Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guevara

Mid Down Gael I agree Kilcoo were missing a few but we had 6 out as well .....Injuries etc have been a big problem for us all season.
If Mayobridge Kilcoo are missing 3 or 4 they can get away with it with adequate replacements. Unfortunately we dont have same strength & depth & as result have struggled.

What did you make of the Ref??  ::)
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Mourne Rover

Paul Murphy has played for Down at midfield and could well do a job at half forward or in the full back line. However, he is an outstanding wing half back. It is a little surprising that he is hardly known outside our county, but only one person can put that right.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 14, 2009, 12:40:33 AM
Paul Murphy has played for Down at midfield and could well do a job at half forward or in the full back line. However, he is an outstanding wing half back. It is a little surprising that he is hardly known outside our county, but only one person can put that right.

That is the problem in Down, Where exactly is Murphys best position? The manager doesnt seem to know. How can a man that ran Dooher ragged be left on the bench against the likes of Tipperary and Fermangh. Maybe the management are saving him for a big game like Carlow.

Brick Tamlin

not to break up the murphy-love-in or anything lads but if memory serves me right he didnt run Dooher ragged last year. I thought he just did his primary job as a defender and stuck to him like glue, tracked him, harried and hassled him on and off the ball and generally got up his nose and did what all defenders are asked to do but rarely sustain. It was as complete a performance as we have seen from any defender in a Down jersey for a few years and maybe its just been that long since we have seen accomplished no nonsense defending as such that when it actually does come along in a blue moon we all start to cream ourselves. Should we not be asking why we dont have more players playing like this on a more consistent basis. A fine athlete, a fine player, bags of potential for more,a great performance against tyrone last year in one game, lets leave it at that shall we.

f*ck we love to back slap in this county

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: guevara on June 14, 2009, 12:35:51 AM
Mid Down Gael I agree Kilcoo were missing a few but we had 6 out as well .....Injuries etc have been a big problem for us all season.
If Mayobridge Kilcoo are missing 3 or 4 they can get away with it with adequate replacements. Unfortunately we dont have same strength & depth & as result have struggled.

What did you make of the Ref??  ::)

Thought the ref was wild fussy. didnt let game flow at all.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 14, 2009, 08:55:49 AM

We don't really have a lot to back slap about in Down at the minute. I actually rate Murphy as a good defender. A rarity in Down these days.

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 14, 2009, 04:46:27 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 14, 2009, 08:55:49 AM

We don't really have a lot to back slap about in Down at the minute. I actually rate Murphy as a good defender. A rarity in Down these days.

The hurlers are going well at the minute ;D

Pangurban

A lot of reports in the Papers recently re. Co.Players who have sustained injuries in recent days while playing for the Clubs,eg  B.Dooher, B.Brogan . The games in which they were injured were mid table league games. I thought this was great to see, footballers actually playing football and sharpening their game reflexes, unlike what happens in Down where our  stars are not allowed to play in case they get hurt. It has long be apparent that the starred system of games is detrimental to football standards in Down and the Co.Team who often line out for games after not having kicked a competitive ball for weeks. Even if they are phsically fit, which is at times questionable, they lack the quick mental agility and sharp reflexes which can only come from playing games. I am convinced that no improvement in standards at either club or county will emerge until we end the starred system for games, this should be the first decision of our new management team

Trevor Hill

Totally agree with you regarding the starred games.

thegael

well said i couldn't agree more !

now who are we going to get i hope we go for mc iver !

the gael takes no prisoners!!

amallon

How is relegation being worked out this year with 3 teams to go down?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

supersub

Quote from: amallon on June 15, 2009, 09:00:45 AM
How is relegation being worked out this year with 3 teams to go down?

What did you make of the two rostrevor/bridge games over the weekend, if you were at them?! Micky still turnin out for the 2nds and looking class!

amallon

I thought the Bridge put in a good second half performance, Rostrevor were probably slightly the better team in a scrappy first half.  Rostrevor threw the towel in very quickly.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Bitta-Banter

Think someone involved in analysing referee's need to go and watch Ned Morgan in action.He refereed Darragh Cross V RGU the other night.He was awful,equally bad for both teams.Refused to caution or tick players who repeatedly fouled.The RGU corner back must have committed at least 15 fouls on the night and didnt even get ticked.He was allowed to just go on and foul again.It was the same story when Darragh played up in Glassdrumman with Ned.

dundrumite

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on June 15, 2009, 04:38:31 PM
Think someone involved in analysing referee's need to go and watch Ned Morgan in action.He refereed Darragh Cross V RGU the other night.He was awful,equally bad for both teams.Refused to caution or tick players who repeatedly fouled.The RGU corner back must have committed at least 15 fouls on the night and didnt even get ticked.He was allowed to just go on and foul again.It was the same story when Darragh played up in Glassdrumman with Ned.

I'm sure he'll do yous a big favour next time yous get him slating him on this  :o