Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: No1 on June 24, 2009, 10:48:03 AM
Football and hurling would make sense right enough!

Ballyholland men with sticks....... :o  ;D

:D :D

That reminds of the time I was chatting to a few of the locals in Ventry about Paul Galvin and they were telling me his first love was actually hurling.....one of them said..

"Imagine thon hoor with a schtick!!!" :o
The Aristocrat Years

down_born_bred

Quote from: observer on June 23, 2009, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on June 19, 2009, 01:49:06 PM
Quote from: down_born_bred on June 18, 2009, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on June 17, 2009, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: down_born_bred on June 17, 2009, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 03, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

An Cloch Scoilte - I see the St Marys team beat Glenn yesterday evening. If I remember correctly some of the regular posters didnt know who St Marys were ::) and some tube (T. O'Hare, I think) thought it was a handy draw for Glenn!!. ::) Wonder how handy Glenn feel about it this morning?  :-\They'll be away home with their tails between their legs to lick their wounds..... :) :) :)

Hopefully after the awarding of the Down GAA Gaeltacht Grants we'll have 38 extra people who can translate the club names.

Can grants be awarded to people in Down Cllubs who live outside the county - Bredagh St Michaels etc?

When did we move out of down? jesus i must have been sleeping for a while as i didnt hear anything about this. ;)

Oops - just asking a question ............

but it would be news that all your members were born and currently live in our beloved county!

how many teams dont have a couple of blow in's? admitedly we may have more than most being in the city, but look at both our senior football and senior hurling teams and you will see that they are made up mostly of bredagh natives.

Congratulations to John Devaney (Irish and Culture Officer with Down GAA Board – Bredagh and Eamon Mac Ruairí (Down GAA Irish Language Committee – Carryduff) on all the work they have put in on the promotion of the Irish Language in the North of our county.

It was nice to see it rewarded with eight grants going to Carryduff & four to Bredagh.

As John says 'we are keen to promote the benefits to all young people, regardless of their knowledge or proficiency of the language.'

Congratulations to all below who received the grants.

Orla McCrickard Castlewellan            Emma Boyle Carryduff            Lauren McKiernan Carryduff              Katie Magorrian Carryduff         
Hannah Magorrian CarryduffLaura McGeough Carryduff                Eoghain Rogers Carryduff                Anthony Laverty Liatroim                        Ruairí Campbell Ballyholland + Newry Shamrocks
Cillín Morgan Drumaness         Laura Fletcher Aghaderg         Tiarnáin Curran Bredagh         Micheál Ó Rourke Liatroim
Claren Owens Bryansford         Matthew Nugent Loughinisland    James Lavery Carryduff          Seán Ó Coileain Downpatrick
Caoimhe Fitzpatrick Burren              Tiarnáin Ó Corráin Downpatrick  Sharon Farrell Burren           Philip Cassidy Drumaness
Conor Francis Bredagh           Alana Zimmerman Drumgath                Roisin Murray Bredagh           Michillín Ní Fhloinn Loughinisland
Mark McConville Carryduff               Sarah King Bryansford           Sarah Carvill An Riocht         Clodagh Murray Loughinisland
Declan Turley Downpatrick               Teresa Marsden St Michaels              Catherine Marsden St Michaels   Lucy Doran Bredagh
Ruairí Keenan Ballyholland              Feidhlim Macauley Aghaderg/Ballyvarley                          Oisín Lynch Newry Shamrocks
Siofra Bradley Teconnaught              Ben Rafferty An Riocht         

Hmmm..............

Hope the hard work didn't involve helping the kids fill out their forms and the judging their applications.

???

No1

QuoteNo worse that Kilclief men with sticks! 

Ach now, sure haven't we one of the finest coaches youse ever produced to keep us right these days?  ;D

Mid Down Gael

Division 1 Result

Kilcoo 1-7 Rostrevor 1-3

Two very understrength teams out. Id say both teams where minus up on 8 regulars.

Dubh driocht

Down-born-bred etc ,in terms of filling in applications and judging them, what are you suggesting ?First of all, Eamon Mac Ruairi is a Glasdrumman man, not Carryduff. Secondly, the 4 Bredagh recipients are all active players so no better people to benefit.Thirdly, the criteria was clear and transparent.
I have an interest in this and my child is going to the gaeltacht for the fourth year in a row and this is the first time she has received a contribution form the County Board.
John, Eamon and the others involved deserve our full praise and support for their work, not anonymous sniping based on false information.

passedit

DUBH, I suspect DBB has a real beef about this as he registered specificly to moan about it. I was being flippant as I see the money as well spent to be rid of the little monster for ten days  ;). I am however interested in the criteria for future reference, anywhere I can find it?
Don't Panic

supersub

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 24, 2009, 09:08:52 PM
Division 1 Result

Kilcoo 1-7 Rostrevor 1-3

Two very understrength teams out. Id say both teams where minus up on 8 regulars.

We were missing 7 certain starters with another 3 good players out. Having said that we couldn't have hit a score to save our lives last night!! Poor enough game, was really down to kilcoo putting over the chances in 2nd half tha we missed in 1st half!

5 Sams

Are this weekends games starred lads????  ......would be for minors obviously
The Aristocrat Years

Mid Down Gael

Yeah that was the difference between the sides supersub. Kilcoo made the most of their chances with some great long range scores. The magpies had 9 players missing from the side that started league final against the Bridge in Newry last November. Two very understrength teams out.

supersub

Yeh was very clear to see how understrength both were, however Kilcoo no.9 caught some wonderful ball in the middle of the field during the game! No.12 Barry Kane was it scored a great long range free in 2nd half and followed up with another quick score which really killed the game!

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 25, 2009, 10:13:24 AM
Are this weekends games starred lads????  ......would be for minors obviously
county players are available for this weekend but starred after that id say until Down exit championship as qualifers are played on consecutive weekends. So starrred for remaining two rounds until July fortnight assuming we beat London.

DownFanatic

I was led to believe that Friday nights games were starred. Anyone confirm for definite?

corn02

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 25, 2009, 12:38:44 PM
I was led to believe that Friday nights games were starred. Anyone confirm for definite?

What's starred lads, county players available?

supersub

Quote from: corn02 on June 25, 2009, 12:39:53 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on June 25, 2009, 12:38:44 PM

What's starred lads, county players available?

It means county players cannot play! Well our match was moved to last night and was starred but Colm Murney got permission to play from Ross as he is just coming back from injury! So I presume all tomorow nights matchs are starred!