with a couple of convertable frees missed.  Mark Poland was super in the first half he completely roasted the number 6 Higgins, and when they put 2 men on him for the last 10 of the half he was still playing well.  They really tightened things up in the 2nd half dropping their extra man back and utilised him very well, giving the Longstone forwards no space and leaving Mark frustrated at being kept out of the game.  Liatroim got a few excellent scores the 2nd half from O' Prey & PP McCartan who made some really strong runs through our defence, which meant we were always chasing this 2nd half. 

With 10 to go we levelled it at 11-11 and the game was still there for the taking but errors + the lack of space upfront meant we could never get that point in front which we needed psychologically.  No one has mentioned it yet but the referee could have played at least another minute to a minute + a  half at the end of the game. 3 minutes were called and straight away there was a stoppage of a minute + a half, the ref still only played exactly 3 minutes stoppage time, even though longstone had just won the ball in the middle of the field and were on the attack.  Disappointing to say the least.  On the whole a draw may have been a fair result as longstone did battle on for the whole match with 14 men, too many players underperformed on the night so maybe they deserved another shot at it to redeem themselves but it wasn't to be.  Congrats to the Liatroim management who used their extra man very effectively which essentially won them the game.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Maiden1

Quote from: Square Ball on August 06, 2009, 04:27:15 PM
Quote from: D4S on August 06, 2009, 11:30:27 AM
Tonights Betting!

5/4 Liatroim  6/1   Longstone 4/6
5/6   +1.5                -1.5      5/6

5/2 Ardglass  7/1   Carryduff  1/3
5/6      +4.5             -4.5     5/6

this will be tight game and may be worth a wee punt on Ardglass

Good call SB
There are no proofs, only opinions.