Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norabeag

In all fairness Ned was shocking and much as I hate criticising refs this year has been as bad as its been for a long time.
We have had some brutal decisions against us but what can you do, no refs no games.

thewobbler

Refereeing has never been a healthy state in our county - not in the past 15 years that I've been watching football anyway. And i don't think today's batch are any worse than their predecessors.

It's interesting that Ned Morgan is being criticised for not taking out the book or the cards, as its a bugbear of mine. I'd have always thought the same about the highly respected Colm Broderick. Broderick was a a fair referee and good to play under, but when chasing a game with 10 minutes to go, opposing teams could simply foul their way to victory, almost assured of never losing a player.

dundrumite

Is this Friday the last set of games for county seniors before the starred system comes into play? When does it come in for the minors?

down_born_bred

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 03, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

An Cloch Scoilte - I see the St Marys team beat Glenn yesterday evening. If I remember correctly some of the regular posters didnt know who St Marys were ::) and some tube (T. O'Hare, I think) thought it was a handy draw for Glenn!!. ::) Wonder how handy Glenn feel about it this morning?  :-\They'll be away home with their tails between their legs to lick their wounds..... :) :) :)

Hopefully after the awarding of the Down GAA Gaeltacht Grants we'll have 38 extra people who can translate the club names.

Can grants be awarded to people in Down Cllubs who live outside the county - Bredagh St Michaels etc?

bredaghgael86

Quote from: down_born_bred on June 17, 2009, 08:55:31 AM
Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

An Cloch Scoilte - I see the St Marys team beat Glenn yesterday evening. If I remember correctly some of the regular posters didnt know who St Marys were ::) and some tube (T. O'Hare, I think) thought it was a handy draw for Glenn!!. ::) Wonder how handy Glenn feel about it this morning?  :-\They'll be away home with their tails between their legs to lick their wounds..... :) :) :)

Hopefully after the awarding of the Down GAA Gaeltacht Grants we'll have 38 extra people who can translate the club names.

Can grants be awarded to people in Down Cllubs who live outside the county - Bredagh St Michaels etc?

When did we move out of down? jesus i must have been sleeping for a while as i didnt hear anything about this. ;)

dodgy umpire

they must have moved the river lagan on us or something
The Boys in Red and Black are back

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: dodgy umpire on June 17, 2009, 01:15:44 PM
they must have moved the river lagan on us or something

Global warming  ;)
i usse an speelchekor

down_born_bred

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on June 17, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

When did we move out of down? jesus i must have been sleeping for a while as i didnt hear anything about this. ;)

Oops - just asking a question ............

but it would be news that all your members were born and currently live in our beloved county!

supersub

big game at the bottom of division 1 tonight! Win for either side would be welcomed greatly, for confidence if anything! However a defeat for l'island could be very detremental to their season as they would be 4 points adrift, and more significantly, still on 0 points! What way do point/island posters feel the game will go?

True Blue

although the point may have only 2 points and have been on the recieving end of a few big scores they have been competitive in quite a number of games. bridge, burren, castlewellan, clonduff, kilcoo second hald of liatriom, we have shown glimpses of good football. But when playing in div 1 you need to have that consistency and the ability to grind out results which just isnt happening. a big gulf between div 2 and div 1. but the league table doesnt tell any lies and ourselves loughinisland and clonduff are not down there for nothing. as for tonights game the point need to be competitive in mid field to halt the presence of dan,whether hes 100% or not he is still a big threat. dont know if magic will start with down SHC with antrim a week away so island may change tactics of searching him with long balls and looking for runners off him. point need to continue from the draw with kilcoo and hoping the likes of john boyle, davo, johnny town and ryan mallon are all on song as a 4 pt cushion going into the second half of the season would be good. only problem from a point view is the island  always do well in moygannon.
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

too long ref

cant understand why loughinisland are at the bottom, i know they were missing a lot of players at the start of the league but most of the main players are back now which is no excuse.  There defence seems to be very suspect, they pass the ball at least 10 times before it passes the half way line.  A lot of big names in the side but they are not performing.  hope they stay up and draw a line in this season and comeback even stronger next season.

lecale4

Quote from: down_born_bred on June 18, 2009, 12:24:32 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on June 17, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

Oops - just asking a question ............

but it would be news that all your members were born and currently live in our beloved county!

You aren't a member of Combat 18 by any chance?

You obvoiusly didn't get your GCSE/O Level Geography!!! ;D

DownFanatic

Quote from: too long ref on June 18, 2009, 02:11:37 PM
cant understand why loughinisland are at the bottom, i know they were missing a lot of players at the start of the league but most of the main players are back now which is no excuse.  There defence seems to be very suspect, they pass the ball at least 10 times before it passes the half way line.  A lot of big names in the side but they are not performing.  hope they stay up and draw a line in this season and comeback even stronger next season.

I put it down to lack of movement in the pre-season transfer market this year. Although they dabbled in the underage market they failed to make a big name signing for the Seniors in the close season. A new director of football might be needed to source out future potential recruits if the Island are to maintain Division 1 status.

P.S - Does anyone have the full Bord na Og MFC Quarter Final draws for the A and B Competitions?

Trevor Hill

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 18, 2009, 05:46:07 PM
I put it down to lack of movement in the pre-season transfer market this year. Although they dabbled in the underage market they failed to make a big name signing for the Seniors in the close season. A new director of football might be needed to source out future potential recruits if the Island are to maintain Division 1 status.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 18, 2009, 05:46:07 PM
Quote from: too long ref on June 18, 2009, 02:11:37 PM

P.S - Does anyone have the full Bord na Og MFC Quarter Final draws for the A and B Competitions?

You hit nail on head there. Half there squad are from other parts of East Down. Joke.