Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpauls

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2009, 02:06:22 PM
i was told his runs were being blocked and the incident happened. all of us who have played have been in that situation before and would know about the tussling that takes place to get free, this was a very unfortunate occasion and there is no way serious injury was intended

his runs were being blocked! so that would mean our player would have had to have been infromt of him when the incident took place. strange that, saying as the Bredagh player swung his elbow back in to his jaw, with so much force that it broke it so badly that he needs a plate inserted into it? if it had just been some tussling then it would not have been such a bad injury, perhaps a bit of bruising, not a broken jaw!!

dodgy umpire

why are you so sure it was an elbow? my sympathies are with the injured player but there is no way you can claim that the bredagh player intended to break his jaw

Quote from: behind the wire on August 05, 2009, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2009, 02:06:22 PM
i was told his runs were being blocked and the incident happened. all of us who have played have been in that situation before and would know about the tussling that takes place to get free, this was a very unfortunate occasion and there is no way serious injury was intended

i wasnt at the game, didn't see the incident and havent heard the right way of it but if it is true that his jaw is broken to the extent that he needs a plate and has lost teeth im almost positive that the words in bold are total rubbish.

then dont make serious assumptions

The Boys in Red and Black are back

stpauls

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2009, 02:46:33 PM
why are you so sure it was an elbow?

does it matter if it was an elbow, fist or foot? which ever part of the body was used, there was enough force and intent behind it to cause serious injury. the fact he didn't intend to break his jaw is irrelavent, he was out to do damage, full stop!

behind the wire

I made a reasonable assumption.

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

thewobbler

Having witnessed something similar to this above happen to a clubmate a few months ago, I'd be fully behind one year bans for players involved in such incidents, and that the ban is extended to the whole club if they don't nominate the player involved. I can't recall anyone ever getting their jaw broke in a tackle. These things happen in one-off incidents.

Whether the offender intends to cause injury is irrelevant - drink drivers don't mean to mow down pedestrians, but it is a possible side effect of their actions, and one that they are aware of before engaging. Year long bans instead of two month bans hidden behind club officials and secrecy would go a long way towards preventing the problem.

dodgy umpire

with respect , i dont think its reasonable to say that a player set out to seriously injure another player when , as you say, the facts are not clear

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2009, 03:21:08 PM
Having witnessed something similar to this above happen to a clubmate a few months ago, I'd be fully behind one year bans for players involved in such incidents, and that the ban is extended to the whole club if they don't nominate the player involved. I can't recall anyone ever getting their jaw broke in a tackle. These things happen in one-off incidents.

Whether the offender intends to cause injury is irrelevant - drink drivers don't mean to mow down pedestrians, but it is a possible side effect of their actions, and one that they are aware of before engaging. Year long bans instead of two month bans hidden behind club officials and secrecy would go a long way towards preventing the problem.

i agree, but it should also be a factor in determining any sanction should one be imposed. there is a difference between say going up and striking someone with intent to injure and something happening during a tussel. i just think we should wait until the facts are known
The Boys in Red and Black are back

stpauls

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2009, 03:25:06 PM
with respect , i dont think its reasonable to say that a player set out to seriously injure another player when , as you say, the facts are not clear

i agree, but it should also be a factor in determining any sanction should one be imposed. there is a difference between say going up and striking someone with intent to injure and something happening during a tussel. i just think we should wait until the facts are known

i know the facts and there was no 'tussling' going on the the time of the incident.

behind the wire

where did your last post go dodgy?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

mournerambler

Quote from: Town Gael on August 05, 2009, 12:11:05 PM
Quote from: meatsy86 on August 05, 2009, 11:51:57 AM
The word on the grapevine is that castlewellan failed to field against clonduff on monday night in the ACFL Div1 re-fixture. Apparently the ref deemed the pitch playable and was out on the field with clonduff players ready for throw-in when castlewellan took themselves off to train at the bann road pitch. The ref threw the ball in and subsequently blew the match off. Any truth in this?

