Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

The Bridge do seem to be that wee bit ahead of everyone, both on and off the field.

supersub

Is mallon responsbile for the programmes at the bridge matches? He puts in some amount of PR work for his club. If there was someone like that in all the clubs, Down Gaa would be some set up!

Trevor Hill

Quote from: supersub on July 01, 2009, 11:00:25 AM
Is mallon responsbile for the programmes at the bridge matches? He puts in some amount of PR work for his club. If there was someone like that in all the clubs, Down Gaa would be some set up!

Pity we didnt have someone like him at county level.

T O Hare

Aidan Mallon and Paul Rooney are the mainmen behind the programme and website!!!! A new inclusion to the website.. 1994 south Down U16final highlights between the Bridge and Clonduff.. Mallon had a sweet left foot ;) ;)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lusDiu97VI&feature=channel_page
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

supersub

Overthebar!

surely you could do that for rostrevor supersub?

Leo

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 01, 2009, 11:07:42 AM

Pity we didnt have someone like him at county level.

Is this the same A Malon who has been appointed PRO by Club Down and is already making his mark there?
Fierce tame altogether

supersub

Quote from: Overthebar! on July 01, 2009, 12:49:27 PM
surely you could do that for rostrevor supersub?

ah I could but time is precious you see otb!! Enough involvment with the game/club as it is  ;)

umpire

Supersub
Rostrevor have biggest membership in Down and they dont have any programmes for home matches.

T O'Hare
Adrain Barry is missing last night as well as those as you mentioned,
Yep , its hard to get a place on Bridge team at the moment

T O Hare

Quote from: umpire on July 01, 2009, 03:08:12 PM
Supersub
Rostrevor have biggest membership in Down and they dont have any programmes for home matches.

T O'Hare

i edited it earlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

supersub

Quote from: umpire on July 01, 2009, 03:08:12 PM
Supersub

T O'Hare

I know we don't, thats what I am saying - it should be done!!

Ps 10,000th reply on the thread well done umpire  :)

umpire

T O'Hare

My apologies
You did indeed menioned Pluggy Barry.
What happen to other great players Brendan Rooney, Brendan Rodgers and Darragh Tighe

Congratulation to Bridge seconds on winning in Kilcoo. i thought that Kilcoo was the hottest favourite to win this year PRFC!!

T O Hare

Quote from: umpire on July 01, 2009, 05:02:09 PM
T O'Hare

My apologies
You did indeed menioned Pluggy Barry.
What happen to other great players Brendan Rooney, Brendan Rodgers and Darragh Tighe

Congratulation to Bridge seconds on winning in Kilcoo. i thought that Kilcoo was the hottest favourite to win this year PRFC!!

Brendan Rooney is travelling down under, hewill be home in a few weeks while Brendan Rodgers and Darragh Tighe could not commit due to their jobs!!!!!!

It was some win, Kilcoo have been coasting in the league but we seemd to hit form at the right time!!!! We found a new player in this past few weeks and he has helped us a lot!!!!! He is extremley quick and can score from anywhere... some young lad called Linden :D ;)

amallon

That was my inaccurate report which came from hoganstand.  The reason there are so many incorrect players on the Kilcoo side is because Kilcoo gave a dud team for the match program which is fair enough but when asked if there were any changes just before the game started we were told they were playing as per program.  We announced over the PA that Kilcoo would line out as per program only to notice they had made a pile of changes a few minutes into the game.  What they think they gained by doing this apart from making our PA and myself look stupid its hard to know.

This is one of the items we ran in last nights program.

Mid Term Report – Down Senior Football Division 1

Mayobridge – Grade B
Mayobridge have ground out some decent results with hard work rather than the flair associated with 'Bridge teams of previous years.  The Championship examination is still quite some time away so there is plenty of time for extra revision.

Bryansford – Grade A*
How Bryansford got themselves relegated to Division two at the end of the season before last is an absolute mystery to Down football people.  However the stint in Division 2 didn't do the 'Ford any harm as the time away seems to have focused minds and they are playing some excellent football and sitting nicely in second place.  With Pete McGrath in charge one can be guaranteed that they will go into the championship well prepared and will be a difficult proposition for most teams.

Castlewellan – Grade A
Castlewellan can be happy with their first terms work which see's them sitting in third position two points behind rivals Bryansford with a game in hand.  The pick of Castlewellan's results have been impressive wins against Mayobridge at home and an away win in Burren.  The lows have been defeats against Bryansford and Rostrevor early in the season.

Longstone – Grade D
Longstone are still trying to recover their 2007 form and have been shaky enough this season.  Down so badly need Ambrose Rodgers back to his best and this is even more so true for Longstone.  Ambrose was the driving force behind the Stone reaching the 2007 county final and without him they are a shadow of themselves.  Thankfully Ambrose is making progress and all Down Gaels will be wishing him all the best on his road to recovery.  The pick of Longstone's results this season would be their recent away win in Burren, the lows would have been home defeats to Mayobridge and Kilcoo.

