Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Just on the topic of structures within our county I think one of the main issues is the availability of pitches. I hear there that last night the Down U-21's had to train on Banbridge Rugby ground while on Saturday they have to train at the Dub. There has to be at least one pitch in the county that has the quality of surface required for 2/3 nights a week training.

johnneycool

The whole raft of issues such as the underperforming football and hurling teams, county training facilities, juvenile coaching and competition structures really needs reviewed desperately within the county but where do you start?

Firstly the county isn't sound financially as we still have a huge debt hanging over us so that is really going to impede any potential initiatives. We can all argue about the rights and wrongs of the marshes development, but it's happening and draining all the financial resources of the county with club Down trying its best to keep it going. Long and short term that debt needs cleared and the only way I can see that happening is to sell Newcastle to Tesco's or whoever.

Bryansford would obviously need rehoused somewhere close to their current location and then use the rest to develop at least half a dozen pitches in the Castlewellan area which can be used all year round by the county teams who at the minute are running around trying to sort pitches every night, not good for players, managers alike.

In the meantime the current coaching structures need looked at, are we coaching the wrong things? Are the competitions in place to suppliment the coaching? Are development squads the right approach, are we casting too many youngsters aside too early?

I'd like to see this type of review happening rather than blaming Ross Carr or whoever is doing their damned best with what they've got at their disposal

amallon

Why do the Ford need to be looked after?  Can they not be told to get lost and buy their own pitch like most other clubs in the county have done?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on March 14, 2007, 05:07:11 PM
Why do the Ford need to be looked after?  Can they not be told to get lost and buy their own pitch like most other clubs in the county have done?

AMallon, Bryansford would need looked after because the simple fact is they have a 38 year lease and in contractual terms this means they could sit there and not budge for 38 years even if the sale went through to a developer/retailer.
They also upkeep the pitch,clubhouse and ground with no assistance from the Down board and given the high levels of vandalism that occurs each weekend in St.Pat's Park this is a considerably tough job on its own. The pitch was relaid 2 years ago again at bryansfords expense.
So johnney has it right and they will need looked after and looked after well before any deal is considered.

So in simple terms your argument is a no-goer from the start.

johnneycool

Quote from: amallon on March 14, 2007, 05:07:11 PM

I think its only right that they are recompensed for any inconvenience they may incur plus if we are to make any inroads into the developement of gaelic games, the clubs in Newcastle and Downpatrick and any other large populated areas need all the help they can get. It's a damn sight easier to buy land in rural area's than it is in towns etc.

thegael

What is needed is an economic report on why  there is such a financial mess in Down GAA.

A reputable group of financial consultants (without links to current or previous county board officers) should be employed to carry out an analysis of the whole situation and why and how this situation has been reached to avoid something similar in the future.

A get out of jail card by virtue of the sale of Newcastle is too short sighted.We need to know why we are in this mess and to avoid this ever happening again.

Selling the family silver is a very lazy way of planning for the future.

snatter

QuoteWhy do the Ford need to be looked after?  Can they not be told to get lost and buy their own pitch like most other clubs in the county have done?

There aren't any large enough sites availabe to buy on the open market in Newcastle.  Down District Council have (at long last) agreed to provide a gaelic pitch in Donard park, but there's no room there for any more. Bryansford has so many teams, its needs at least three pitches to cater for them all.

If they move out to an outlying village like Bryansford or Maghera, then the GAA have basically given up on Newcastle - it would turn into another Crossgar - large Catholic population, 100% soccer with no meaningful GAA presence.
As the rural population moves to towns, the GAA should be trying to strengthen its urban presence, not give it up.

The Bryansford club has spent 100's of thousands building its clubrooms and rebuilding the pitches, etc. I'm no economist, but at today's prices, their expenditure would be way way over the half million mark.

Blue Island

- If they move out to an outlying village like Bryansford or Maghera, then the GAA have basically given up on Newcastle - it would turn into another Crossgar - large Catholic population, 100% soccer with no meaningful GAA presence.-

Very good points and very valid. You only have to look at Bredagh's plight to see the value of owning grounds within an urban area catchment. Bryansford's wishes should be paramount. They did not look for their own pitch because they wisely obtained a long lease on their present ground. It is not their fault the county have screwed up the finances.

However, your example of Crossgar is maybe not the most appropriate. A group from Crossgar approached the County board about ten years ago and made an application to start a GAA team. It was no half arsed attempt and was backed by monied men within the village (for eg The Bells) . The County board refused their application and that is why there is no GAA team in Crossgar.

thegael

The point is we are in this situation.

why?

when this is answered we can then make sure that it doesn't happen again .

Forget about the merits of selling Newcastle , before we come to that issue the reasons why we are in this position should be sorted out.

It is a bit like lending a gambler money what will he do with it ? So before even coming to the issue of Newcastle we need the opinion of unbiased financial consultants / gurus call them what you like to see why we are here and to prevent it happening again , a big lump sum from a shopping multiple hides these issues.