Yup. Castlewellan contacted the county board early on Monday to say they thought the pitch was dangerously soft on the dugout side of the field and the pitch was unplayable. They also asked Seamus Walsh to inspect the pitch. He said it was unplayable but the decision was not down to him. The county board told them to get an official ref to inspect the pitch and make a call. So Castlewellan did this and the ref agreed it was unplayable.  The relevant people from Clonduff and the county board were informed around 1pm of this official decision and told to postpone the match. Someone in the county board then decided this was not on and told Clonduff and the ref to turn up. However when Barry Andrews eventually turned up the Castlewellan players had all long gone and had started to train on their Dublin Road pitch. He then overturned the earlier decision, claimed the pitch was not dangerous and awarded Clonduff the points.

You decide who is to blame.

Same old story then 'town gael', referee's fault as per usual, I look forward to the day that you are able to submit a post that doesn't point the finger of blame at the match referee.

Town Gael

Quote from: mournerambler on August 05, 2009, 04:08:55 PM
The word on the grapevine is that castlewellan failed to field against clonduff on monday night in the ACFL Div1 re-fixture. Apparently the ref deemed the pitch playable and was out on the field with clonduff players ready for throw-in when castlewellan took themselves off to train at the bann road pitch. The ref threw the ball in and subsequently blew the match off. Any truth in this?

Yup. Castlewellan contacted the county board early on Monday to say they thought the pitch was dangerously soft on the dugout side of the field and the pitch was unplayable. They also asked Seamus Walsh to inspect the pitch. He said it was unplayable but the decision was not down to him. The county board told them to get an official ref to inspect the pitch and make a call. So Castlewellan did this and the ref agreed it was unplayable.  The relevant people from Clonduff and the county board were informed around 1pm of this official decision and told to postpone the match. Someone in the county board then decided this was not on and told Clonduff and the ref to turn up. However when Barry Andrews eventually turned up the Castlewellan players had all long gone and had started to train on their Dublin Road pitch. He then overturned the earlier decision, claimed the pitch was not dangerous and awarded Clonduff the points.

Same old story then 'town gael', referee's fault as per usual, I look forward to the day that you are able to submit a post that doesn't point the finger of blame at the match referee.
I stated the facts mourneslabber, I didn't blame anyone. FACT- AN OFFICIAL REF DEEMED THE PITCH UNPLAYABLE BFORE ANOTHER REF  OVERULED THIS DECISION-  The points the Town gave up will be of no consequence to them come the end of the season

mournerambler

Quote from: Town Gael on August 05, 2009, 05:17:23 PM
Quote from: mournerambler on August 05, 2009, 04:08:55 PM

I stated the facts mourneslabber, I didn't blame anyone. FACT- AN OFFICIAL REF DEEMED THE PITCH UNPLAYABLE BFORE ANOTHER REF  OVERULED THIS DECISION-  The points the Town gave up will be of no consequence to them come the end of the season

Oh dear, I knew we'd see the towny side of you sooner or later ;)

Minus15

Liatriom v Longstone        
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Junior Football Championship

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught

down6061689194

Whelland threw the elbow in O'se on Monday, had he been the height of your average player it would have hit the jaw, in saying that though how often does the little elbow to get away from a man break a jaw? Certainly not as often as the full on blow intended to injure.

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2009, 03:25:06 PM

As someone who was at the game and witnessed the incident I can tell you that the incident happened 50 meters away from where the ball was.. Also the referee had his back to it as he was following play and couldn't have seen what happened.  It was a cowardly, Judas act and Bredagh need to root this player out and shame him for his shameful, dispicable, cowardly actions...

DownFanatic

When a player strikes another player with his elbow or fist he is obviously intent on doing damage. He has to take responsibility for actions. Simple as that.

If Bredagh don't put the culprit's name forward then I believe they should be ejected from the League and the Intermediate Championship (should they progress). The club should be fined, the culprit suspended and the three office bearers suspended as well.