Kilcoo – Grade C
Kilcoo seemed to suffer a miss-fire early in the season loosing their first two games against Rostrevor and Mayobridge, by their third game they had their game heads on and went to the Stone and got a good win.  Good wins over Saval and Clonduff followed before they narrowly lost a high scoring game against Bryansford.  Returning to winning ways Burren, Loughinisland  and Liatroim were accounted for.  A severely depleted Kilcoo team then could only manage a draw with Warrenpoint then lost against Castlewellan before recovering against Rostrevor.  Injuries and suspensions have taken their toll but Kilcoo are still on course for a top four place and if they can get more of their established players back for the money part of the season they won't be far away.

Liatroim – Grade B+
Liatroim get a B+ not so much for achievement but for improvement instead.  At the start of this season many would have thought they were relegation contenders but Liatroim are a different prospect this season.  They are no longer the push over physically they were in previous years have much more bite about them.  A draw in Burren in round one opened some eyes but this was put down to rustiness on Burren's part, Liatroim dispelled this myth when they went on to beat Clonduff and Rostrevor before pushing Mayobridge all the way only ending up loosing the game by the smallest of margins.  Relegation dodgers Saval, Loughinsland and Warrenpoint were all well beaten.  Kilcoo proved too strong for them but they bounced back to beat Castlewellan before loosing to Bryansford.  

Burren – Grade D+
I expected much more of Burren this season than for them to sitting in the bottom half of the table.  Burren have the ability but have failed to produce it on too many occasions this season.  Defeats against Castlewellan, Kilcoo, Longstone and Bryansford have really dented their season.  Draws against Liatroim, Mayobridge and Saval haven't helped their league position either.  Burren certainly will be championship contenders no matter what their league position suggests and no one will fancy drawing them.

Rostrevor – Grade D-
When John Rafferty went to Rostrevor many thought this would be the missing link that would see the reds deliver on the undoubted potential which exists within the club.  Their early season form suggested this was the case when they won their first two games quite convincingly.   However question marks arose when Rostrevor were four points worse than Liatroim, these question marks grew bigger when they were hammered by Burren, beaten by Saval , well beaten by the Bridge, stuffed by Clonduff and recently beaten by Kilcoo.  There is a lot of work to do in Rostrevor before the championship deadline.

Saval – Grade C
Saval get this C grade for endeavour.  They have lost six games but some of those losses have been by very narrow margins.   Saval have beaten the three teams below them in the league table but if they are to get out of the relegation they must start taking points from the teams directly above them.  The highs of their season would be the draw with Burren and the beating of Rostrevor.  Their most recent result a draw against Loughinisland doesn't do much to help them in their relegation predicament.

Clonduff – Grade F
Clonduff are in BIG trouble.  With 3 teams going down this season being in the bottom 4 is not a nice place to be.  There were some signs for optimism in their last game when they had a 6 point win over Rostrevor.  Clonduff are currently 7 points behind 5th from bottom Rostrevor and closing that gap to escape the bottom four is a big challenge but not impossible.  Bryansford showed two seasons ago that no club is too big to get relegated, Clonduff need to take note and quick.

Loughinisland – Grade F-
Playing without talisman Dan Gordon for most of the first half of the league one would have expected last years county finalists to be a bit less competitive but one couldn't have foreseen the complete collapse that has materialised.  Escaping the bottom four is looking very unrealistic for the 'Island and all they can hope for at this stage is to avoid automatic relegation and to struggle through the play offs to maintain their division 1 status.

Warrenpoint – Grade F
The Point have an awful lot to do if their stay in Down's top flight is to be anything more than a flying visit.  With the bottom team facing automatic relegation Warrenpoint will at want to grab  themselves a playoff spot and a chance to play their way out of trouble.  With Clonduff, Loughinisland and Saval looking likely to be making up the bottom four getting through the playoffs would be a massive ask for the Point.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

D4S

Great feature to have A Mallon, Well Done! If I was to pick at it and go on the defensive I would say I think the 'stone deserve better than a D, I would suggest C+ ;), satisfactory enough but could do better! Granted that we only have Ambrose back playing the last few games, but we were also missing Barry Doran who is a key player for a number of games.  We're sitting in 4th place with a better score difference than Kilcoo, after beating Liatroim away last friday night, but that wouldn't be taken into account as it is in the 2nd half of the league programme I see.   There is a great chance to improve on this grade over the next number of weeks, and perhaps we are getting a decent run at just the right time!  Bryansford will be a big test friday night we need to get up to a B like Mayobridge ;D ;D ;D  Only messin around, seriously good feature well done!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.