Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 20, 2009, 03:39:49 PM
Wobbler's point is well made, as by and large we have had our best players in the county squad. It is also correct that Walsh and Clarke would not have single-handedly transformed our season, but they remain useful and experienced performers  who would have added competition for places and their omission provided an entirely unnecessary focus for discontent. Both would have to be rated ahead of McArdle, who started our final game against Wicklow, and Boyle and Fegan, who both came off the bench, on all known form.

Of the other names mentioned, James McGovern previously had an extended run in both league and championship without really making the grade. Parr has always looked a decent prospect at both club and underage level, and should at least be in the next McKenna Cup squad. Colgan seems to be a much more complex story.  He may lack pace, but he is strong, confident and uses the ball well - his long fist passes alone would give us a useful option, and he has proved himself at minor, u21 and Sigerson level. He made a reasonable, if belated, debut against Armagh in the USC last year, but was immediately dropped for the rest of the qualifiers and has not had a look in since. While this is probably down to attitude, he should still get at least a couple of league games to allow a considered decision on his worth.

However, regardless of who is in charge next year, they will still have to work with the same basic resources. Our team selections have generally started with something which is fairly close to the best 15, but our tactics and our use of subs have been frequently ineffective.

You hit the nail on the head with everything you said Mourne Rover. This is exactly the thoughts off many Down gaels. Ross tried, didnt please everyone but 3 years is plenty for any man who is unsucessful in inter county management. Ross would be better off stepping down now and let someone else at it.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 20, 2009, 02:27:44 PM
Quote from: Town Gael on July 20, 2009, 02:25:49 PM
They certainly gave players form lower clubs a chance- last season there were 7 Shamrocks players on the initial Down panel !! 7 players they thought were county standard yet weren't good enough to get out of Division 2!!!

They'll be getting out of it this year alright :)

Are they looking likely for relegation? how on earth are shamrocks in this position with the players they have available to them?

DownFanatic

Connolly Cup Semi Final
Aughlisnafin 0-06  Ardglass 1-15

Ardglass have now made their seventh final in a row and are going for their seventh successive success in this tournament.

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: Town Gael on July 20, 2009, 02:25:49 PM
They certainly gave players form lower clubs a chance- last season there were 7 Shamrocks players on the initial Down panel !! 7 players they thought were county standard yet weren't good enough to get out of Division 2!!!

THANK f**k THE SHAMROCKS PLAYERS WILL NOT GET BACK ON THE PANEL IF THEM TWO NOBS DONT GET BACK IN! WITH THE EXCEPTION OF DEE RAFF!
IT WAS A COMPLETE JOKE TO HAVE SEVEN ON THE PANEL! NEARLY AS BAD AS CARR TAKING ON AIDAN ON SAT, JOKE!!!

Trevor Hill

While the decision to take young Hanna off was a strange one, I dont think Aidan Carrs inclusion in the team can be questioned. He is a fine footballer, though not a defender in my book, and would be on the team no matter who is managing the team.
At what stage was there 7 Shamrocks players on the panel?

gaahead2008

Shamrocks players on County panel
1. Damian Rafferty
2. Martin Rafferty
3. Kevin McGuigan
4. Hugh Davey
5 Brendan Loughran
6.?
7.?
Fill in the blanks?

A Carr has been tried at full back, half back, left half back, chf - He has had plently of opportunitys, alot more than others on the panel. the damage his man usually does over rules his free taking conversions. whilst he has the potential to be a good club player, i doubt his abilty at inter county level.

DownFanatic

Connolly Cup Semi Final
Dromara 0-03  Dundrum 2-11

Ardglass v Dundrum in the Final on Friday night at 8pm.
Dromara v Ardglass in the Damien McCashin Shield Final at 7.15pm on Friday night.

Ardglass beat Aghaderg 6-12 to 0-06 in Division 3 last Friday night.

thewobbler

I think Kieran Courtney and Eoin Magennis were called up at one stage, although I don't know if either accepted.

Trevor Hill

I dont recall Loughran ever being on the panel and if you exclude Martin Rafferty then the other 3 are/were there on merit. McGuigan

Mid Down Gael

Brendan Loughran has been there 3 years and dont think played a game because he was always injured but he remained on squad.
Aidan Carr is worth his place on squad surely but he is an average player and will never be in the same league as his father as a footballer. He is free taker for Down but is 4th choice free taker for Clonduff behind John Fegan, Jason Brown and Finbar McConnville. This is indeed very strange. In Aidans defence i think he has been thrown about in too many positions under Ross. In his first season he wore number 11 and since has been half back, Full back and then wing forward against Fermanagh this year.
I also dont understand how Peter Turley, Kevin Duffin and Peter Fitzpatrick who where deemed good enough to start against Fermanagh have seen no game time since. There was a lot worse players than these guys that day. In 3 years Ross has got no where near a settled consistent team. I think in 3 years managing the same bunch of players you should be close to knowing your best team.

T O Hare

Senior Championship

Liatriom v Longstone       
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Junior Football Championship

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 22, 2009, 01:49:15 PM
Brendan Loughran has been there 3 years and dont think played a game because he was always injured but he remained on squad.

Dont think he ever made the championship panel, I know he played a few games when Ross first took over but cannot recall him appearing since.

DownFanatic

Quote from: T O Hare on July 22, 2009, 03:19:12 PM
Senior Championship

Liatriom v Longstone       
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship