Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In the Onion Bag

DownFantastic,
Just to say a big well done on getting the league tables onto the board and so early in the season too. 
The thread badly needed this and will benefit greatly from it esp if you can keep on doing it.  Hope you can.

tirnaog

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 01, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
Quote from: tirnaog on May 01, 2009, 05:38:22 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on May 01, 2009, 05:25:14 PM
Quote from: tirnaog on May 01, 2009, 05:21:53 PM
somebody told me today that jack lynch played for Drumgath and has left the down panel can anyone verify this

He plays for Drumgath alright. Heard murmurings that he had left the Down panel but I heard nothing concrete.
what do you think of Lynch on the Down Panel

Good squad player. Offers an alternative around midfield when we come up against a physical oppositiion who like to mix it.
he has plenty of heart and commitment and he can mix it with the best,and now there is a lot of competition for the two midfield positions i wonder what will messers carr and kane do

Square Ball

Bredagh beat St pauls by 7 points I think, away to the pub
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

Quote from: Square Ball on May 01, 2009, 09:07:34 PM
Bredagh beat St pauls by 7 points I think, away to the pub

just back fom the Parador, we deserved the win as we played the better football

In the Onion Bag

Been watching Bredagh v St Pauls games over the past 4 years and they are always entertaining stuff, the way local derbys should be. 
Tonight's game was very fast & hard but still sporting, both sides have obviously developed great respect for each other over recent years. 
Bredagh have always had the edge but I felt the gap was being narrowed each year and, genuinely, thought 2009 was the year that they would beat us at our place. 
However, based on tonight's game St Pauls have gone backwards.   Previously these results were always doubt until the very end but tonight Bredagh won with a lot to spare.   Maybe St Pauls just had a bad day at the office?   
By way of constructive comment, I suggest Pauls need to entrust their youth a chance at this level.  Wishing Pauls, with whom I have a fondness, the best for the season.

NedFlanders

Brodge' to walk away with Division 1
An Riocht will prob walk away with Division 2 - 4 outa 4 after playing some decent and determined sides  ;D

DaUmpire

Was at the East Down 7s this morning in Bright.Great venue for the 7s to be held,plenty of car parking spaces,good changing facilities and two pitches one decent and the other one of the best in the county. When I lefted the town were plyn d'cross in one semi with ardglass an b'ford playning in the other.More than likely a town vs ford final, both were in control of their games.Only two teams didnt field due to deaths in their parish.
That Ardglass minor team have improved big time from the team they were at U16 level.They beat l'island and c'duff who are both a league above them.B'ford as usual have a very strong team, id say they would have had too much for the town in the final.

tirnaog

Any body hear how the s down sevens went and where were they played this year ???

DownFanatic

Quote from: DaUmpire on May 03, 2009, 06:07:27 PM
Was at the East Down 7s this morning in Bright.Great venue for the 7s to be held,plenty of car parking spaces,good changing facilities and two pitches one decent and the other one of the best in the county. When I lefted the town were plyn d'cross in one semi with ardglass an b'ford playning in the other.More than likely a town vs ford final, both were in control of their games.Only two teams didnt field due to deaths in their parish.
That Ardglass minor team have improved big time from the team they were at U16 level.They beat l'island and c'duff who are both a league above them.B'ford as usual have a very strong team, id say they would have had too much for the town in the final.

I have the utmost repect for anybody who takes up a position within any voluntary association but I have to roundly critiscise the East Down Board for the arrangements for the Minor Feis 7s which were ran today.

The games were played off on Bright's two pitches. However, there were no portable goals available and the matches had to be played on full size pitches. Now, Bright's training pitch isnt exactly full size but it is still too big for 7's. However, their main field would have similar enough dimensions to Croke Park. Most of the games were played on it and it was an absolute joke to see a 7s game on a full size pitch.

DaUmpire

I have the utmost repect for anybody who takes up a position within any voluntary association but I have to roundly critiscise the East Down Board for the arrangements for the Minor Feis 7s which were ran today.
The games were played off on Bright's two pitches. However, there were no portable goals available and the matches had to be played on full size pitches. Now, Bright's training pitch isnt exactly full size but it is still too big for 7's. However, their main field would have similar enough dimensions to Croke Park. Most of the games were played on it and it was an absolute joke to see a 7s game on a full size pitch.
[/quote]
Todays 7s was a big improvement on last years which was held in kilclief. last year there was no were to park, teams were getting changed beside cars and there was a second pitch set up behind the changing rooms on a hill.Kilclief used a full side pitch last year, Would agree that a full side pitch should be split in half or 3 quarters

western exile

Congratulations to the Co. Down man, John McKinney, who won the Ulster Gaa Volunteer of the Year award in the Small Club category.

Anthony McMullen, of St Mary's, Rasharkin, picked up his award in the Large Club category,
Martin Mullan, of John Mitchell's GAC, Glenullin, won the Medium Club award,
while John McKenny, from Dromara GAC, landed the Small Club award.

http://www.irishnews.com/articles/597/5776/2009/5/2/616574_380163496477Clubvolun.html

Square Ball

we usually criticise refs on here, so heres something different.

Our 3rds were due to play Bright last night at 7 and no ref appeared, long story, so a few calls were made and at very short notice one appeared and was clapped onto the field by the players and some of the crowd. Fair play to him for giving up his Sunday evening.

tirnaog

Quote from: Square Ball on May 04, 2009, 11:02:29 AM

Our 3rds were due to play Bright last night at 7 and no ref appeared, long story, so a few calls were made and at very short notice one appeared and was clapped onto the field by the players and some of the crowd. Fair play to him for giving up his Sunday evening.
Fair play to who ever it was that turned up to do it at such short notice,how did he perform ,I have been to a club game every week in div 3 and I have to say that the refing is getting worse must be frustrating for the players

Square Ball

Quote from: tirnaog on May 04, 2009, 04:17:01 PM

Fair play to who ever it was that turned up to do it at such short notice,how did he perform ,I have been to a club game every week in div 3 and I have to say that the refing is getting worse must be frustrating for the players

No problems at all, cant say that about all the refs all the time

tirnaog

Quote from: Square Ball on May 04, 2009, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: tirnaog on May 04, 2009, 04:17:01 PM

No problems at all, cant say that about all the refs all the time
dont get me wrong there are some good refs but they all should all be brought up to a standard some refs just take the piss the way they walk around after a game