It has to be done in a professional manner. It is not as if we are being run by entrepeneurs like Sean Quinn etc and we can trust their judgements, we cannt so we must have a proffesional appraisall of why we are in this position.

So before moving on we must know why we are in the position we are in now and what the county board has actually done to find out why we are in such a position . What has been done as opposed to just thinking about  the sale of Newcastle and a new facility.

The issue of giving up on urban areas like Newcastle is very grave indeed.

snatter

Blue island

QuoteA group from Crossgar approached the County board about ten years ago and made an application to start a GAA team. It was no half arsed attempt and was backed by monied men within the village (for eg The Bells) . The County board refused their application and that is why there is no GAA team in Crossgar.

I'm aware of that - a moronic mistake if you ask me. It was done after the euphoria of the all-irelands and the county board backed down in face of protests from Darragh Cross who were concerned about losing their catchment area.
well here we are, 15 years down the line and Darragh Cross haven't exactly set the GAA world alight in Crossgar have they.
Is there any chance people in crossgar would ever look at this again? The moastery grounds would make a great pitch, but I'nm sure the religious orders would rather sell to developers than the community. (as per Bredagh).

east down gael

thought i'd get the ball rolling on previews for the lower divisions lads.in division four i expect the bottom two places to be filled by aughlisnafin and ballykinlar respectively,with the 'fin taking bottom spot.dromara will i beleive lie just above them,however themselves and possibly ballykinlar could upset one or two teams along the way.as for the rest,st michaels would appear to be the best equipped in terms of personnel with the two sweeneys and declan lavery.they are a strong outfit who could well compete in div 3.so i believe it will be a strong league campaign for the magheralin men culminating in first place and promotion.second place could well be a real dogfight between aghaderg,st johns and drumaness.all are even enough,however i predict aghaderg to remain in the bottom tier along with st johns.in saying that,i wouldnt be surprised to see any of the three take second spot.
     the third division is extremely close this year.i don't see any teams that cant be beaten by any of the other teams,if you know what i mean,so i'm not even going to bother trying to predict places.drumgath will probably be favourites to go up,and deservedly so after their amazing performances in the intermediate championship last year.ardglass have been knocking on the door for a few years now and should be there or there abouts for the playoffs.tullylish have the experience also to keep consistent during what should be a long season for all squads.the two clubs who took the drop may find it a big wake up call this season,both having had a tough time last year.however it should be remembered that saul took points off some very strong established div 2 teams.glenn are likewise a strong unit with some very able footballers and will prove a match for most teams.as for the rest,where to begin.dundrum are a very organised squad with a serious asset in paul mccomiskey up front,meaning the scores will come,if they can hold teams at the back they too could take a play-off place.bredagh might possibly be considered in the chasing pack,but it must be remembered that they had a clear run at the league last year,resulting in an easier season and less chances to pick up injuries.this will be a more gruelling year,and so teams they dispatched of in the junior will not necessarily be despatched of this time round.i will put them in with teconnaught,bosco and mitchells as the mid table grouping,with one maybe breaking off to chase at the play-offs,while another could fall behind into the relegation battle.whichever of the teams does fall behind i expect will be joined by bright,who struggled last year in a less competitive division,and st pauls who may suffer from a lack of experience and the loss of their manager to tullylish.
     but as i have said,this division is wide open,noone will run away with it,and it should go to the wire.
        also lads,i've noticed abit of touchyness on the board,so if i've offended anybody or any club please accept my apologies as this was not my intention.

Square Ball

How dare you accuse people of being touchy, check of you ;)

Some fine points you have made, think that Ardglass could win the division as they have come close a few times, there time may have come, but they have lost one of their major players I believe (name escapes me) Bredagh will scock a few teams and can push for a play off place. Dundrum will do well, but only if McComiskey plays well, they rely on him too much. Cant wair for it all to start
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

east down gael

dundrum may rely on young mccomiskey alot,but he is a man you can rely on,especially for scores.plus they have a few other players well capable of turning games.my only concern for them is there defence,i don't rate it high enough.i'm wary of tipping bredagh for big things,like i said they had an easy run last year,winning everything they were expected to(i.e the antrim hurlers).but this year they are in a highly competitive division with teams who are equally ambitious as themselves.however,as i alluded to in my previous post,one of the middle pack will break away and chase for the playoffs and i wouldnt rule the belfast men out of it.though i think they might take a year to sttle into competitive football after so long in the wilderness.
  the games between bosco,teconnaught,mitchells,bredagh,dundrum and st pauls will i imagine take on a heat close to championship football,and whoever rises to this will be the team to get to the play offs.i'll tell you this now lads,boys are talking about the closest div 2 in years,but div 3 is so tight that the teams tipped for the drop could be in the promotion playoffs and vice versa,every week will provide a drama.
   my main concern however is div 4.any views on it?who will be the next mayobridge?

Square Ball

Bredagh are playing Ardglass in their first match and this may show where they will place in the division, time will tell. As for a new Mayobridge from Div 4, dont think so!!

Think St Michaels will win the 4th, too many good player not to.

Square Ball

no, cant even go for a drink FFS